• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worded Combos for Toon Link

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Hi there. I'm new to Toon Link but I am also a pro with MK (literally- I'm honest) so I've got experience in brawl and I have seen many of TL's combo vids but it's hard to look at them and perform them in real brawls so could anyone please tell me in words (e.g. uair to up-B) what recommended actions there are for a repeated string of attacks that reduces the risk of them countering. Anyway I would really appreciate it because in looking at worded lists of combo sets I can truly develop my TL skills and as Santi said he/she wants more and more TK pros so... I would love it if someone could list some worded combo (or useful strings of attacks) lists here.
Finally I'd like to ask since TK's grab technique is slightly slower than others (likewise Samus, Link, ZSS etc.) can someone please tell when I can use it. After which specific attack attempts can I hone the power to grab with TK during a real brawl?

Thank you Smash Forums

HD (My nick)

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
I dont know if this is what you're asking but
bair->bair->bair->more bairs or dair for the suicide
bair->utilt->bair
zair->nair
zair->bombthrow->upsmash (VietG combo)
Fair->nair (from ledge)
bair->nair
zair->grab
returning boomerang->almost anything

but most of the time its just camping. Aggressive TLs get punished for lack or range, except zair of course.
the combos are really really situational and low percents. i really think mastering SHDA and cancelled arrows and things like that are more important.

but then again I'm noob.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
You should shield-grab if your opponent uses a move with a lot of lag. The most advantages time to grab on the offensive would be right after a SH zair

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I dont know if this is what you're asking but
bair->bair->bair->more bairs or dair for the suicide
bair->utilt->bair
zair->nair
zair->bombthrow->upsmash (VietG combo)
Fair->nair (from ledge)
bair->nair
zair->grab
returning boomerang->almost anything

but most of the time its just camping. Aggressive TLs get punished for lack or range, except zair of course.
the combos are really really situational and low percents. i really think mastering SHDA and cancelled arrows and things like that are more important.

but then again I'm noob.
Ok I've never heard of it before but what's a zair?

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
Ok I've never heard of it before but what's a zair?
SHFF and press Z as you fall. Its basically the grapply chain thingy in the air and it spaces well.
It's lagless if you do it correctly. 4%. does not dimish to my knowledge (which is limited)
Cancels airdodges, and if you airdodge and zair, you can hold a bomb.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
You don't have to SHFF. Zair is just Toon Link's aerial tether attack. Basically, it's what happens when you try to grab in the air.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
well heres something I have been told constantly.

1) need more Zair (+ follow uo moves)
2) need more Bair
3) DONT abuse Dair
4) learn to space and camp people

I think that is about it. Bombs are my best friend, idk about you, you just goota find your own comfortable way of playing and if it works go full force. lol if you're wondering how i play just look up how VietGeek plays. I promise you we play the same style but he does his in his own way. I also do not immitate him, I'm not a wana be. I got Redson as a witness I have been playing like that since I started playing Link in 64 >.>

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Watch Vids
If your a pro MK imo the switch is going to be catastrophic
Y?
because your moveing from one of the only aggressive characters to one of the most campy >.<

My wording doesnt seem rude to you does it?
But learn the basics of camping atm consintrate on 1 thing at a time.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
You'll want to learn how to quickdraw/arrow cancel, which is when, right before TL lands from a SH or Full jump hit neutral B to cancel out the starting animation, making a faster released arrow.

Useful for strings like:
Zair > Nair > retreating arrow cancel.
SH > bombpull > Arrow cancel. All in the same SH
SHDA: Sh>arrow at about peak of SH, then arrow again as you land.
Quickdraw can be executed out of most aerials (nair and bair and possible in Fair) Feel free to add more ppls

This is possible at low %. Grab backthrow, then quickly turn around and grab them again. Works against people who havent seen it B4 but thats about it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I've quickdraw'd Uair.
=D

And Zair.

...I should try Dair.... but that would take a lot of effort. ._.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Basically to use zair in the best way, short hop, and immediately hold R/L, and near the bottom of your jump press A. This should be timed to get the maximum length, but you still hit the floor while it's out to cancel the end lag.
Advantages over just pressing Z are:
Catch items with airdodge.
Avoid some attacks before the zair.
Use zair and not drop the bomb/item you are holding.
You can follow up with:
Nair
Bomb->Usmash
Bomb-> whatever
dash attack (I never do this)
Another Zair
Grab

You can mix it up by:
Using it early in your jump.
Not airdodging, and giving the impression that you could use an aerial. If you go this way, sometimes use an aerial to make the opponent doubtful.

Hi there. I'm new to Toon Link but I am also a pro with MK (literally- I'm honest) so I've got experience in brawl and I have seen many of TL's combo vids but it's hard to look at them and perform them in real brawls so could anyone please tell me in words (e.g. uair to up-B) what recommended actions there are for a repeated string of attacks that reduces the risk of them countering. Anyway I would really appreciate it because in looking at worded lists of combo sets I can truly develop my TL skills and as Santi said he/she wants more and more TL pros so... I would love it if someone could list some worded combo (or useful strings of attacks) lists here.
Finally I'd like to ask since TL's grab technique is slightly slower than others (likewise Samus, Link, ZSS etc.) can someone please tell when I can use it. After which specific attack attempts can I hone the power to grab with TL during a real brawl?

Thank you Smash Forums

HD (My nick)
Grab after zair, but only if you know you'll hit their shield.
Shield grab.
stuff.
'Combos' (TL is more of a hit and run, though his close up game is ok)
Spam SH double bair
Spam SHDA on big opponents
Spam U tilt on Space animals
Zair to stuff
Bomb to... stuff.. um.... U smash and

If you want a list of stuff you can do in a short hop:
bair-bair
bair-nair
fair-nair (This is really hard. I can't do it)
nair/fair/bair/bomb pull/bomb throw- quickdraw
bomb throw-nair
bomb throw-zair
arrow-quickdraw
So basically nair and quickdraw can be done after almost every thing.

Full hop (not really useful for combos, just projectiles):
Boomerang-quickdraw
bomb-boomerang
Nair on the way up-zair on the way down
Full hop gives you lots of options, so just experiment.

Top Bottom