• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Working on a guide for choosing a main and need your help!

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Hello there!

With the Smash scene growing and many more new players still to come, I though I would make a little guide highlighting each characters strengths and specialties, to help anyone take their first step into competitive Smash, or for anyone contemplating picking up another to their personal roster!

The main dilemma I have is I don't main EVERYONE in P:M, nor am I a self-proclaimed Smash genius. So, I thought I'd ask you guys, the experts to your respective mains! If you could help me out by filling out a few lines of info for me, I'll be collecting the data and responses during the week and compiling them. Once it's all collected, I'll release the guide (somewhere on the boards, not sure yet...). So if you could take a few minutes to help, I would really appreciate it!

Pros: Strengths and advantages of this character!

Cons: Weaknesses and disadvantages!

Character Specifics to Learn: Techniques exclusive to only this character (example: Squirtle's shell abilities)

Similar To: Characters that play similar to this one or have a similar strategy.

Secondaries that Compliment: A secondary character that covers certain weaknesses the main has.

(Optional) Best video example of this character in action.

Cheers!

(Sorry if you see this thread posted in multiple character forums, I find the best way to gather info is to ask directly!)

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
This thread is good and all, I was gonna make one like this in the future, but im holding off cuz with the next release coming up idk how much of this stuff will change, meaning you would have to go and re edit your thread for every character potentially. But ill still sorta give you generic info.

Pros:
-Great offstage game
-Top recovery
-Floaty to help avoid combos
-Great combo game
-Low crouch for easy evasion
-Gets a lot of damage off of dthrow, whether tech chase or chain grab
-Great bait and punish game
-Great edgeguard game
-Lots of killing combo finishers
-Tons of different viable playstyles, and can switch up mid match
-Copy adds versatility, and people dont know how to deal with the gimmick.
-Air/Command grab to help with mindgames, and provides more options.
-No super "bad" stages, cant get heavily counterpicked stage wise.

Cons
-Lightweight, dies fast
-Poor ground game
-No viable projectile
-Poor range
-Punishable approaches if whiffed
-Dependent on mindgames
-Momentum based

Character Specifics: Aside from the obvious ones that people might list, ill have some of my own
-Hammer edge cancel
-HUP cancel
-Wavebounce hammer
-Nairplane
-Cutter Dash waveland
-Final Cutter Telestep
-Cutter dash slope cancells
-Cutter dash stage cancells
-Land cancelled dash attacks
-Backwards ledge grabbed Final Cutter spike
-Rock Combos (Rock > Hammer, Rock > Uair/Bair)
-Tons of copy ability ATs
-Waveland out of Bair/Uair
-Bair > Nair sheild pressure
-Footstool > Nair/Rock
-Fair, Bair, and Uair AC from a SH
-Should know how to wavedash oos
-Lots more i cant think of and might change

Similar To:
-Melee Sheik, Puff, Falcon, and Peach.
-PM Pit, Wario

Secondaries:
-Idk, I just know Kirby has trouble with disjoints. So another character with disjoints probably helps (Marth, Pit, etc.)

Videos:
-There was this one tournament where Chu played half way decent, dont remember what S@X that was tho. Other ones of Chu will just be a bad example and hold back Kirby's true potential. But as for Kirby, watching Mango, M2K, or Armada's Kirby in Melee will give some good ideas. Tons of Brawl Kirby stuff works too. Also look at video's that this character is similar to, for example M2K's sheik in Melee, or Zero's Pit in PM for great ideas. Look at how they zone with their aerials/tilts, how they edgeguard, etc. ignore projectile use (but you can copy them so i guess it helps) The moves dont transfer over quite easy, but the general idea is still there.
-For copy, a lot of people dont have videos on how to use them quite properly yet. Look at Yass's Pit in Brawl for Pit's arrow usage. Will's DK in Brawl for charge punch usage. And so on, just find creative ways to use them.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
This thread is good and all, I was gonna make one like this in the future, but im holding off cuz with the next release coming up idk how much of this stuff will change, meaning you would have to go and re edit your thread for every character potentially. But ill still sorta give you generic info.

