• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Windows Live Messenger Issues (Hackers?)

Sariku

Smash Master
Well, my friend gave me this one link over Windows Live Messenger. It was a site that, if you entered your email address, not password, it would tell you who has blocked and/or deleted you. Well I did, and it actually did show me who deleted me. Neat huh?

Well I started getting messages that whenever I sign in I give weird links to people on my contact list, on or off. Gimpyfish was one person who told me he got a link from me, though I never sent him one. It turns out I wasn't the only one, my friend Mikki and BlackAdder is also giving links randomly whenever they sign on.

What is the deal with this? Gimpyfish told me completely uninstall my messenger, then re download it from the internet. Well I did that, and changed my password, and I haven't seemed to be giving awkward links to anyone anymore. But that isn't he point; does anyone know what might be going on with this?

EDIT - My friend Mikki just sent me this link, one of the same ones I've received from others who seem to be affected by this... virus?

~ http://www.siviazot.info/list (Click at your own risk)
~ http://www.bedava250kontur.com/list (Click at your own risk)
~ http://www.lovedadadada.com/list (Click at your own risk)
~ http://www.xnetspeed.com/ (Click at your own risk)

Luigi player

Smash Master
Some people have this thing. I'm not sure what it is, but I think probably a virus.

Some people have it and the virus sends people messages like "Do you think this underwear on me look good?" and put a file that I can download from them. And things like that.

Since I'm Austrian I know that my messenger contacts wouldn't write in english and that I won't download this file.

EDIT: I'm not sure how to get rid of it. Try a antivirus program or reinstall messenger.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
This sort of thing happens all the time with email accounts and Myspace's.

Here's how it works with Myspace:

The bad guy sends a bunch of people messages with links to click on. If they click on it it will either steal their passwords directly (an actual virus or hack), or social engineer them into it.

Now that he has their passwords, he can use their accounts to send more messages to all of their friends, and the effects spread. After not long you can gather hundreds or thousands of passwords like this.

What's important is that the vast majority of people use the same password for everything. So their Myspace password is probably the same as their bank account password. Then they steal your money.

This is a similar scheme but using Windows Messenger. Somewhere along the lines, you either got a virus (possibly that website you went to) or otherwise had your password stolen. And now the originator is (was) using your account to get more passwords.

Sariku

Smash Master
This sort of thing happens all the time with email accounts and Myspace's.

Here's how it works with Myspace:

The bad guy sends a bunch of people messages with links to click on. If they click on it it will either steal their passwords directly (an actual virus or hack), or social engineer them into it.

Now that he has their passwords, he can use their accounts to send more messages to all of their friends, and the effects spread. After not long you can gather hundreds or thousands of passwords like this.

What's important is that the vast majority of people use the same password for everything. So their Myspace password is probably the same as their bank account password. Then they steal your money.

This is a similar scheme but using Windows Messenger. Somewhere along the lines, you either got a virus (possibly that website you went to) or otherwise had your password stolen. And now the originator is (was) using your account to get more passwords.
That makes alot of sense, which makes me glad I changed my Password. Then again, I do use that same password with other things, but it's not like he is going to try to hack my SmashBoards account or something.

I would tell my friends, but no one seems to be on alot recently. I'll try to pass along the message, thanks for the info.

Top Bottom