• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf :(

Straw Dog

Smash Rookie
Defensive Wolfs seem to be the only thing that is constantly destroying me. I play a offensive kirby that focuses more on aerial combos than anything else.

They constantly spam his blaster, which stops me in my tracks from getting him up in the air. He has much more range in his smash attacks, and far more power. Same goes for his up B which also ruins my day. Higher priority is annoying too.

So, how do you beat this beast? I can't seem to do much to it. :(

Also, how do you usually deal with projectiles with Kirby?

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
My experience with wolf is that his main and probably only weakness if off the edge
Put him there and keep him there gl

Collif

Smash Rookie
Drybones has a good point, Kirby(in my experience anyway, I've only had the game a week) still seems to be strong around the edge of the map and it's good to keep people like Wolf there. As for projectiles, I just duck and or hop over them to make an approach till you get close enough to pose a threat and they have to stop. If they don't recognize the threat and keep firing you can hop over and hit him with a D-air during his winddown lag and can punish him for even trying.

I really don't have much experience taking on a good Wolf but from my experience of projectile spammers, this should help.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
You're going to have to play defensive (especially when wolf is at 0% damage) and shield grab whenever he attacks you. Dodge attacks and after around 70%, try to go for a forward smash on him. If he's right above you, then go for an upsmash whenever that opportunity comes. Edge guarding also helps and you should try attacking him while he's try to get back on stage. Play mind games and make it look like you're trying to approach him, but just roll back.

Straw Dog

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys, I'm going to play much more defensively. Hope this allows me a lot more victories.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
..... I just duck and or hop over them to make an approach till you get close enough to pose a threat and they have to stop.....
Can't duck his laser. Wolf's too good. Apparently Fox and Falco's lasers can be ducked.

Wolf's main play style is run away shoot lasers, use A A A combo, grab, spam B-air. To avoid the lasers, you simply can't. Just roll around them or jump above. My recommendation for over head attacks are to choose stone drop, final cutter, or down aerial. As for your shield, do not forget that you can jump out of it. When Wolf is spamming lasers, you can shield and then after one hits, jump out of your shield are start flying towards Wolf.

As for his 3 hit combo with A A A, just don't get right in front of him and do a laggy move, thus him punishing you for you lag. Grabs are similar. If he sees you using a laggy attack, he'll grab you. And of course, B-air. He would use this when you're closer, so you'll run away, but then again face those lasers again.

As for his Up B? If he's using that as an offensive attack, I would just have to admit how much he just wants to get slapped for that. Wolf's up-B doesn't necessarily have the fastest start up time and not even the fastest ending lag also. Predict these, Perfect shield them, and run into an up smash (Run ~> C-Stick Up) or Aerial Hammer.

I AM NO PRO. BUT I AM VERY EXPERIENCE.
Though I think I suck at smash. If you want any direct help then add me on Brawl WiFi and I will train you.

EDIT:

Offensive Kirby < Defensive Wolf
Offensive Kirby < Offensive Wolf
Defesive Kirby "not <" Defensive Wolf

Play smart and defensive this match up.

Straw Dog

Smash Rookie
Can't duck his laser. Wolf's too good. Apparently Fox and Falco's lasers can be ducked.

Wolf's main play style is run away shoot lasers, use A A A combo, grab, spam B-air. To avoid the lasers, you simply can't. Just roll around them or jump above. My recommendation for over head attacks are to choose stone drop, final cutter, or down aerial. As for your shield, do not forget that you can jump out of it. When Wolf is spamming lasers, you can shield and then after one hits, jump out of your shield are start flying towards Wolf.

As for his 3 hit combo with A A A, just don't get right in front of him and do a laggy move, thus him punishing you for you lag. Grabs are similar. If he sees you using a laggy attack, he'll grab you. And of course, B-air. He would use this when you're closer, so you'll run away, but then again face those lasers again.

As for his Up B? If he's using that as an offensive attack, I would just have to admit how much he just wants to get slapped for that. Wolf's up-B doesn't necessarily have the fastest start up time and not even the fastest ending lag also. Predict these, Perfect shield them, and run into an up smash (Run ~> C-Stick Up) or Aerial Hammer.

I AM NO PRO. BUT I AM VERY EXPERIENCE.
Though I think I suck at smash. If you want any direct help then add me on Brawl WiFi and I will train you.

EDIT:

Offensive Kirby < Defensive Wolf
Offensive Kirby < Offensive Wolf
Defesive Kirby "not <" Defensive Wolf

Play smart and defensive this match up.
Ya, I tried ducking under them in out last match and it didnt work. : (

Spamming Up B actually seems to be doing a lot for me. Thanks for the advice.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Learn to power shield projectiles. Its really not that hard to do...

