• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

With Captain Falcon being revealed so late...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Even Don Genie?
That'd be out of left field, but why not? It'd be a good challenge for the team to come up with a moveset for.

I would like jody, she could be like a super strong female wrestler type, and more females yay!
Yeah, exactly. Could be another fast/strong combo like Falcon. Maybe with more of a focus on ground game since much of Falcon's is in the air.

It's also definitely a good move to include more female options. Sakurai and the team have actually been doing a pretty good job of that with Smash 4, especially considering he's included male and female alt costumes for any character that can be either in their original game. Plus, a lot of industry journalism is decrying the lack of female characters in gaming, so it's a good move for Nintendo PR wise. But aside from that, a lot of people tend to pick characters of their gender, so including substantial female options is probably a wise move for the diversity of the Smash community, which has an overwhelmingly male gender ratio.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Am I the only one that would like to see Pico playable? Pico was the character my brother always picked when we played F-Zero X........

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Even Don Genie?
Especially Don Genie, I don't like spoiling others plot twists including those who haven't watched F-Zero Falcon Densetsu aka GP Legend but become spoiled anyways:

Spoilers Don Genie IS DeathBorn AND Black Shadow. Black Shadow confirmed:troll:
That'd be out of left field, but why not? It'd be a good challenge for the team to come up with a moveset for.

Yeah, exactly. Could be another fast/strong combo like Falcon. Maybe with more of a focus on ground game since much of Falcon's is in the air.

It's also definitely a good move to include more female options. Sakurai and the team have actually been doing a pretty good job of that with Smash 4, especially considering he's included male and female alt costumes for any character that can be either in their original game. Plus, a lot of industry journalism is decrying the lack of female characters in gaming, so it's a good move for Nintendo PR wise. But aside from that, a lot of people tend to pick characters of their gender, so including substantial female options is probably a wise move for the diversity of the Smash community, which has an overwhelmingly male gender ratio.
I approve of both Don Genie & / or Jody Summers. I'd approve of any 2nd F-Zero rep right now!
Don Genie is a heavy-weight diamond / jewel armored business man, I'm down.
Jody Summers is a capable pilot who's apart of the Galactic Federation, part of her body is robotic, yes let's see it!
Also this source has an interesting trivial fact about Jody Summers:
http://fzero.wikia.com/wiki/Jody_Summer

Trivia
  • Jody Summer seems to resemble Samus Aran from the Metroid games.
Am I the only one that would like to see Pico playable? Pico was the character my brother always picked when we played F-Zero X........
I'm down for a high-class sniping hit-man to be playable too. He's got move-set potential. I approve!

Double Edit: Also Welcome to Smashboards to @ Derekburn Derekburn & @ CJ Falcon CJ Falcon !

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Especially Don Genie, I don't like spoiling others plot twists including those who haven't watched F-Zero Falcon Densetsu aka GP Legend but become spoiled anyways:
The anime and its related games (GP Legend and Climax) exist in a separate continuity from the rest of the series (F-Zero, X, GX, Maximum Velocity). IIRC, none of the Smash games ever make so much as a single reference to the anime or its tie-in games (no soundtrack references, no trophies, no references to the events of GP Legend in trophy descriptions, etc), so I think it's safe to say that they are considered spin-offs to proper F-Zero lore.

I mean, F-Zero lore is kind of a joke already with how heavily GX retcons X, but still. I don't think Nintendo puts much emphasis on the anime continuity in the grand scheme of things.

Then again, they don't put much emphasis on F-Zero in general in the grand scheme of things, so shrug.

Last edited:

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
I like to imagine Sakurai waited on Falcon's confirmation just to see how many people he could scare over time.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@Nixon_Corral Thanks for mentioning Pico in a post near the beginning of the first page! That post finally motivated me to research Pico. I knew I liked Pico's design since the first time I saw them, but, thanks to your post, I was motivated to learn more about Pico. I think I shall add Pico to my list of characters to create movesets for.
@ CJ Falcon CJ Falcon Not anymore! Pico must join SSB to quench their thirst!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The anime and its related games (GP Legend and Climax) exist in a separate continuity from the rest of the series (F-Zero, X, GX, Maximum Velocity). IIRC, none of the Smash games ever make so much as a single reference to the anime or its tie-in games (no soundtrack references, no trophies, no references to the events of GP Legend in trophy descriptions, etc), so I think it's safe to say that they are considered spin-offs to proper F-Zero lore.

