• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wondering if this has been discovered/ has a name...

Deku-Wolf-Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSilverWolf
3DS FC
0516-7379-6307
I found out that in Smash 4, if you start a dash and then immediately flick down on the c stick you do an instant dash attack in the direction you flicked the control stick in. Does this have a name?

3870x2

Smash Rookie
NNID
3870x2
3DS FC
2852-8211-0162
Yeah, we call it the Deku-Wolf-Link. Some dude mentioned it in a smash boards thread.

BRB going to check this out.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Inputting any direction on the c-stick when dashing with perform a dash attack, as you can't do down smash, up smash, or forward smash while being in a full dash animation. Please take this to the Q&A threads next time.

Deku-Wolf-Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSilverWolf
3DS FC
0516-7379-6307
Well, for what I'm talking about it actually does matter which direction you flick the c stick. It only works with down. Where exactly is this Q&A thread, it would be great if you could point me in the right direction?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
On the 3DS, smashing the stick forward, rotating to another direction (or returning to neutral) and then hitting A would result in an instant dash attack, or IDA for short. What you've discovered is that, due to the way the C-stick is interpreted, up and side flicks don't work.

This is probably because the dash is meant to be cancellable into a jump (hence why DACUS exists) and its initiation must cancel into a forward smash to allow players to perform the move by stick (hence why you can't throw out a dash attack from standing by normal means. I guess, since back smash is the same move as forward smash, the game treats them the same for this purpose.
The game cannot, however, do anything with a down smash input during the dash initiation period, meaning that it is ignored and only the attack input from the C-stick can be used. Since smash attacks with the C-stick result in a negation of all main stick input in Smash 4 (until both return to neutral) no forward input will be seen by the game, meaning it will register a neutral attack during dash instead of a forward smash.

I'd be curious as to what happens if you set the C-stick to tilts but, as is, you have not discovered a new technique, only a new and easier means of execution.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Hmm, this will actually be useful for me to know.

Top Bottom