• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wired Connection Issues

Rev15

Smash Rookie
Hey guys.
Been wanting more practice and in an attempt to reduce the crazy amount of lag I was experiencing running a wireless connection, I picked up the USB ethernet adapter.
I went in to the Wii options to set it up and the connection tested properly, but when I go in to brawl (I connect to the Wii network no problem) I sit in the practice stage forever. I sat there for 10 minutes without being paired with anyone. So I switched my connection back to wireless and was matched with 4 people in a couple seconds, but the lag was still unplayable.
I'm running my connection from my modem, through a router, and finally through a switch.
Any ideas?

Edit: I also make sure none of my computers at home are downloading things; BIttorrent, frostwire ect...

FIREL

Smash Ace
The messed-upness of the wi-fi makes it imposible to accurately explain why theres lag or why you never find anyone in 5 hours...

I never used the usb method... (had to go before i can finish my answer =/)

Rev15

Smash Rookie
Perhaps I should be more clear...
I want to use a wired connection through my USB-ethrnet adapter but I'm never paired with anyone while I do so. I do NOT want to use wireless because as I understand it, it causes more lag.

:downs:

Smash Apprentice
Strange. I use wireless, and I can get totally lagless matches. I can sit there for literal hours and not find anyone, maybe you're just having bad luck? Did you only try once?

Rev15

Smash Rookie
I've tried a couple times switching back and forth between wired and wireless and get the same results each time.

Edit:
Played a game with a fellow member through friend code and the wire seemed to work fine. Was still pretty laggy though. How often should I expect lag-free games? (ie. similar to playing against computers??)

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
It's the Wifi, if your trying to play BB or TB you'll have moments where the game's server won't connect you to either mode for a long time. When that happens you have to switch to the other mode to quickly connect to players. For that it is best to wait it out then try again.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
So its like a double negative? Ethernet adapter, ya can't find players, wireless, ya find players but with lag issues? Do you have a phone connection? Or maybe no one was free to brawl? Maybe its the area?

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
It's their server being stupid. Even now I'm trying to connect and it's taking way too long in BB. Plus I get constant disconnects that force me back to the main menu. Wireless is worst...

FIREL

Smash Ace
What i usually do when the wi-fi doesn't connect is that i will reset my internet modem... works most of the time, but not all the time. Thats what i do if i get constant error 86420 or when i can't find anyone.

Rev15

Smash Rookie
Do you guys ever play a game with minimal lag? IE. Like playing against a computer without being connected to the Wii network??

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
For me, I always lag. As a result, my MK game is so horrible. One time, I went to glide underneath Battlefield, but when I wanted to glide up, the input lag didn't respond in time, and I SD'd at the bottom Blast Line. There have been reare exceptions where I've experienced very minimal lag, and those were against Bynine and Vermanubis... probably because they live fairly close to where I am.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I got a friend that lives in Austin(me in San Antonio) and we can have some lagless matches but it can still become laggy either way.

FIREL

Smash Ace
I'm starting to notice an increase in the amount of disconnecting while I'm on the result screen. Though, I have several ideas why it's disconnecting.

So what do you guys think it could be?

Top Bottom