I mean, F-Zero lore is kind of a joke already with how heavily GX retcons X, but still. I don't think Nintendo puts much emphasis on the anime continuity in the grand scheme of things.
Then again, they don't put much emphasis on F-Zero in general in the grand scheme of things, so shrug.
If what I bold & underlined in your quote means that I'm not supposed to comment about those points assuming you meant to tell me that I'm not supposed to use them, then I've got no cards in my hand to deal ya my friend. However if you meant it only as a statement & that they don't tie in those references at all you're mistaken:

F-Zero as a whole franchise universe does have references in every Super Smash Bros. game besides SSB4 because too early. References about his games & in the anime do come to light but they're merely trivial facts & the sourcing but it's there.
:falcon64: in Super Smash Bros 64 resembles his incarnation off of F-Zero X, also referencing the works a.k.a. the games he's debut'd in being F-Zero from SNES & F-ZeroX from N64. His Ending "Congratulations!" screen after unlocking him was the only screen used in SSB to have a already existing image being the first unlock-able title screen from the original F-Zero X game. One last point to make is Captain Falcon has never been heard of being able to use FALCON PUNCH! ever in any game or anime or even comic reference, that was completely new & fresh, go you Sakurai.
:falconmelee: don't got much referencing or maybe it does I'm just not looking for it at all really.
:falcon: in Super Smash Bros. Brawl however has an anime reference pertaining to Falcon. Back in the SubSpace Emissary, Falcon is in a cut-scene where Olimar is struggling to take down an enemy R.O.B. & Falcon flys at high speeds in his Blue Falcon, raising his cockpit leaping out & Falcon Punching the R.O.B. directly. Very very very familiar & similar to the exact scene everyone knows when Captain Falcon Falcon Punched Black Shadow. That is anime referencing to the max.;) To add onto this, F-Zero GP Legend a.k.a. F-Zero Falcon Densetsu uses the Falcon Punch Idea from the Super Smash Bros. games as inspiration from fan-base & made a scene out of it. Watch both videos & see the similarities:

This is his Music Soundtrack references: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Victory_theme#F-Zero_Victory_Theme

Edit: Falcon Densetsu finished all 51 episodes in Japan in late 2004, plenty of time before SSBBrawl's 2008 release.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
F-Zero as a whole franchise universe does have references in every Super Smash Bros. game besides SSB4 because too early.
I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying there are no references to GP Legend (the anime or the game) or Climax.

I know F-Zero, F-Zero X, and F-Zero GX are heavily referenced in Smash. Of course they are. I was saying that GP Legend and Climax aren't because they aren't in the main series canon. There's no Rick Wheeler trophy, there are no tracks in the Smash soundtrack that are from GP Legend or Climax, nothing. Nothing from Falcon's trophy references the events of GP Legend or Climax.

The Falcon Punch on ROB is at best a nod to the scene, and could even possibly be a coincidence. In no way does the series ever make any indication that the anime or its events are canon to the remainder of F-Zero, and the Captain Falcon in Smash is very clearly the one from the SNES original, X, and GX. What that means is that it's highly unlikely that Nintendo would take events from the anime and apply them to a newcomer for Smash, including the spoiler you had in your post before.

Overall it seems clear that the console F-Zero games and Maximum Velocity are main series canon, and the anime tie-ins are a spin-off.

Edit: Also, what I meant by "they don't put much emphasis on F-Zero in general" was that Nintendo doesn't make many F-Zero games, and they don't market them very heavily either. It's not a franchise they spend a lot of time on. Smash has plenty of F-Zero references, Nintendo marketing does not.

Edit 2: I think I sounded a little angrier than I meant to. FWIW, I think the anime and its games are good, they're just a separate continuity from the rest of the series, and because the anime is over, I don't think we'll be seeing the lore of the anime continue. It will probably be the F-Zero->X->MV->GX continuity from now on.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'm not sure what you're trying to say in any of your post.
I was saying that GP Legend and Climax aren't because they aren't in the main series canon. There's no Rick Wheeler trophy, there are no tracks in the Smash soundtrack that are from GP Legend or Climax, nothing. Nothing from Falcon's trophy references the events of GP Legend or Climax.

The Falcon Punch on ROB is at best a nod to the scene, and could even possibly be a coincidence. In no way does the series ever make any indication that the anime or its events are canon to the remainder of F-Zero, and the Captain Falcon in Smash is very clearly the one from the SNES original, X, and GX. What that means is that it's highly unlikely that Nintendo would take events from the anime and apply them to a newcomer for Smash, including the spoiler you had in your post before.
I knew I'd feel bummed out for posting that much. I was mainly saying that F-Zero's anime canon had involved the scene with Smash somehow, when you said it didn't reference a single thing. Minuscule as the Subspace scene point was, there's nothing else that ties in with the F-Zero anime with its lore of games into Smash at all, as you've said. After reading that one line in your post I got blind & didn't read through your post fully through, something a true falcon wouldn't do. This is my mistake to the max.

FALCON SHAME!

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I knew I'd feel bummed out for posting that much. I was mainly saying that F-Zero's anime canon had involved the scene with Smash somehow, when you said it didn't reference a single thing. Minuscule as the Subspace scene point was, there's nothing else that ties in with the F-Zero anime with its lore of games into Smash at all, as you've said. After reading that one line in your post I got blind & didn't read through your post fully through like a true falcon. This is my mistake to the max.

FALCON SHAME!

Haha, it's all good! You definitely know your stuff. I'm just glad there are other folks out there that are huge F-Zero fans. There are so few of us, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Haha, it's all good! You definitely know your stuff. I'm just glad there are other folks out there that are huge F-Zero fans. There are so few of us, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one!
. . .
"Nixon_Corral used Falcon Forgiveness!"

I still wish F-Zero gets a 2nd rep at least. I'm not a big fan let alone a fan of Earthbound / Mother at all & I'm baffled why a series that's practically in the same boat still has 2 representatives & Falcon stands alone, despite him being just fine by himself. We need a villain / pure antagonist:

Pico
Blood Falcon - clone but still
Black Shadow
DeathBorn
Don Genie
Zoda

Edit: Bio-Rex or Michael Chain maybe? Then again they barely have much to do with the story / games compared to Pico / Blood Falcon / Black Shadow / Deathborn.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I still wish F-Zero gets a 2nd rep at least. I'm not a big fan let alone a fan of Earthbound / Mother at all & I'm baffled why a series that's practically in the same boat still has 2 representatives & Falcon stands alone, despite him being just fine by himself. We need a villain / pure antagonist:

Pico
Blood Falcon - clone but still
Black Shadow
DeathBorn
Don Genie
Zoda

Edit: Bio-Rex or Michael Chain maybe? Then again they barely have much to do with the story / games compared to Pico / Blood Falcon / Black Shadow / Deathborn.
I agree. I actually did enjoy EarthBound, and I'm sure Mother 3 was good, but yeah, it does seem like F-Zero and Mother are pretty much equally relevant at this point (that is, sadly, not very). Perhaps less since Itoi actually confirmed that the Mother series is over. Again, I'm still fine with Ness and Lucas being in the game, and I like them, but it seems like F-Zero's overdue for another rep. It's the only series to have been represented in 64 that hasn't gotten another rep. I mean, technically Metroid has only gotten ZSS, and the Yoshi series hasn't seen another rep, but he's originally a Mario character anyway, so that doesn't really count.

I'd be fine with any of the people you mentioned. I think it's fine keeping Blood Falcon just as an alt costume, but Pico, Black Shadow, Zoda, etc. would all be good. Pico immediately seems like he'd have good moveset options, but I'm also intrigued by Zoda. He could be really interesting too.

Like the OP says, with this little time left until release, I'm doubtful, but we'll have to wait and see!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I agree. I actually did enjoy EarthBound, and I'm sure Mother 3 was good, but yeah, it does seem like F-Zero and Mother are pretty much equally relevant at this point (that is, sadly, not very). Perhaps less since Itoi actually confirmed that the Mother series is over. Again, I'm still fine with Ness and Lucas being in the game, and I like them, but it seems like F-Zero's overdue for another rep. It's the only series to have been represented in 64 that hasn't gotten another rep. I mean, technically Metroid has only gotten ZSS, and the Yoshi series hasn't seen another rep, but he's originally a Mario character anyway, so that doesn't really count.

I'd be fine with any of the people you mentioned. I think it's fine keeping Blood Falcon just as an alt costume, but Pico, Black Shadow, Zoda, etc. would all be good. Pico immediately seems like he'd have good moveset options, but I'm also intrigued by Zoda. He could be really interesting too.

Like the OP says, with this little time left until release, I'm doubtful, but we'll have to wait and see!
Apparently with some leaks I've taken notice to when mentioned from fellow supporter fans I'm in, I was told of this certain leak that has 16 newcomers & 2 secret characters. Right now there's 13 newcomers if you treat Lucina as one & all 3 of the Mii fighters, leaving 3 more newcomers to be revealed & still those 2 secrets, but all based off that leak. My guess is that there may be a secret fighter representing F-Zero. But hopes cannot be too high.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
They're overhauling Ganondorf and giving his old moveset to Black Shadow! That'd be absolutely perfect!

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I agree! :b: The more characters the better!
Inb4 the Lucina haters come saying 'OMG CLONES MY LIFE IS RUINED CLONES CLONES! MORE CLONES THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER, IT'S NOT LIKE THERE'S MORE CHARACTERS TO PLAY AS NOW!'

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Inb4 the Lucina haters come saying 'OMG CLONES MY LIFE IS RUINED CLONES CLONES! MORE CLONES THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER, IT'S NOT LIKE THERE'S MORE CHARACTERS TO PLAY AS NOW!'
I know right?! I'd rather have clones than no clones, because they take much less time to make, it's not like they still won't be able to work on other characters with different movesets if they sneak in some clones! I'm sure that Lucina took maybe 10% of the time that it takes to make a character with a new moveset. To sum it all up, Sakurai can put as many characters as he wants, there is no limit! Looks like this roster is NOT going to be slimmed down after all! :colorful: Excited!

jacobjeb

Smash Rookie
NNID
jacobjeb
I was thinking we might after Palutena and Lucina/Robin, but i think they wouldve announced an F-Zero character in the same trailer as Captain Falcon. If they were to do them in separate trailers then Falcon would've been announced way back. And now I realize it's just too late. Maybe F-Zero will get its chance another day...

darthnazgul

Smash Cadet
NNID
darthnzgul
Honestly, I'd say the most we'd get is an assist trophy. The lack of recent entries in the series has made me skeptical.

Speaking of which, Nintendo should really get on that. I need some F-Zero in my veins.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Honestly, I'd say the most we'd get is an assist trophy. The lack of recent entries in the series has made me skeptical.

Speaking of which, Nintendo should really get on that. I need some F-Zero in my veins.
There is already an F-Zero assist trophy.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Black Shadow is described on his wiki page as "the king of evil."

This made me have a startling revelation: The Ganondorf we've all seen in every game must actually have been Black Shadow! He duplicates Falcon's fighting style because of who he really is! And he hides out among Zelda characters while in disguise to catch Falcon off guard!

Thus, since Black Shadow has been in the game all along, he does not need to change or be added, and we should instead be vying for the inclusion of the REAL Ganondorf fighting as he ACTUALLY does.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
And Toon Link does not have plenty of differeneces, He is just lighter and has different taunts. Not to mention Green Mario was almost identical other than his Fireball had different physics.
Time to play... LIST. OF. DIFFERENCES!!

Toon Link's animations are all different, a few share similarities to Links but are not directly cloned.
Toon Link's up smash only hits once, Link's does the attack three times.
Toon Link's side smash does not have the wind effect.
Toon Link's nair is not a sex kick, his bair is not multiple kicks backward, his fair is slightly different but the visual difference is hard to tell.
Doesn't seem like just different taunts to me.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
DEATHBORN AS PLAYABLE CHAR WOULD BE A DREAM COME TRUE. Black shadow is nothing. Design is worse even.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
@ Sahfarry Sahfarry Do you have ideas for a Deathborn moveset?
B: Some sort of fireball. Moves very slowly and can be aimed down. When in the air, you can aim down to deal damage from above. On the ground, you can aim down for a rocket jump effect (his normal jump is low). Deals constant,but small damage like Ness' PK fire.
Side B: like Ganons side B, but instead he throws them downwards behind him. If he catches them in the air, opponemt will be tossed downward and it will stun them for a split second.
Up B: Portal teleport whdre DB freezes in the air and a controllable projectile is launched. Its range is shor. DB enters a portal where he stands and exits through a portal where the projectile stoped and expanded to a portal.
Down B: Falcom kick straight down. Short range. Multiple can be done in the air if you are high enough. On the ground, its like a weak falcom punch. Meteor smash?
Final Smash: Outer Limits. Like Marths with a shorter range. People hit by him are teleported to deathborn's hell.

