• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wobbuffet---The Patient Pokemon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
We have the Blue Blur, and we’re getting the Blue Bomber. Why not complete the trifecta and add the Blue Blob?
WOBBUFFET!
Wobbuffet first appeared in Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Silver---esteemed entries that many consider the pinnacle of the series. Wobbuffet was easily the most memorable of the Pokemon the games introduced and went on to become an overnight sensation. He has appeared as a major NPC in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games and as both a platform and an item in the Super Smash Bros. series. Additionally, he’s one of the most famous running gags from the Pokemon anime, hamming screentime in hundreds of episodes. To put the icing on the cake, he has been one of competitive play’s finest Pokemon since his introduction. He was even the first non-legendary Pokemon ever to be banned by the competitive community at Smogon, the equivalent of our Boards for the Pokemon metagame.​
Of course, Wobbuffet’s importance certainly doesn’t hurt his chances, but what really sells him as a character is his insane amount of moveset potential. Wobbuffet is the Patient Pokemon---instead of attacking directly, he enjoys turning the opponent’s moves back upon them. He's not known for his attack power, but rather his insane amount of health and endurance. Wobbuffet’s signature move, Counter, reflects double damage back on the attacker; it is not hard to see this being incorporated as one of his specials. Wobbuffet’s other defensive moves include Mirror Coat (reflects Projectiles) and Encore (forces the opponent to use the same move again). Additionally, Wobbuffet is known for his signature ability, Shadow Tag, which prevents opponents from switching Pokemon---such could prevent the opponent from transforming in Smash. Clearly, there is definitely potential for Wobbuffet to become an ultra-defensive, mindgames oriented character. If you don’t believe me, I’ve made a moveset for you all to understand the true glory of the blob:​
[collapse=Specials]B- Counter. Wobbuffet instantly turns red and deals double damage back to anyone who physically damages him. Counter only lasts for a brief second and has limited knockback, but is great for punishing high-power attacks and racking up damage.

Side B- Mirror Coat. After a brief pause, Wobbuffet turns purple and deflects any projectiles back the way they came at double speed, doing double damage if contact is made. The move lasts about as long as Counter, but the brief pause requires a different timing.

Up B- Destiny Bond. Wobbuffet lacks a traditional recovery move, instead possessing a true killer move. After a moderately lengthy pause, Wobbuffet glows black and remains this way very briefly; anyone who hits him during this time is dealt the same knockback they give Wobbuffet. This works regardless of current damage, and makes it very difficult to revenge-kill Wobbuffet.

Down B- Encore. This is Wobbuffet’s best, most unique move. After a fairly lengthy pause, Wobbuffet turns white and remains this way for a short while. Anyone who attacks him during this time is locked into whatever move they used to attack him for the next ~5 seconds---any attempt to use any other move still launches the move that they are locked into. This time allows Wobbuffet to go to town, but it requires someone of a great skill level to use.

Final Smash- Call for Family (TCG): Why? Wynaut! Wobbuffet’s pre-evolution swarms the stage in surprising numbers and run around the field causing havoc. They are moderately damaging on their own, and inflict major damage when attacked. This makes opponents seize attacking in fear of harming themselves, giving Wobbuffet considerable time to repair and regroup.

In addition to the aforementioned specials, Wobbuffet would play more like a normal Smasher. He is roughly as heavy as Snake, about as fast as Ganondorf, and has good, but not great, jumping. His lack of recovery would be a problem, but his shielding would not be; he would possess the best shield in the game, which corresponds to his powerful endurance in his series. Unfortunately, his specials and his shield both would both be helpless against opponent’s throws, which would be far and away the best way to defeat an enemy Wobbuffet. Wobbuffet’s standard attacks, aerials, and Smash attacks all consist of throwing his blobby body around; they would be fairly powerful, but also fairly laggy, which encourages the use of his specials. All in all, Wobbuffet is the expert player’s choice of character for Smash.[/collapse]
What does stand in Wobbuffet’s way of becoming the next Smash character? The most glaring counterpoint to Wobbuffet is his rapidly decreasing relevance. In Black and White, Wobbuffet lost a great deal of his importance: he lost his running gag on the anime, he lost his role in the Mystery Dungeon installments, he lost his pseudo-banned status in competitive play. Additionally, there is no indicator that he will receive any buffs in X and Y, unlike fellow Pokemon Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. Finally, Wobbuffet would probably be hard to create for Smash because of the very thing that would make him an amazing addition: his ultra defensive moveset.​
Even so, there is still hope. Wobbuffet is no stranger to the Smash arena---he’s been here since Melee, albeit in unplayable form. Sakurai clearly sees him as an important Pokemon character. Additionally, he spent a solid decade as one of the most important Pokemon in existence---surely that can’t hurt his chances?​

Signature Icon: Currently, none. Please donate!

