• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf - Lucario matchup help

Segarin

Smash Apprentice
So my buddy and I have been goin hard for almost 2 months now, we've been playing smash casually since smash 64 and have recently begun training to go to tournaments and crap. I main wolf and he mains Lucario. I can not seem to beat Lucario at all with Wolf. Everything he has seems to come out just as fast but also has more reach. I need some help with new ideas on how to beat him. I know that theres no way Lucario is just "broken" and I know it has to be me, especially because I'm so new to the hardcore scene. Can anyone give me some ideas about what advantages wolf has over Lucario? What should I be practicing more?

bellocan

Smash Rookie
What a coincidence! My friend also mains Lucario (and plays him quite well) and I can kind of help on the matchup. What I do is try to bait him out because he gets loads of mileage off the dash attack, so look out for that and punish accordingly, though you also need to find out what your opponent does aside from dash attack to "get in" because each player has their own style. Also, stay out of shield at lower %s because if he has a good reaction time, the side B can really mess you up because you don't get sent far enough.
An "advantage" I'd say is that Wolf has an insanely easy time comboing Lucario. In fact, at this point I believe that his weight is the perfect weight for the way I/other people play Wolf. Lucario isn't broken, but he might feel like it if your friend knows how to play him well and you don't know what to do.

Last edited:

Segarin

Smash Apprentice
What he mainly does to approach is his dair, I've tried countering it w/ my upsmash or up tilt, but that never works, dodging out of it never seems to work either because he's immediately able to follow up, I've also tried reading his movement when he jumps in w/ the dair and try to fair him out of it, but his fair always seems to have priority, once I hit him out I'm able to juggle him for a good 60-70% but then it goes back to square one and I essentially have to sit back and wait for him to make a really big mistake.

Top Bottom