• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wood Chip Business

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
The piece of wood that gets flicked out from Villager's Timber attack; I wanted to make a thread about it because it never really seems to come up in discussions of MU's where the opponent has no projectiles (Falcon, Mac) or characters who projectiles make Pocket look like a joke (Fox, Shiek)

You're basically guaranteed to get it at least TWICE a match depending on how often you use Timber (which should be a lot), and I've been messing with it a bit and here's some stuff I got;
  • You can pocket it as soon as it it comes from the tree, so using Pocket as soon as a tree lands is a good insurance plan and good way to keep it from falling offstage if you happen to be near the ledge
  • If it hits, you can just pocket it again, since Pocket's range is so forgiving, you barely need to even walk forward to get it back, it's essentially a grounded fair/bair in that sense because you can zone like crazy
  • If the opponent gets it, it's really just a matter of 'return to sender'. Thank you, Pocket.
I feel like the wood chip is a bit neglected, it could potentially gimp recoveries like ROB and Diddy on the regular, or make Shiek less of a threat to us if we master it!

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
The piece of wood that gets flicked out from Villager's Timber attack; I wanted to make a thread about it because it never really seems to come up in discussions of MU's where the opponent has no projectiles (Falcon, Mac) or characters who projectiles make Pocket look like a joke (Fox, Shiek)

You're basically guaranteed to get it at least TWICE a match depending on how often you use Timber (which should be a lot), and I've been messing with it a bit and here's some stuff I got;
  • You can pocket it as soon as it it comes from the tree, so using Pocket as soon as a tree lands is a good insurance plan and good way to keep it from falling offstage if you happen to be near the ledge
  • If it hits, you can just pocket it again, since Pocket's range is so forgiving, you barely need to even walk forward to get it back, it's essentially a grounded fair/bair in that sense because you can zone like crazy
  • If the opponent gets it, it's really just a matter of 'return to sender'. Thank you, Pocket.
I feel like the wood chip is a bit neglected, it could potentially gimp recoveries like ROB and Diddy on the regular, or make Shiek less of a threat to us if we master it!
the beauty of the wood chip is that you can z-drop it giving for another form of shield pressure.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If you JC Glide Toss the woodchip, you can also get a true combo into ftilt and utilt, etc.

Its definitely an overlooked projectile.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
If you JC Glide Toss the woodchip, you can also get a true combo into ftilt and utilt, etc.

Its definitely an overlooked projectile.
UTilt? That's definitely better than my Nair strings with it.
Are there certain percents this won't work at? I'm more concerned with it being able to kill or not.

Remember that instead of pocketing, if you jump forward and Axe and run with it, doing a SH aerial as the tree hits is an instant pick up.
I've been able to do some nice things with this.

Tree cut Retreating NAir JC Glide Toss Full hop NAir ZDrop DAir.
Thats assuming that the opponent will be in a situation for that; change it up a bit. I've been able to do some nice zdrop edge guards with it as well.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
UTilt? That's definitely better than my Nair strings with it.
Are there certain percents this won't work at? I'm more concerned with it being able to kill or not.

Remember that instead of pocketing, if you jump forward and Axe and run with it, doing a SH aerial as the tree hits is an instant pick up.
I've been able to do some nice things with this.

Tree cut Retreating NAir JC Glide Toss Full hop NAir ZDrop DAir.
Thats assuming that the opponent will be in a situation for that; change it up a bit. I've been able to do some nice zdrop edge guards with it as well.
The wood chip has really low knockback, pretty sure it works if you can use it close enough, in almost any scenario. Gotta test tho.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Short hop z drop, nair/ dair / ff fair, recatch

Toss up, launch gyroid, fair, B reverse pocket to re grab and get away from being punished

Yada yadda . Wood chip business. Fun stuff

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Lloid Rocket, Z-drop Wood chip and bowling ball while opponent is offstage. Good luck coming back from that.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
That it does, but having both the wood chip and bowling ball falling together either forces them to air dodge and be unable to recover or combo into each other and KO.
They wouldn't combo into each other falling one after the other, wood chip would knock them AWAY from the bowling ball :S

If they airdodge the bowling ball, just throw out another one...

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
They wouldn't combo into each other falling one after the other, wood chip would knock them AWAY from the bowling ball :S

If they airdodge the bowling ball, just throw out another one...
At higher percents it stops working as well as I would like, but near 30%, the range I get most of my early kills, the wood chip doesn't have enough knockback to push them that far away. And if they recover low after wasting their second jump, it really scares the opponent into a panic.
But this is a situational setup since getting the wood chip takes too long and getting them offstage while you have the wood chip is hard enough.

Top Bottom