• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Working on an "Art of Ike" Esque Video

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
.... Well it'll obviously not be a clone of Izaw's video and will have a different title.

I don't need to tell any of you how underutilized ike is.

Only thing driving me really is I mained Ike in brawl so I'm well aware of just how difficult it is to win with him.

(My friend Ryuga will be providing some example clips against people he plays offline and I'll be doing the bulk of the editing.)

>Changes from Brawl
---Jabbing/tilts, etc.

>Basic Moves
---Followups/True Combos
---Properties of said move (i.e. super armor, etc.)

And etc.

Only posting here for advice, friendly suggestions, death threats (pls no) or anything else you guys might have concerns about. We have plenty to talk about atm but if we hear a better suggestion it would be awesome to talk about it.

Cheers.

edit: if anyone else wants to submit clips too I don't mind doing that. If this guide gets enough attention too we can explore a community ike highlight video as well.

Last edited:

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
In general I think we'll be focusing on him more as a character/in the neutral then his matchups since the game is still crazy early and matchups by and away are the one thing that develop more then any aspects of the neutral outside of gimmicks.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
-Go over all of his various throw combos in depth, including their percent ranges and the early percents where you can combo into the throw
-Autocanceling Bair/Fair, and low landing lag on Nair
-Gush over Dtilt
-The uses of perfect pivoted Ftilt (and Utilt/Dtilt to a lessor extent)
-Explain how Eruption can hit during the ledge snap frames that lack invincibility
-All of the various edgeguarding tools Ike has (Downward angled Ftilt, Dsmash, Fsmash, Eruption, Dtilt, Fair, Bair, Dair)
-Have a section for customs. For Tempest (recovery boost, massive windbox), CQC (eats projectiles for breakfast), and Para Counter (sets up kills depending on the percentages) at least with a briefer overview of what Aether Drive (damage and horizontal range) and Aether Wave (speed, unreflectable projectile, super armour on landing) bring

-What I feel is particularly important: show how Ike can play faster than he looks. Go over his actually pretty great air speed and decent run speed. Show gameplay that mainly uses Jab, Dtilt, Fair, Bair, Nair, and Grab to show how fluid it can ultimately look.

Mock the people who think Ike in SSB4 is just Brawl!Ike without jab cancels, less range, less power in exchange for a little bit of speed

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Yes. In addition to everything said above by the others, do also consider the following:

- Pivot F-smash
- Auto-cancelled Quick Draw

As for video clips, I was only able to procure footage from FG. Would these be acceptable?

^-^

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
it's worth giving tips for his recovery, at least mentioning the time during his side b where he can up b. tips for dealing with zoning could help, without a stock lead ike's not forcing approaches

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far everyone. We'll definitely consider each and every last one.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Some other things:

* Out of Shield Options - Best to give this it's own section seeing as how we all have a general consensus that Ike should be played more defensively. Jab, Grab, D-Tilt, B-Air are the go-to options, Up-Tilt for a harder punish.

* Dash into Up-Smash - It's good for Mix-Ups and punishing the opponent, or catching them as they're landing. You can also dash > pivot > JC Up-Smash

* Quickdraw - Good for Mix-Ups, closing space, hitting the opponent right after they knock you back, and punishing when you're not fast enough to dash over to your opponent. They usually don't see it coming either.

* Counter - I know it's generally frowned upon, but Counter is a lot better than most people give it credit for. It gimps a couple recoveries and if used sparingly/ correctly, can get a kill or at least a hard punish. It lasts deceptively long and lets people know they can't just throw out attacks for free.

* Up-Tilt - Still can't stress how much this single move improved my Ike. Great range, decent speed, and a kill move. Good for catching opponents landing, jumping into you, and attacking through platforms. I've even had success with Jab > Up-Tilt as it plays a decent mindgame.

* Ledge-Trump + B-Air - One of our early kill options, not too much to explain about this.

* Setting C-Stick to Tilts - I feel this is more important for Ike players as it really opens up new options to us. Pivot D-Tilts/ U-Tilts OoS, or Perfect Pivot D-Tilts/ U-Tilts are AMAZING with Ike. Also our Smash attacks aren't/ shouldn't be used enough to keep them on the C-Stick.

Finally, just have some overall tips about how to play smart with Ike. Lots of empty hops, wait for airdodges, spacing attacks, run-away aerials, RAR, don't just press buttons and leave yourself open, etc.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Aether Spikes should at least be mentioned for a small portion. I have caught a few foes completely off guard when they chased me off-stage when they were down a stock and found themselves losing the match. Knowing how to space it so you grab the ledge or knowing when to forfeit your stock to take your foe down couldn't hurt to at least be aware of, even if you should sparingly use this.

Last edited:

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Cannot wait to see the finish product.

Maybe talk about this? It can catch a lot of people off guard if they stay too close to the ledge.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
Haven't started work with cody.

Sorry for the delayed reply all, been working on a friends highlight video and just got started brainstorming with another's friend. I have gotten started on the ike guide, selecting a general themed font this morning and trying to find suitable music for the video though.

Not sure when it'll be finished, but it won't be an incredibly long time.

Last edited:

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
* Ledge-Trump + B-Air - One of our early kill options, not too much to explain about this.
This doesn't always work if the enemy can see it coming. Most characters can air dodge your Bair before it comes out, and Bair you back, knocking you out of recovery range unless you have Aether Drive equipped and you're lucky.

A safer option you can do is this; after ledge trumping, instead of doing a Bair, you can climb back up to the ledge and start charging Eruption. Since they already grabbed the edge, the enemy won't get invincibility frames when they grab the ledge again. So when they get back, unleash Eruption and watch as they lose a stock. B)

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Ooooo this sounds great. Any idea on how long this all will take? (Yes I'm impatient :p)

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
Ooooo this sounds great. Any idea on how long this all will take? (Yes I'm impatient :p)
Starting the blunt of the work tonight, got some replays I have to record for a friend and need to get that done. it's probably going to be a long video, but the editing in these is generally easier. I HATE generic titles but thinking something like Path of Radiance: A SSB4 Ike Guide will be the title.

Could be done relatively soon, at least I hope so.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
^Awesome song suggestion.

Working on rendering a "trailer" which is really just the first song and what I've patched together of the introduction. First stuff I will be including is "Emiya" from fate stay, and thinking of using ablaze^ as nidtendofreak linked for the second song.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
If only it were that easy to shield-break with Ike...
I wish the same.

The intro will be tidied up as well, title changed if need be, etc. it's a little rough around the edges. Everything else after the intro is looking nice at the moment.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
Actually, come to think of it, probably going to start over from scratch on the intro and use the song listed above. Not to happy with it

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
You've probably already got the layout planned, but maybe a section on how to deal with projectiles might be a good addition. I think Ike has a unique backwards jump (the backflip) which seems to distort his hitbox and allows him to smoothly maneuver some projectiles and gives him the option to b-air in the process. I've exclusively played FG so my opinion probably doesn't hold much weight, but it's given me a lot of mileage in the online environment.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
You've probably already got the layout planned, but maybe a section on how to deal with projectiles might be a good addition. I think Ike has a unique backwards jump (the backflip) which seems to distort his hitbox and allows him to smoothly maneuver some projectiles and gives him the option to b-air in the process. I've exclusively played FG so my opinion probably doesn't hold much weight, but it's given me a lot of mileage in the online environment.
Video is actually done lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ42_STL1-w

just forgot to link in this thread

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
D'oh! Maybe something to include in another video (if you make one)! The video is pretty sick. I really could've used that when I was starting out.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
D'oh! Maybe something to include in another video (if you make one)! The video is pretty sick. I really could've used that when I was starting out.
I'm hoping to make another one in the future, I'm just video'd out at the moment

Top Bottom