• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

World War Wii [Over]

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I've signed up! My NNID is AmphiGamer.
Are the matches going to be best 2/3, or just a single match? And are we locked into a single character for the whole thing?

Cody100

Smash Cadet
I've signed up! My NNID is AmphiGamer.
Are the matches going to be best 2/3, or just a single match? And are we locked into a single character for the whole thing?
Best 2/3 and you can switch whenever you want. You don't have to say you are changing either.

StarKun

Smash Champion
NNID
Star-Kun
well, damn I missed it..

I figured I would. Oh well, can't wait till next week when i hopefully remember that it's up.

Less

Smash Cadet
Why does everyone play with 2 stocks?
While most offline tournaments have, I believe, moved onto 3 stocks, I think that most online tournaments are sticking with two simply because online matches generally move a bit slower. Currently, the tournament takes a total of 3 hours (2 hours for all except the top 8). If we increased it to 3 stocks, we would likely see the same results while making the tournament take at least an hour more. For the most part, it's just not worth it.

Grass

Smash Lord
While most offline tournaments have, I believe, moved onto 3 stocks, I think that most online tournaments are sticking with two simply because online matches generally move a bit slower. Currently, the tournament takes a total of 3 hours (2 hours for all except the top 8). If we increased it to 3 stocks, we would likely see the same results while making the tournament take at least an hour more. For the most part, it's just not worth it.
Fair enough.

Lancelot

Smash Rookie
How does one receive the rewards for placing in the top 4? PayPal I presume? Also, is there no fee for entering?

Less

Smash Cadet
How does one receive the rewards for placing in the top 4? PayPal I presume? Also, is there no fee for entering?
There are 3 options for rewards:
1) PayPal
2) Amazon Giftcard
3) Nintendo Game(s) totalling equal or lesser value purchasable, in the form of a download code, through http://www.nintendo.com/games (I will cover tax for this)

And correct, this tournament is free to enter every week

Lancelot

Smash Rookie
There are 3 options for rewards:
1) PayPal
2) Amazon Giftcard
3) Nintendo Game(s) totalling equal or lesser value purchasable, in the form of a download code, through (I will cover tax for this)

And correct, this tournament is free to enter every week
Wow, that's awesome. Looking forward to competing next week and afterwards~ Also, have you considered switching to 3 stock 8 minute format? One last thing, I don't see a stagelist so am I missing something?? lol

Less

Smash Cadet
Wow, that's awesome. Looking forward to competing next week and afterwards~ Also, have you considered switching to 3 stock 8 minute format? One last thing, I don't see a stagelist so am I missing something?? lol
Haven't considered changing format yet

If we increased it to 3 stocks, we would likely see the same results while making the tournament take at least an hour more. For the most part, it's just not worth it.
Regarding the stage list, it is listed under the rules on the bracket. The main reason is because we do something in this tournament called the "Starter Stage" which is the stage that every set begins on. It's voted on before the tournament every week and the options consist FD, BF, SV, T&C, DH. After this game the loser counterpicks their stage - the winner does not ban stages. Also, when changing between games, players are allowed to change their character without informing their opponent. While this is different from most tournaments, it is done in order to account for the online factor and make the tournament run easier and smoother for all.

All legal counterpicks:
Town & City
Battlefield
Final Destination / Any Omega
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Delfino Island
Wuhu Island
Duck Hunt
Kongo Jungle
Smashville

Last edited:

Lancelot

Smash Rookie
Haven't considered changing format yet

Regarding the stage list, it is listed under the rules on the bracket. The main reason is because we do something in this tournament called the "Starter Stage" which is the stage that every set begins on. It's voted on before the tournament every week and the options consist FD, BF, SV, T&C, DH. After this game the loser counterpicks their stage - the winner does not ban stages. Also, when changing between games, players are allowed to change their character without informing their opponent. While this is different from most tournaments, it is done in order to account for the online factor and make the tournament run easier and smoother for all.

