• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wingdashing doesn't suck at Brawl, people suck at Brawl.

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
It's really starting to piss me off, all this debate about wingdashing. The main argument that it sucks is that "it's just going to get you punished", or "there's always a better option. The fact is if you are saying this, you suck at smash. Lets take this amazing AT for instance, it's called dashing. So lets say that you suck at Brawl and you learn "dashing" and decide to try it out. You dash toward your opponent and try to do a f-smash. Nothing happens, you get punished and conclude that dashing sucks.

Wingdashing provides Pit with a unique form of movement that can not be immitated by anything else. Therefore it is no diff from dashing, or walking, or jumping. You have to know when and how to use it. Of course spamming wingdashes is bad! What good is it going to do you if it has no purpose? I laugh when ppl say they have "mastered" wingdashing and then say it sucks. Thats like saying walking sucks.

I will not endeavor to try and illustrate all the uses of wingdashing - there are many- but I will note one that I have not seen anyone use and is IMO its best use. I'm sure you all know that you can dash forward, wingdash back, and dash forward out of the wingdash. SO WHY IS NOBODY DOING THIS?!! I works basicaly like melee dashdancing as far as mindgames are concerned but it is much better because you can do it out of a long dash, and it can counter projectiles. Infact, it is fast enough to draw out a d-smash from MK and punish it with a instant dash attack.

So please stop trying to tell Pits that there ATs are useless. You're just going to eat your words. If you are a Pit though, for heavens sake learn the basics first!!! ATs are for giving you that extra edge against someone who has mastered the basics.

arm

Smash Apprentice
I thought they were considered gimmicky... Which Im not entirely sure what that means. However, nonetheless, Ive heard no one say Pits ATs suck.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, I myself use it for mindgames, to trick my opponent into doing things I probably want them to do.

However, there are those that will think it has no use, or cant use it efficiently. It's like ppl saying Arrow Rain is useless, when I found use for it.
They have their style of play, and we have ours. Let everyone have their opinion before we have yet another Flame War.
However, I will say that some things that others say about things... They say it the wrong way, which does cause some arguments.

Well, I myself use it for mindgames, to trick my opponent into doing things I probably want them to do.

However, there are those that will think it has no use, or cant use it efficiently. It's like ppl saying Arrow Rain is useless, when I found use for it.
They have their style of play, and we have ours. Let everyone have their opinion before we have yet another Flame War.
However, I will say that some things that others say about things... They say it the wrong way, which does cause some arguments.
Mindgames aren't tailored to a specific definition. Not simply just tricking people.

Mindgames is also about reacting to a situation. For example:

If you are Marth and you F-throw your opponent, the opponent techs towards you. It's obvious that he would tech towards you since you the opponent is at the edge, so you grab him again. This time, the opponent decides to tech still, which gets you right in range for a tipper F-smash or a D-tilt.

A smart opponent would simply just shoot projectiles at an opponent who Wingdashes. And sadly enough it spaces the opponent when done close enough, which means that you can't do anything but retreat and get punished. Just because you say something is useful doesn't mean that it's practical. No matter how much of that fancy crap you do, you'll get no where without playing intelligently and having experience.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Omg Eternal give it a rest esp since it seems you dont read. You missed the part where he said to "learn the basics first" which includes playing intelligently and exp.

Shooting the person who is wingdashing....what? So you actually think I am going to spam the Wingdash from across the stage to allow you to see an opening to use a projectile on me? I guess you didnt read the "spamming is bad" part of his statement either.

And why are you assuming we dont know how to use it? Why are you using examples of situations that only noobs will get themselves into? Noobs will NEVER beat the pros with or without wingdashing period. Stop being so stubborn.

I agree 100% with the OP.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
i personally am not a big user of wingdashing, mostly cause i have not perfected it, and with school back in session i dont have the time to perfect it, but the TC does make perfect sense and people really should start to realize wingdashings potential

basically, wingdashing is not neccesary to be a good pit, but it will help you every now and then depending on the situation

and why does it seem like marths have been spamming nonsense in the pit boards recently

oh and EPF your example was pretty close to saying well if i use Fair on a person waiting for it and he PS and shield grabs me i get screwed, therefore Fair is a bad move and should never be used, which is of course nonsense

something people really need to start realizing is that everything in brawl is situational

Top Bottom