• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wine, Project 64k? Also Linux on Apple?

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Two questions in one post...

Question 1: I read up on a program for linux called wine, is it like a windows translator? Is it only compatible with some windows programs or all of them. The reason why I am curious is because one of the reasons I was annoyed with vista is because of how absurdly laggy online play via Project 64 was, I looked up wine and I wish to know if I can play Project 64k online with wine. Also I would like to know how lag/lagless it is.

Question 2: I am not an apple user but I have a friend who is, could it be possible for me to install Linux on his computer or is the unique set up of mac going to stop an installation of Linux?

Thanks for any and all help in advance. Even if it is an answer to only one of these questions.

inferno

EnFuego
BRoomer
1. There might be some applications that Wine doesn't run correctly, but as far as I know it should run most things fine. I know some people that play a MMORPG with wine on mac, and linux. As far as lag goes, it might not be as good as playing it on your native OS, but it's probably pretty playable.

2. You can install Linux on Mac hardware. I'm sure you've heard of people installing Windows on Mac hardare, and Linux is closer "related" to Mac OS X. Is there a certain hoop you have to jump through to do it? I don't know, I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure you can.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Go to winehq.org to look up compatibility with various windows programs. It's not fair to say "most programs will work" because there are tons that do work and tons that don't. Each application should be researched specifically.

Macs can indeed run linux. I recommend Ubuntu in general, although some people might enjoy Linux Mint more as a first linux experience, since it's more Windows-Like, (not in a bad way) and will load mp3 and dvd codecs from installation a bit easier than other linux distros.

I've installed ubuntu as a first linux experience for about a dozen friends and family members and they've all picked it up fast.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Two questions in one post...

Question 1: I read up on a program for linux called wine, is it like a windows translator? Is it only compatible with some windows programs or all of them. The reason why I am curious is because one of the reasons I was annoyed with vista is because of how absurdly laggy online play via Project 64 was, I looked up wine and I wish to know if I can play Project 64k online with wine. Also I would like to know how lag/lagless it is.

Question 2: I am not an apple user but I have a friend who is, could it be possible for me to install Linux on his computer or is the unique set up of mac going to stop an installation of Linux?

Thanks for any and all help in advance. Even if it is an answer to only one of these questions.
How old is this Mac? If it runs an Intel processor, anything with the right drivers will run. If it's more than 4 years, the Mac might have a PowerPC processor, in which case you'll need a PPC-optimized version of Linux such as Yellow Dog.

Top Bottom