• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf vs. Donkey Kong Match-Up

Wolf_Tree

Smash Rookie
NNID
Empty_sky137
Donkey Kong:dk2:

Considering the DK match-up thread's existence, I figured that I'd take all of that delicious information and make it easier to read. I loved the format of these match-up threads, and the Wolf board needs more of these. So, why not continue, right? Please, be sure to comment and discuss! I'll be editing this (and future) guides as discussion happens so that they contain the correct info!
(Please give me feedback on how I worded things and such. While I joked around, what's important here is having the raw MU info out there. Also, I have a slightly more defensive outlook, so I will probably recommend blasters a lot more than most. As discussion happens I'll edit out my bias and replace it with more aggressive tools, but until then...)
I. Videos:
If anyone has anything, throw it at me.

II. Overview:
Donkey Kong is a big heavy-weight with a horrifyingly good throw game. Here, we discuss key points and basics of the matchup, we will go into analysis later on.

Donkey Kong's Strengths:
  • Forward Throw combos
  • Powerful kill moves (Neutral B, Fair, Nair, his smash attacks in general)
  • Surprisingly long range (all tilts, Fsmash, Down-B, Up-B)
  • Oh dear god do not let yourself get grabbed.
Donkey Kong's Weaknesses:
  • He's fat, so it's easy to land hits, and even easier to combo due to his weight and size.
  • No projectile/counter/reflect
  • No vertical recovery
Key Points:
  • Please don't get grabbed. I cannot stress this enough.
  • Channel your inner Chillin and Dair offstage. Even with a meteor cancel, DK's recovery can't save him from being sent down.
  • He doesn't have an easy way to counter blasters outside of Powershields, so you can laser camp on larger stages.
  • Just make sure that you don't get predictable; mix up your approach. Use blasters (waveland forward and back), Dair, Nair>Shine>Grab, etc.
  • Don't get grabbed.
III. Matchup Analysis:
Neutral Game:
  • DK will be looking for a throw, so I recommend playing defensively with waveland blasters backwards to keep him away. If you get a hit confirm with a blaster, you can dash attack or grab yourself and pile up the damage.
  • If DK begins running, be careful. The ending frames of his dash attack have super armor, so he will be able to eat your blasters. At the start of his dash attack, the blasters will clanks instead, giving you more time to run or set up more blasters.
  • Watch out for DK's long reach and Uair chains. His tilts, Nair, Fair, and Bair have long enough reach to make rush-down approaches difficult without blaster cover, and if your air-to-ground approaches get predictable, then congrats, have fun getting smacked by Uair> Uair> Nair/Punch.
  • Wolf's Nair>Shine(grab) will be your best friend. Timed perfectly, DK will not be able to react to shield pressure and you will be able to punish him for blocking with a shinegrab.
  • DK is surprisingly fast, but Wolf is faster. Take advantage of platforms and your superior mobility. This will make it a lot harder for DK to catch you while you can rain Dairs and blasters at him all you want.
  • Stay. Away. From Final Destination. You will not be saved if he grabs you. All you'll be able to do is DI and pray to your choice of god/goddess.
Comboing/Punishing Donkey Kong:
  • B-Throw/D-Throw mix-up into Fsmash works well at low percents. After the Fsmash, throw out a laser for oki, and keep up the pressure. At Mid > High percents, Dash Attack normally works out for me. After the dash attack, feel free to keep him in the air with Fair/Uair. At certain percents (around 70 if he DI's "correctly") after an Uair, feel free to Side-B. Make sure to howl.
  • (From the Energem thread) B-Throw> Side-B will begin to work around 76%.
  • Nair>Shine>Nair>Shine>Nair>Shine>Nair>Shine is valid. Keep that monkey crying as you spin to win on hit confirm.
  • F-Smash/D-Smash over Up-Smash for raw kills. Because of DK's weight, it'll be much more difficult to kill him off the top over the sides; Usmash should be used as a combo tool. Of course, read the situation. If you're at the edge of a stage and there's more distance to the side than the top, go for the Up-Smash, but sending him sideways will let you edgeguard. And edgeguarding means Dairs.
  • Take advantage of platforms. If DK tries running away from you, run under him and start Uairing him. If DK begins pressure, run away and take advantage of Wolf's mobility and reset the situation.

Escaping Donkey Kong's Pressure:
  • You outspeed DK. Feel free to run and jump away until the situation is reset.
  • Shine OoS is always wonderful, but ShieldGrabs work just as well. Be careful with shielding though, since your little bubble won't save you from a grab.
  • Waveland Blaster backwards gives you more distance and a projectile to protect yourself from the monkey. Don't forget that the blaster has a hitbox before the blaster comes out because of the bayonet on it as well.

Edgeguarding Donkey Kong:
  • Dare him to Up-B. Or should I say... Dair him! He doesn't have a hitbox on top of him, so smack him into the blast zone and feel good about yourself.
  • If DK does not sweetspot the ledge with his up-b, you can Fsmash him for the kill.
  • Be careful. DK's Nair and Fair can take you down with him if you get too greedy and don't react well.
  • DK doesn't have many options, so really just be smart.

Recovering against Donkey Kong:
  • Wolf. Recover. Ha. Haaa.
  • DK has a lot of edgeguarding tools. Fair and Dair will send you down, while Bair and Nair send you horizontally away. Shinestall, bait him out, and hope for the best.

IV. Stages

Counterpicks:
  • ???
Even:
  • ???

BAN:
  • Final Destination

???:

V. Tricks, Tips, Do's and Don'ts:
Don't:
Do:
Tricks:
Tips:

Credits: Mattscar, Crin, TOGOpuff, TimeMuffinPhD

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Good guide, well written and informative. Just curious, though - Who has the advantage in the match up?

Wolf_Tree

Smash Rookie
NNID
Empty_sky137
I say that Wolf does win the matchup, but just barely. Like, the mu is 55-45. Wolf has a projectile, and a bunch of ways to combo DK. As long as you can get away from his grabs, Wolf wins. Problem is, you're allowed to make 8 mistakes maximum throughout the entire match. Anything more, and you probably lost.

GhidorahTheKing

Smash Rookie
NNID
GodzillaTheKing
Thanks for this. I have some trouble with this matchup for some reason. I need to get better at not getting grabbed.

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Think the formatting needs work on this, I will edit this post aswell to give some things to add to this. It sucks when you have to write everything yourself, so I'll help out :p

Top Bottom