• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wireless multiplayer lag?

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
I just though of something. Since every player in multiplayer will have his own system, that means even local multiplayer will be dependent on wireless signals in the 3DS version. What about lag?

In games like Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter 3 U, there's always a bit of lag, even if you play local wireless. Anyone here technical enough to be able to look into this matter a bit more?

Kerreb17

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0619-4010-5392
I'm pretty sure it depends on what sort of netcode they decide to use, even if it is for local wireless. As long as they have a rollback netcode, local wireless shouldn't be a problem. Online shouldn't be a problem either, hopefully.

R0Y

Smash Master
Yeah it'll be bad, especially with portables, especially with a lot of people in their bedrooms.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there will be lag imo. I'm pretty sure this would be looked over and improved before the release. I may be wrong, though.

Stueyman2099

Smash Cadet
I don't think there will be lag imo. I'm pretty sure this would be looked over and improved before the release. I may be wrong, though.
This would be the ideal case. Then I remember trying to play brawl online when it first came out and it was awful. Felt like I had more than 500ms of latency, and I never played it again after that.

So, I'm optimistic, but skeptical.

pickle962

Smash Lord
I don't think either version of smash 4 will be a lagfest like brawl was. (For starters, brawl already had tons of crap on its disk and Nintendo wasn't as experienced with online as they are now). Sure there will be lag here and there, but in my experiences with Mario kart 7, I rarely if ever had a noticeable amount of lag, i.e it took FOREVER for frames to move or button inputs to be read

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I don't think either version of smash 4 will be a lagfest like brawl was. (For starters, brawl already had tons of crap on its disk and Nintendo wasn't as experienced with online as they are now). Sure there will be lag here and there, but in my experiences with Mario kart 7, I rarely if ever had a noticeable amount of lag, i.e it took FOREVER for frames to move or button inputs to be read
Usually mario kart is fine but I've had a couple cases of throwing a red shell and it somehow HITTING ME by freezing in front of me after a throw.
Yeah, I have no idea.

pickle962

Smash Lord
Usually mario kart is fine but I've had a couple cases of throwing a red shell and it somehow HITTING ME by freezing in front of me after a throw.
Yeah, I have no idea.
O_O he he that reminds me it wont be long once the 3ds version of smash 4 comes out before people start reporting bugs or uploading tricks and otherwise bizarre stuff on youtube!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think there will be some lag, but only because not everyone online will have an ideal internet connection.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
This is a fair concern to have, and one that I share with you.

Mario Kart 7 has noticeable visual lag at times, so I really hope this isn't the case for Smash 4. As we saw in the Tokyo vs. Kyoto matches in the Direct, it seemed like it was perfectly fine. However, that was for the Wii U version.

Did anyone else notice how they didn't show any online (not local) matches for the 3DS version? It gets me worried.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
As we saw in the Tokyo vs. Kyoto matches in the Direct, it seemed like it was perfectly fine. However, that was for the Wii U version.

Did anyone else notice how they didn't show any online (not local) matches for the 3DS version? It gets me worried.
Didn't they show it once whenever they announced the online multiplayer for the 3DS?

I figure it is one that doesn't lag and stuff like that.
Was looking for something more specific but okay. My internet kind of sucks though, but I've never experienced lag in Mario Kart Wii/7.

R0Y

Smash Master
I seriously doubt most people are going to play anywhere near their routers, especially with randoms and in "For Fun" mode.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Local? I assume there won't be noticeable lag. That would be pretty bad. I've never noticed lag in a LOCAL 3DS multiplayer game.

Online? Sure. Lag. It's coming no matter what. Every online game has lag. Some games will be great. Others terrible. The battle is making the terrible ones are few as possible. Brawl did bad at that.

R0Y

Smash Master
If it's as good as Mario Kart 7, then it won't be a problem
You're not as reliant on not desyncing in that game. If you're far from a router, often you'll think you're in a higher spot until the accurate synced times are shown. Smash you need every move, every jump, every dodge.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart 7 had some pretty huge problems. How many times did I come in first with it saying 1st then suddenly being 3rd after the race ended? I'd say to many times. :p

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Kid Icarus' online mode was great, and that was made by Sakurai. Honesty, I have no worries about the online mode for Smash Bros.

R0Y

Smash Master
Kid Icarus' online mode was great, and that was made by Sakurai. Honesty, I have no worries about the online mode for Smash Bros.
Completely different software development team.

R0Y

Smash Master
No you weren't. I was replying to:

"Kid Icarus' online mode was great, and that was made by Sakurai. Honesty, I have no worries about the online mode for Smash Bros."

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
No you weren't. I was replying to:

"Kid Icarus' online mode was great, and that was made by Sakurai. Honesty, I have no worries about the online mode for Smash Bros."
I also have a post about SSF4. I'm comparing Kid Icarus' online to Smash Bros..

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Yeah, I don't know what OP is talking about. Online lag is something that practically always happens (at least occasionally) but since when is there local lag on the 3DS?

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Yeah, I don't know what OP is talking about. Online lag is something that practically always happens (at least occasionally) but since when is there local lag on the 3DS?
Yeah, I've never had local play lag, even on DS games. And while online play for 3DS always has the possibility of lag, for I've never experienced it to the point where a game was unplayable.

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin
I play Street Fighter 4 on 3DS and I never deal with lag in that game.
Exactly. As much as I hate Capcom for giving nothing to Megaman, their netcode is great. Even when I'm playing with an opponent from another country in UMVC3 Portable, I don't get any noticable lag. Namco also has good netcode so I'm somewhat optimistic regarding netplay on both platforms.

R0Y

Smash Master
You'll have local play lag if you're towards the end of the 3DS' wireless range or through multiple walls.

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
I've never really had what I'd call lag on MK7, very rarely my position seems to be reset ever so slightly, or someone elses, sometimes resulting in me seeing people fall off cliffs then clip back. I can't even imagine such lag being a big issue, or the difference between winning and losing a match.

Last edited:
Top Bottom