Supporters List: GROOSE, FalKoopa, ThatWasPeachy, Dark Phazon, Opossum, Tepig2000, Swampasaur

Reznor

work in progress
give him his Shadow Tag ability
in game no one can run away from Wobbuffet

Groose

Smash Champion
He's a pokéball character fo sho
Sakurai has used highly unexpected Johto-region Pokemon before. Who's not to say he will do it again?

I honestly consider Wobbuffet nigh on impossible, but it would certainly be epic. I was shocked when I saw there wasn't already a support thread. I mean, DUNSPARCE has a support thread!

give him his Shadow Tag ability
in game no one can run away from Wobbuffet

I was thinking about this. The best way I could think to apply it is stopping transitions---aka, Zelda is unable to transform, Samus cannot become Zamus, etc. Only problem is it would only work with a small number of opponents.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Interesting character, and I'm fond of Jesse's Wobbuffet. :laugh:

I support him.

Groose

Smash Champion
If anybody can help, I'm struggling to put the moveset in a spoiler tag. Could someone point me in the right direction?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If anybody can help, I'm struggling to put the moveset in a spoiler tag. Could someone point me in the right direction?
The syntax is:

[collapse=Title]<stuff>[/collapse]

The result is this:

Groose

Smash Champion
The syntax is:

The result is this:

Thanks for the assistance. I must be doing something wrong, because I keep making it into three spoiler tags instead. I think I can fix it by just fiddling around with it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Thanks for the assistance. I must be doing something wrong, because I keep making it into three spoiler tags instead. I think I can fix it by just fiddling around with it.
Highlight the collapse tags and remove any formatting from them. Press the rubber icon on the top left.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wobbuffet is a very awkward input, as all it can do is use Counter or Mirror Coat to retaliate against attacks.

Groose

Smash Champion
Wobbuffet is a very awkward input, as all it can do is use Counter or Mirror Coat to retaliate against attacks.

For the most part, that's true. But he also has a handful of other neat tricks--- Encore could mess with the opponent's choice of move and Shadow Tag could prevent the opponent from transforming or maybe even running away.

I'd imagine they'd have to give Wobbuffet regular attacks, but they would be weak in order to make the user use Wobbuffet's heavily defensive specials.

And who wouldn't want to see someone's face after they lost to a WOBBUFFET?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
But still, in a battle between two Wobbuffets, neither of them can hurt each other until one ends up using Struggle.

Groose

Smash Champion
But still, in a battle between two Wobbuffets, neither of them can hurt each other until one ends up using Struggle.

As I said, if he were incorporated into Smash, they'd have to give him standard, weak attacks to fill his aerials, tilts, and smashes: attacks like Flail, Tackle, etc. Even so, the focus would be on his extremely powerful, defensive specials: Counter, Mirror Coat, Encore, Destiny Bond, etc. In essence, he'd be that one guy you don't want to go near and have to fake out to defeat.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just as a personal suggestion, may I suggest changing the name of the Final Smash to "Call for Family"? I remember that being a pretty common move to certain Pokemon in the Pokemon TCG, so it would be a clever little reference to it. :laugh:

Groose

Smash Champion
Just as a personal suggestion, may I suggest changing the name of the Final Smash to "Call for Family"? I remember that being a pretty common move to certain Pokemon in the Pokemon TCG, so it would be a clever little reference to it. :laugh:

Nice suggestion, it has been added. Would you also like to declare support for the blob?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nice suggestion, it has been added. Would you also like to declare support for the blob?
Sure, Wynaut? :awesome:

Wobbuffet's pretty cool, anyway.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Now this is a random pokemon I can get behind. Mainly because it's actually important! Sign me up! He'd be hillarious!

I hate how they got rid of Wobbuffet in the anime. They got rid of Team Rocket's fourth member...

Groose

Smash Champion
Now this is a random pokemon I can get behind. Mainly because it's actually important! Sign me up! He'd be hillarious!

I hate how they got rid of Wobbuffet in the anime. They got rid of Team Rocket's fourth member...

Yeah... I kinda quit watching when they did that.

Groose

Smash Champion
Though it's a bit late that would most certainly be the worst kind of battle.

Game Freak isn't that stupid :p. There's a built in safeguard that causes Destiny Bonds to cancel out if both Pokemon have them. In other words, both are free to switch.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Personally, I love this idea. Your moveset seems pretty good, but a little OP. (I mean a 5 second trap for his Down Special? It should work more like Sing and effect you more with damage). Regardless, your moveset is fantastic. It really seems to catch the essence of Wobbuffet. I feel like Sakurai would heavily consider making Wobuffet playable after seeing this unique moveset/playstle y'all have for him. The main issue is that the Pokemon company suggests Pokemon for him to make playable. Though, I suppose he has some say in it.

Also,

...They did that? That's terrible.

I was shocked when I saw there wasn't already a support thread. I mean, DUNSPARCE has a support thread!
>>>Implying Dunsparce isn't the best Pokemon.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'd like a Meowth/Wobbuffet tag team... Nah, I'd prefer them separate. But still, Team Rocket's cool. Add me to the support list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom