• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wind Walling and Tether Camping (ATs?)

Turbowombat

Smash Rookie
So I'm not sure if these have been discovered under other names yet or deemed as advanced techniques but please offer your input. I discovered these through random dabbling but I do not claim to be the first.

Firstly, a tactic I call windwalling. This is an application of the strategy I've seen mentioned where you toss the Gale Boomerang in the opposite direction then intensionally miss it to push oppenents farther off the ledge. I've found that if you toss someone horizontally off the edge (tilt forward or smash forward work well) you can then do a backward jump, throwing the boomerang down into the stage and landing on the edge (edghogging). When the opponent comes near or uses their up b you move out of the way of your boomerang. If they are directly behind you tap A or forward to climb back onto the ledge and the boomerang will go straight behind you. If they are above you jump off the ledge and if they are under you drop off of it. The effect of this is predictable but when you use it on certain enemies it has some interesting properties. For example Ness and Lucas will cancel out the boomerang and their PK thunder leaving them to fall to their death. If Pit is gliding at the time it seems to tilt him straight down effectively killing him. But this is just a supplement to normal edge camping, so even if it isn't particularly useful it doesn't hurt to do.

Tether Camping is a little more original. It's probably common practice at this point to edgehog characters who use tethers specifically for recovery like Olimar and Ivysaur. These characters have then adapted and started waiting until they're at a downard diagonal to do the tethers causing the tether to hit the edgecamper off the edge and then grab it themselves. To solve this simply tap down and Z (or whatever your tether button is) to immediatly transition from an edge grab to a tether making it impossible for their tether to knock you off the edge. It's faster if you hit down (barely) but there's a risk of falling to your death so it's more consistent to hit the opposite direction from the edge.

Tell me what you think or am I just rambling common knowledge at this point.

Legan

Smash Lord
Yea thats pretty common knowledge by now bud. But ill give you an A for effort and at least trying to help this characters metagame advance.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Not so much as "common knowledge" but more of something we've definitely have had ideas of, and for those of us who haven't already, a matter of working it into our game.
However, it was a very good idea to post this "general" information out here - it's nice to have people contributing, even if the contribution is small.

-Nox`

Top Bottom