I imagine him to be moderatly slow with a low jump. Pretty powerful specials and moderate normals. He should get the knee too.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Personally Deathborn is someone I'd like to see as an event in Smash Run. A small role but it would be something.

I don't think Falcon being revealed late means there won't be another F-Zero character. As people have stated, if Sakurai overhauls Ganondorf then Black Shadow would be an easy and fairly suitable character to take over his old play style. If that happens the move set should still be tweaked a bit to fit the character a little more, though.

But honestly I'd take any F-Zero character as long as F-Zero gets a second rep. They could pick someone at random like Kate or Jack Levin and I'd take it. I like every racer so I wouldn't be bummed out by whoever is picked. Just pick someone! Anyone!

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Apologies for quoting other user's posts a bit late but:
They're overhauling Ganondorf and giving his old moveset to Black Shadow! That'd be absolutely perfect!
O_O D-idara please, please. Your post sounds as if it's an exclamatory statement, you must consider my hype-worthy emotions & provide me a source with proof of this quickly!
I was adulting but that would be amazing as it's expected.

You have a wonderful avatar picture atm while posting this, I felt the need to quote you just for that, oh & Goroh is a confirmed AT, with the chance of another F-Zero character being an AT.

This made me have a startling revelation: The Ganondorf we've all seen in every game must actually have been Black Shadow! He duplicates Falcon's fighting style because of who he really is! And he hides out among Zelda characters while in disguise to catch Falcon off guard!

Thus, since Black Shadow has been in the game all along, he does not need to change or be added, and we should instead be vying for the inclusion of the REAL Ganondorf fighting as he ACTUALLY does.
Brilliant, simply brilliant. Black Shadow has that ability. We've been had.
DEATHBORN AS PLAYABLE CHAR WOULD BE A DREAM COME TRUE. Black shadow is nothing. Design is worse even.
He would be, but he wouldn't have any ordinary Animal-inspired punch like Captain Falcon's Punch & Black Shadow's Bull Punch. . .BUT A DRAGON PUNCH! Deathborn himself being a playable character would go beyond 90% of everyone's expectations being low enough of Sakurai adding in Black Shadow.
@ Wyoming Wyoming 's post is pretty much shared & hopes alike. I want any F-Zero pilot to be a 2nd roster slot for F-Zero's Universe to show for, & as for Deathborn it'd be great for him to be a playable fighter, but I see him more of AT status for the moment, well in SSB4 anyways. Black Shadow is more demanded for the semi-clone transfer allowing Ganon to take upon his own true move-set. I wanna see Phoenix fight with an inspired Falcon move-set but better. Phoenix Fist anyone?

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Apologies for quoting other user's posts a bit late but:

O_O D-idara please, please. Your post sounds as if it's an exclamatory statement, you must consider my hype-worthy emotions & provide me a source with proof of this quickly!
I was adulting but that would be amazing as it's expected.

You have a wonderful avatar picture atm while posting this, I felt the need to quote you just for that, oh & Goroh is a confirmed AT, with the chance of another F-Zero character being an AT.

Brilliant, simply brilliant. Black Shadow has that ability. We've been had.

He would be, but he wouldn't have any ordinary Animal-inspired punch like Captain Falcon's Punch & Black Shadow's Bull Punch. . .BUT A DRAGON PUNCH! Deathborn himself being a playable character would go beyond 90% of everyone's expectations being low enough of Sakurai adding in Black Shadow.
@ Wyoming Wyoming 's post is pretty much shared & hopes alike. I want any F-Zero pilot to be a 2nd roster slot for F-Zero's Universe to show for, & as for Deathborn it'd be great for him to be a playable fighter, but I see him more of AT status for the moment, well in SSB4 anyways. Black Shadow is more demanded for the semi-clone transfer allowing Ganon to take upon his own true move-set. I wanna see Phoenix fight with an inspired Falcon move-set but better. Phoenix Fist anyone?
It was just me being hopeful...there's no proof :(

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice

How good would that be for a Black Shadow/Ganondorf trailer? Captain Falcon is on the brink of defeat against Falcondorf when Falcondorf changes shape and becomes Black Shadow. Then just as Black Shadow moves in to finish off Falcon, the real Ganondorf turns up, pissed off that someone has been masquerading as him, and starts kicking ass all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom