• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Working on a guide for choosing a main and need your help!

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Hello there!

With the Smash scene growing and many more new players still to come, I though I would make a little guide highlighting each characters strengths and specialties, to help anyone take their first step into competitive Smash, or for anyone contemplating picking up another to their personal roster!

The main dilemma I have is I don't main EVERYONE in P:M, nor am I a self-proclaimed Smash genius. So, I thought I'd ask you guys, the experts to your respective mains! If you could help me out by filling out a few lines of info for me, I'll be collecting the data and responses during the week and compiling them. Once it's all collected, I'll release the guide (somewhere on the boards, not sure yet...). So if you could take a few minutes to help, I would really appreciate it!

Pros: Strengths and advantages of this character!

Cons: Weaknesses and disadvantages!

Character Specifics to Learn: Techniques exclusive to only this character (example: Squirtle's shell abilities)

Similar To: Characters that play similar to this one or have a similar strategy.

Secondaries that Compliment: A secondary character that covers certain weaknesses the main has.

(Optional) Best video example of this character in action.

Cheers!

(Sorry if you see this thread posted in multiple character forums, I find the best way to gather info is to ask directly!)

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
@ WispBae WispBae

In general about your idea:
The idea seems good, I also thought about it once, it would be optimal if we could get some kind of character profiles...
I think you should make give different keywords that you either give to a character or not, then some kind of 0 to 10 scale for different needed skills for the character (APM, pateince, reaction, creativity etc.), plus a kind of bar between passive and aggressive where you have like two limits and in between there is the range for playing the character individual while still optimal.
Possibly also a matchup chart and character-specific frame data.
I could also contribute for more characters.

Pros: Huge grab range, great traction value (too high -> little wavedash; too low -> you can't punish shield pressure as good and CCing gets harder), good combo game at low and mid %s, high range (spacing characters out...)

Cons: Hard to combo into kill moves at high %s, no lasting hitbox, no combo breaker, subpar recovery

Character specifics to learn: (Pivot f-smash/u-tilt/d-tilt (universal but really important for Marth), Ken combo (fair->dair) and other dair setups, Up-throw chaingrabs on fastfallers/combos on average fallspeed, Spacing...)
No really unique techskill as in the example but in the brackets there are most things more important for Marth than for others

Similar to: Movesetwise Roy, otherwise just similarities in little areas

Secondaries to compliment: Marth hasn't got a matchup to force him to switch away, but every top/high tier would be a good secondary

Top Bottom