• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's Cancelled Illusion = greater distance

Yatta Dante

Smash Cadet
You've noticed Wolf keeps most of his momentum when you cancel his Illusion at the start. I was messing around and was able to "cancel" the Illusion, but Wolf had already gone through nearly 100% of the attack.

I had jumped past someone on Final Destination who was trying to recover. I used the Illusion, which got me the successful spike at the end. I would have also lost a stock (because of how after the Illusion, Wolf has practically no horizontal recovery distance), but I had accidentally hit B, which cancelled the Illusion. The momentum I kept at the very end propelled Wolf far enough to land me back on Final Destination. Again, he had almost 100% of his Illusion already out when I cancelled it.

Don't know if anyone has used this at all or not. Just thought I'd post it.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Yup, you can cancel illusion. Depending on when you do it, you can get different lengths too.

And I noticed you live in Bend, OR. My ex lives there, don't remember where though. I just know she works at a 7-11 now (haven't talked to her in a while since she's always busy).

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this has been mentioned on numerous occasions, but I don't think anybody made references to using it as an attack. Rather, just for recovery.
Does the sweet-spot change if you cancel it at different lengths?

My only problem with the cancelled Wolf illusion is timing. I can make it cancel about 50-60% of the time, but its random on if it cancels at the very beginning or closer to the end. I'll need to take alot of time to scientize when to hit B again, but even in training mode I can't seem to get it very consistent.

Theory:
Personally, I'd like to see tip-cancelled Wolf illusions be used in stage scarring, that way you might get a pseudo wavedash right when you land on the stage.
Just some food for thought for the other Wolf mains who are more proficient with the forward B ;)

By the way, use the thread searcher before making new posts. :laugh:

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
I think it loses its sweetspot if you cancel it. The longer cancel is great for recovery. The shorter cancel is also good for recovery, but I think it can be utilized as an attack. If you do it close to your opponent, the illusion will launch them a little and you will land in range for another attack (depening on %). The poor range and startup on this however leaves me skeptical. I can also see this being use as an approach since it's surprising and can be canceled (or not) at two distances. Both these applications are just theory though, I'm not too sure how they will play out in a real match. Without a doubt it's useful for recovery though.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I've actually experimented with this some and found it to be very usefull for recovery, when you can pull it off that is. Unless you have superhuman timing it's almost impossible to control this. I could only cancel it about 50% of the time and could never determine where I would cancel it. Cancelling it while stage scarring could be interesting but it's almost suicidal. If you cancel it in the initial frames your dead period. I couldn't really see this being used as an approach either. I think that although you keep your momentum you can't do anything right after you cancel it.

D

Deleted member

Theory:
Personally, I'd like to see tip-cancelled Wolf illusions be used in stage scarring, that way you might get a pseudo wavedash right when you land on the stage.
Just some food for thought for the other Wolf mains who are more proficient with the forward B
I've done this, and you will literally go like halfway across FD on a WD-like effect if you do the long cancel... Obviously by mistake, but you will "WD"... the short one causes a weird effect where you travel in a ^...

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
This is still good information for new players and thus is good for that point. BUt the fact remains that the cancelled illusion is VERY difficult to preform in rapid succession. Yes, when canceled, the opponent can still be hit although you may OR may not lose your spike(8o% of the time you do lose it though). I've cancelled the illusion ONLY to trip up the opponent(off the edge) and get back on the stage. It's Wavedash like traits aren't even worth discussing as it still comes back down to my first statement:"VERY Difficult to preform in rapid succession". Also, you may not get the same effects, as wolf's illusion has three different cancels attacking differently all in all.

Vista

Smash Journeyman
Canceling it proficiently isn't too hard.

With that said, you can't do anything while sliding >_>

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
I usually do a 1-2 count before pressing B and it usually gives me the horizontal movement. But yeah it's difficult to pull of rapidly and consistently.

aequitas.veritas

Smash Apprentice
i can only cancel it one way and thats the way that when youre in the air kinda moves you horizontally and down. i can do it 50 percent of the time, maybe you could use it as an approach because you can grab right after it

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
I've found if I rapidly mash the B button immediately after doing his Forward B, i have a greater chance of pulling the cancel off, but only the early-cancelled wolf illusion, and thats not the one I want to get down as much.

Back to the drawing board.

Top Bottom