All legal counterpicks:
Town & City
Battlefield
Final Destination / Any Omega
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Delfino Island
Wuhu Island
Duck Hunt
Kongo Jungle
Smashville
Coolio, idk if you're considering input, but I believe DH should be a counterpick, not a potential Starter Stage. There're definitely elements that are advantageous for some characters and completely shutdown other characters. It's a perfect stage for circle camping, especially against a character like Little Mac who is a contender this for the 27th. Counterpick, sure imo.
Thanks for all of the info btw. Don't want to be asking questions and slowing things down the day of lol

Less

Smash Cadet
Coolio, idk if you're considering input, but I believe DH should be a counterpick, not a potential Starter Stage. There're definitely elements that are advantageous for some characters and completely shutdown other characters. It's a perfect stage for circle camping, especially against a character like Little Mac who is a contender this for the 27th. Counterpick, sure imo.
Thanks for all of the info btw. Don't want to be asking questions and slowing things down the day of lol
Yeah definitely better to ask now rather than later! Always here to answer! And it's funny you mention that because we were talking about eliminating DH today before it started specifically due to Little Mac. I think we're going to eliminate it as a starter, still allow it for counterpicking, and make camping on the trees against the rules. Since it'll be the counterpick, even if someone goes there and beats Mac he'll still have his counterpick to take it back on.

Lancelot

Smash Rookie
Yeah definitely better to ask now rather than later! Always here to answer! And it's funny you mention that because we were talking about eliminating DH today before it started specifically due to Little Mac. I think we're going to eliminate it as a starter, still allow it for counterpicking, and make camping on the trees against the rules. Since it'll be the counterpick, even if someone goes there and beats Mac he'll still have his counterpick to take it back on.
Glad my opinion is shared among you guys lol. Will you be updating any info on these tourneys frequently on twitter? I followed and I'm very active so that could be a good way for me to be updated. Also, are the results for these being uploaded to the Smashboards rankings?

Cody100

Smash Cadet
Glad my opinion is shared among you guys lol. Will you be updating any info on these tourneys frequently on twitter? I followed and I'm very active so that could be a good way for me to be updated. Also, are the results for these being uploaded to the Smashboards rankings?
He doesn't post much on twitter aside from the roster for the week, tweet saying it's starting soon, who won the week, and important announcements. Also as far as I'm aware of he doesn't upload it to the rankings.

Last edited:

Lancelot

Smash Rookie
He doesn't post much on twitter aside from the roster for the week, tweet saying it's starting soon, who won the week, and important announcements. Also as far as I'm aware of he doesn't upload it to the rankings.
If these can be uploaded to this rankings, I think they should be. Idk if online tournaments count, but if they do, then these would give unknown players an opportunity to get up there and make names for themselves.

Cody100

Smash Cadet
If these can be uploaded to this rankings, I think they should be. Idk if online tournaments count, but if they do, then these would give unknown players an opportunity to get up there and make names for themselves.
Perhaps, could be a topic to talk about on Saturday.

Less

Smash Cadet
I'm not so sure I want these uploaded to rankings simply because I don't want this tournament to have a hyper-competitive nature around it. Sure I want it to be competitive, but I want people to try new characters and have fun more than doing whatever it takes to win.

Hedgehog64(Ven0m)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hedgehog64
Just entered. So how does this work? When and how will I know who I'm fighting and such. This is my first time here

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
If you're signed up click one of the chatzy links in the original post around 1:45 PM EST on the tourney day. Then you will wait till the tourney is officially started and you should find your opponent then. Good luck.

Torterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Serranokids
3DS FC
4356-2568-8654
This Saturday will be my first time entering this tournament, but it looks like I've missed out. Think you'll do Miis again sometime? Also, I'd really like to do a doubles tournament some time, if you could make that possible I'd have a lot of fun.

Less

Smash Cadet
This Saturday will be my first time entering this tournament, but it looks like I've missed out. Think you'll do Miis again sometime? Also, I'd really like to do a doubles tournament some time, if you could make that possible I'd have a lot of fun.
If you're talking Mii's Only it may be back one day in the future! Regarding doubles though - it is definitely something that I am interested in because I think it opens an entirely new well of potential. While I currently do not have any plans for it in this tournament (yet), if I ever create other tournaments this is definitely one of my ideas!

Torterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Serranokids
3DS FC
4356-2568-8654
Sounds good man, if you ever need help organizing doubles I'd gladly help. If someone doesn't have a partner you could always pair them up with someone random. And it does seem very fun, may I suggest doing one on Friday and the other on Saturday, or Sunday?

Lord_Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fogottenknight
3DS FC
2509-2089-2582
Sounds good man, if you ever need help organizing doubles I'd gladly help. If someone doesn't have a partner you could always pair them up with someone random. And it does seem very fun, may I suggest doing one on Friday and the other on Saturday, or Sunday?
I agree I've seen a lot of tournaments on saturday *cough cough we're in one together every week cough cough*. It'd be cool if this was moved to one of those days so other people can join this (me).

Last edited:

Torterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Serranokids
3DS FC
4356-2568-8654
I agree I've seen a lot of tournaments on saturday *cough cough we're in one together every week cough cough*. It'd be cool if this was moved to one of those days so other people can join this (me).
Yeah, other people would also be able to enter this tournament too (me) *laughs* if this were moved to Friday or Sunday I'd be able to enter and not choose over one every Saturday, so would many others.

Less

Smash Cadet
Since it's a weekly I like to keep the day of the week the same just to make it simple to remember. When it first started it actually WAS on Sunday at 2PM EST but I had people complain that they would prefer it another day. I wanted this to be the tournament that the community wants so I created a poll in order to see what was the most preferred day / time. Saturday at 2PM EST won. With the recent high turn-out (and a pretty big announcement coming on Saturday, which will also have a poll attached) I may be looking to see what day / time people want for good again - so stay tuned if you want it on a different day!

But, that being said, if there is ever a day that I am busy on Saturday - I will gladly move it to either Friday or Sunday, so you never know!

Torterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Serranokids
3DS FC
4356-2568-8654
Since it's a weekly I like to keep the day of the week the same just to make it simple to remember. When it first started it actually WAS on Sunday at 2PM EST but I had people complain that they would prefer it another day. I wanted this to be the tournament that the community wants so I created a poll in order to see what was the most preferred day / time. Saturday at 2PM EST won. With the recent high turn-out (and a pretty big announcement coming on Saturday, which will also have a poll attached) I may be looking to see what day / time people want for good again - so stay tuned if you want it on a different day!

But, that being said, if there is ever a day that I am busy on Saturday - I will gladly move it to either Friday or Sunday, so you never know!
I see, well Saturday is the best day, the thing is, there's another tournament on Saturdays that my friend and I always join, I know you probably wouldn't change the day just for a couple people, but I would like it on Sunday. I'll keep up with your updates though, thanks.

Less

Smash Cadet
I see, well Saturday is the best day, the thing is, there's another tournament on Saturdays that my friend and I always join, I know you probably wouldn't change the day just for a couple people, but I would like it on Sunday. I'll keep up with your updates though, thanks.
Yeah I know this is often an issue, hence having people vote on it. Personally, I would prefer Sundays but I'm just trying to do my best and accommodate as many as I can!

Torterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Serranokids
3DS FC
4356-2568-8654
Yeah I know this is often an issue, hence having people vote on it. Personally, I would prefer Sundays but I'm just trying to do my best and accommodate as many as I can!
I understand, I'm sure it's not easy for you, I'll see when I can join your tournament

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
instead of swiss rounds which take forever and are usually unfair due to people not showing, why not trying to just do pools? top 2 advance?

Less

Smash Cadet
instead of swiss rounds which take forever and are usually unfair due to people not showing, why not trying to just do pools? top 2 advance?
We previously used Double Elimination to do the brackets up until last week (1/10). We used Hypest rules which were Swiss since we decided to see if a partnership between us would work. After some examination, we've decided to stray from this as the participants of our tournaments have different desires from each of us. We're back to double elimination now, and 2 stocks now so this week will be much quicker. The 2 stocks for this week is just a placeholder as we have a poll going to see what people prefer: http://strawpoll.me/3381210 . This will be used for weeks 10+

Cody100

Smash Cadet
What's the stage list?
The stage list is on the challonge page. The starter stage changes every week between Smashville, T&C, BattleField, FD, and Lylat. The starter stage for the week is decided on a poll by the community, however it most of the times ends up being Smashville.
Also, what are the rules for stage striking in this tourney?
There is no stage striking, the tournament focuses on a more have fun mentality than a hardcore, serious, competitive mentality.

Top Bottom