Pros:
-Great offstage game
-Top recovery
-Floaty to help avoid combos
-Great combo game
-Low crouch for easy evasion
-Gets a lot of damage off of dthrow, whether tech chase or chain grab
-Great bait and punish game
-Great edgeguard game
-Lots of killing combo finishers
-Tons of different viable playstyles, and can switch up mid match
-Copy adds versatility, and people dont know how to deal with the gimmick.
-Air/Command grab to help with mindgames, and provides more options.
-No super "bad" stages, cant get heavily counterpicked stage wise.

Cons
-Lightweight, dies fast
-Poor ground game
-No viable projectile
-Poor range
-Punishable approaches if whiffed
-Dependent on mindgames
-Momentum based

Character Specifics: Aside from the obvious ones that people might list, ill have some of my own
-Hammer edge cancel
-HUP cancel
-Wavebounce hammer
-Nairplane
-Cutter Dash waveland
-Final Cutter Telestep
-Cutter dash slope cancells
-Cutter dash stage cancells
-Land cancelled dash attacks
-Backwards ledge grabbed Final Cutter spike
-Rock Combos (Rock > Hammer, Rock > Uair/Bair)
-Tons of copy ability ATs
-Waveland out of Bair/Uair
-Bair > Nair sheild pressure
-Footstool > Nair/Rock
-Fair, Bair, and Uair AC from a SH
-Should know how to wavedash oos
-Lots more i cant think of and might change

Similar To:
-Melee Sheik, Puff, Falcon, and Peach.
-PM Pit, Wario

Secondaries:
-Idk, I just know Kirby has trouble with disjoints. So another character with disjoints probably helps (Marth, Pit, etc.)

Videos:
-There was this one tournament where Chu played half way decent, dont remember what S@X that was tho. Other ones of Chu will just be a bad example and hold back Kirby's true potential. But as for Kirby, watching Mango, M2K, or Armada's Kirby in Melee will give some good ideas. Tons of Brawl Kirby stuff works too. Also look at video's that this character is similar to, for example M2K's sheik in Melee, or Zero's Pit in PM for great ideas. Look at how they zone with their aerials/tilts, how they edgeguard, etc. ignore projectile use (but you can copy them so i guess it helps) The moves dont transfer over quite easy, but the general idea is still there.
-For copy, a lot of people dont have videos on how to use them quite properly yet. Look at Yass's Pit in Brawl for Pit's arrow usage. Will's DK in Brawl for charge punch usage. And so on, just find creative ways to use them.
Thanks for the comprehensive list!

Pokemon-master

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fadi
3DS FC
0791-2291-3156
so i can help a bit noting you already have kirby i can do this for my second main pikachu (anyone feel free to ad anything i miss im not perfect at this im still a bit new at competitive battling in project m)

Pros:

• decently fast
  • short + ability to crawl can help dodge stuff like foxes blaster
  • wall jump
  • strong up and side smashes
  • good combo ability out of down smash and thunder
  • thunder jolt makes good spacing
  • quick attack helps with edge gardening
  • headbutt can trap to rack up %
  • good aerial game
  • some perty awesome hats lol (doesn't really help but they are cute)
Cons:
  • light weight so easy to k.o at low percent
  • small sheld
  • thunder and thunder jolt can easly be hindered my stage platform

Character Specifics to Learn:
quick attack cancelnice chain grab up smash combo to get quick kill

Similar To: pichu lol

Secondaries that Compliment: ice climers or mewtwoare ones i see alot

a ggod vid i found is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfMSjXROBHU&list=UUj1J3QuIftjOq9iv_rr7Egw
the pikachu (tkbreezy) may have lost but i it was a close match and he did good

Last edited: