• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's grab game

the_priceisnice

Smash Rookie
It's been pointed out that wolf's throws are awesome. What I'm struggling with though is actually grabbing people. I play very aggressive (of course...wolf...) so the only times I really grab people are following a nair or weak air attack, to punish an up B on stage, or the occasional shield grab. I wanna start mixing in pivot grabs but i get slapped for trying to run through someone.

Also, since I play so aggressively, a lot of the people I play against play defensively, making it harder to grab.

Basically I'm looking for advice on when to go for pivot grabs and just some inspiration for when to go for grabs.

thanks guys

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well, wolf is fast enough that if you incorporate a solid DD into your play you should have no problem baiting and punishing. to punish, wolf can do a multitude of things, his best options being approach with a nair, dair, blaster shot, or grab. because of the multitude of options he has, i never have any trouble mixing grabs in, ESPECIALLY after blaster shots.

also how are you grabbing? i do not recommend using his dash grab at all. its terribly laggy. use a jump cancelled grab. it increases his range by what feels like at least 1.5 times the normal range. and its not laggy like the dash grab version.

in relation to pivot grabs, i dont recommend approaching with them. i typically use them if i suspect a straight forward grounded approach coming, as it punishes those well. you can also use them if your opponent is coming from above like a platform or something, as you can run away/underneath them, then turn around to punish with a pivot grab.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
If you use pivot grabs I think you should use them at close range so they won't know for sure what you're doing at first. Try faking 'em out and reading a roll or a spot dodge. At mid high or high percents you can hit a side B off a back throw too. Try to catch them as they're coming back down as a regrab maybe? And sometimes you can get a regrab off a back throw or down throw and get some chain grabs

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
also if you really want to get fancy, you can do shine grabs. but my guess is that youre probably not to that point yet. probably best to get the fundamentals down first

Vyrulent

Smash Rookie
What I like to do is approach every now and then with a dash attack. If your opponent just shields every time then you can grab them instead. I love to use back throw against most characters. Against floaties it seems to be easy to get a dash attack after a back throw which leads to so much more; against fast fallers if they are at low percent you can normally tech chase them with another grab/dash attack/aerial.

Top Bottom