As a side note if you walk you can shield at anytime. Whereas you can't shield at the beginning frames of a dash, even if you shield early by holding the direction while you dash then press the shield. So if you fox trot there are a lot of frames in which you cannot shield.

If you want power shielding to be easy then set your shield button to Y or X (with a gamecube control obviously) because it is more sensitive than L or R to shield.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Actually, if he's camping you with his blaster, the best thing to do would be to copy him. Then you can camp just as good as he can, see?

And like these guys have said, play defensively and punish Wolf when he messes up.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
odd i could only beat a wolf after using Kirby spam his aerials forward especially and get his blaster aerials use a lot of them and roll around

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
wow same problem here, I just fought a wolf mainer who sat there, spammed laser, then Fsmashed... I and lost to him I feel like such a noob.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
I guess I can add final cutter will force him to keep reflecting and if you're far enough, it shouldn't matter too much since it probably won't reach you. Spam it a few times and run up to him when he's reflecting and beat the crap out of him =s.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
I guess I can add final cutter will force him to keep reflecting and if you're far enough, it shouldn't matter too much since it probably won't reach you. Spam it a few times and run up to him when he's reflecting and beat the crap out of him =s.
That will only work once or twice before a decent Wolf player figures out what you're doing and anticipates. If I were the Wolf player, I'd approach while Kirby's in the air, shield as Kirby lands, and take advantage of Up-B ending lag.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
That will only work once or twice before a decent Wolf player figures out what you're doing and anticipates. If I were the Wolf player, I'd approach while Kirby's in the air, shield as Kirby lands, and take advantage of Up-B ending lag.
It's better than getting shot at repeatedly ><. But if you keep at a far enough distance, you won't have Wolf next to you when using final cutter and if you see him close enough to you, then I'd try dodging Wolf's forward smash and attack back, or shield grab if you have a full shield still.

I would like to go up against a huge pro wolf player though cause I haven't fought anyone too serious ><.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
I seem to have the exact same problem fighting Wolfs, except I play as Meta Knight, I just can't seem to aviod those lazers and Wolfs smash attacks are crazy strong

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
This is a very convenient thread actually i play as wolf and my friend plays as kirby. We both are very good and are on about the same skill level as each other. One thing iv noticed about kirby is that wolf cannot out aerial him. Use kirby's Fair and you will be able to out aerial him just watch out for his Fair its like an anti spike and will send you flying. As for the blaster spamming problem i cant help you my friends and i have rules against spamming so it doesn't get annoying. As for wolfs smash attacks shield grappling is going to be your best friend. Iv noticed that oddly enough kirby's grab has a longer reach then wolfs when you shield grapple use your down throw and then up tilt him 2-3 times into a smash A. If he gets out of this combo which you can because i can but if they do watch out for his Fsmash and use your Faerial. I hope this helps you i personally play as wolf but i hate laser spammers get wolf by the edge also he has bad recov. moves and good luck

kamekasu

Smash Ace
It's better than getting shot at repeatedly ><. But if you keep at a far enough distance, you won't have Wolf next to you when using final cutter and if you see him close enough to you, then I'd try dodging Wolf's forward smash and attack back, or shield grab if you have a full shield still.

I would like to go up against a huge pro wolf player though cause I haven't fought anyone too serious ><.
I don't see the advantage of shield grabbing. A number of Wolf's attacks carry him past the other player, killing the effectiveness of a shield grab. Plus, he has a reliable shield stab which, if he can get one off, would lead to a devastating combo.

NinjaBunnyZ

Smash Rookie
I seemed to have no problem with wolf. Except when friend plays him. -.- Then i have the problem. Smash, smash, smash, everything he does is smash and seems i have a issue with that. He rarely uses the laser which i don't know why he doesn't use it alot. But other wolfs i have no problem with. If it's a walk off like final destination or bridge of eldin. If he is a range of you that can attack you, try to jump over the projectiles. He shoots them one at a time and doesn't go fast like fox's and falco's.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
I don't see the advantage of shield grabbing. A number of Wolf's attacks carry him past the other player, killing the effectiveness of a shield grab. Plus, he has a reliable shield stab which, if he can get one off, would lead to a devastating combo.
It kinda depends though, if you're not that up-close then he should end up right in front of you if they anticipate you rolling towards them.

And yeah overall Kirby's better than wolf in the air, I don't see why I didn't say that ~_~.

Top Bottom