• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wobbles' Ice Climbers are Art

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Art is a very subjective word, as its meaning differs from person to person. To me, art is something that can be watched, read, looked at, and many aspects of any fine piece of art will be interpreted on a different deeper level, both mentally and emotionally. It also has to be visually appealing.

Wobbles' Ice Climbers are among only a few other players' characters that I consider art, in Melee form. They are simply beautiful, not just visually, or movement wise either. I mean, he definitely easily has the smoothest, most precise, and quickest movement out of any IC's player ever. That's for sure. What I mean is a combination of intelligence, accuracy, a deadly mindset, and perhaps most importantly, creativity. And of course, all the sexy and smooth movements you'd expect from most top players.

Wobbles knows everything that can happen in the game. He knows every option his opponent has. He also knows every option his character has to combat his opponents options. That's high level knowledge of course, but Wobbles takes it further. He narrows down the options he uses based on the knowledge he has gathered from his opponent, and chooses the right one. He sometimes chooses unusual moves to hit his opponent with, but from what I've gathered, it's because he knows the exact hitboxes and priority of every move, both his character and his opponent's, and he knows what will trade and what will give him a clean hit...Or, if he trades, he understands the risk and is prepared for it.

What's even scarier about Wobbles is that, like any high level player he knows how to combo every one of his moves at every percent, the only difference is he has learned how to combo everything into...That's right, a grab, which is why anyone who complains about how Wobbles doesn't deserve to win is ********, after all the studying and practice he's done to learn how to even get his grabs off.

Next, Wobbles is so good at his grab combos, it's really impressive. What's even more impressive though is his ability to play without them. Most people have the mindset, "Ice Climbers just need one grab to win, it's so cheap." It's not even like that with Wobbles. His infinite is just an added bonus to his refined gameplay. You will already have an incredibly difficult time beating him when he doesn't use his infinite. When he does, it's just to ensure victory.

Wobbles is also ready for every situation. Whether he has two Climbers or one...Whether he's on Final Destination or Brinstar, he knows what to do. He knows how the stages work, he knows what his characters can and can't do in nearly every situation and he plays around it, making it very difficult to beat him and also extremely difficult to prey on his characters' weaknesses. There's no gimmicking wobbles. You can't beat him by picking Peach, CP'ing Fountain of Dreams and Dsmashing. In fact, that will get you grabbed and infinited. If you laser him with Falco he'll take the hit with Popo and Fsmash you with Nana. Silly, and people will complain, but that just helps his chances of winning.

Wobbles is also a very strong mental player, and when I say mental I don't just mean tactical. He is tactical though. He knows when to push his advantage and when to stay back. However, he also knows what you're feeling when you're playing against him. He knows that you're terrified to get grabbed, and he knows when the emotional effects in general that his actions have on his opponent. He uses them to his advantage. It's scary.

I guess I don't want to sit here and type more because I've typed a lot, but in short, Wobbles is the evil genius of Melee. He doesn't care about what's "Cheap" and what's "skilled," he just uses what he's developed in order to win. He admits himself he has no talent, like most superheroes have. (See Mang0/Mr. Incredible) but he makes up for it with an insane amount of work and dedication to his characters and this game. Anyone that wants to beat him will have to go through hell to get through everything he's prepared. But, it's super inspirational to watch and motivates me to take my character to that level as well.

D

Deleted member

if you meat ride any harder you'll get flies around your ***.

cjugs

Smash Ace
one mans trash..... Wobbles IC's are not art and i am prepared to say this semi annually until someone cries from watching him play AND they can't cry because they are being wobbled or chaingrabbed it has to be because of the beauty of the ice climbers. Yeah when i am being wobbled i am sitting there thinking "dear god it's beautiful"...... I'm not trying to be a jerk i'm just a smart alec, and i didn't read the whole thread because it was long :( i felt like if i read it i was going to have to answer questions after it and i'm on summer break so i'm not doing any unnecessary calorie burning or learning anything new. I am however trying to maintain maximum lazyness so was this thread important? if so someone wright me a summary.

Top Bottom