• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Toon Link Be Better Than His Realistic Counterpart?

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Obviously Toon Link was so much better than Link in SSBB. Will this be the case again? Now we do not know anything about tiers and such, but it is fun to speculate.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh depends on the game's new physics and all I suppose and how they balanced the two. I hope their both well balanced and viable with their own quirks and playstyles this time around so people can just choose the Link that suits their playstyles the best or the one they like more instead of being forced to go for the one that is apparently the better one.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't know, I personally found Link to be the more ideal choice in Melee. Young Link never really appealed to my play-style (despite having the same play-style as my main, Link). However, Brawl desecrated Link in my opinion. I could no longer main Link and I began to main Toon Link. I would have thought, that in theory, Young Link would be the better character. I checked the current tier placement, and they seem to be about equal. As mentioned by Kikwi, it all depends on the physics. I feel as though the Brawl physics really attenuated Link and aided Toon Link. So if we get more Melee-esque physics, they could be equal again.

Link will always have the better KO potential, and Young Link will always have the better recovery and priority. It just depends on how much that actually means in translation to a practical fight. Then again, Link still has the Gale Boomerang... so you know... Toon Link has the edge. :awesome:

I have a good feeling about Link this time around though. I think he might actually be the better character (just a random prediction).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I hope not. Ideally, Link and Toon Link should be specialized variations of a single playstyle.

Given the larger focus on balance this time around, I have a good feeling that they will both be viable characters.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Even if Toon Link was worst this time I'd still main him, I don't know, I've always liked him more (I find both playstyle and character itself more appealing)

Morbi

Scavenger
Even if Toon Link was worst this time I'd still main him, I don't know, I've always liked him more (I find both playstyle and character itself more appealing)
I actually agree with this sentiment. I just don't like how his up-special and side-smash function compared to Link's. I like the knock-back. I am going to main Toon Link for his aesthetics though, I don't really like Twilight Link too much.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah same, even if Toon Link wound up being worse than Link this time around, I'd still use him more as I personally just like Wind Waker Link better than Twilight Princess Link anyway.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I will be angry if a clone of Link continues to be better than the real thing. I attempted to main him in Brawl, but I failed because of how horrible some aspects of him are.
cough cough recovery cough cough

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If Melee and Brawl were to be any indication, yes. The younger versions of Link are bound to be better than the older ones. That might be due to Toon Link's greater speed that his older counterpart sorely lacks. So unless Link gets some serious buffs, he'll continue to be weaker than his child counterpart.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If Melee and Brawl were to be any indication, yes. The younger versions of Link are bound to be better than the older ones. That might be due to Toon Link's greater speed that his older counterpart sorely lacks. So unless Link gets some serious buffs, he'll continue to be weaker than his child counterpart.
Uhm.. Link is higher than Young Link on Melee's tier list.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Uhm.. Link is higher than Young Link on Melee's tier list.
That so? I'm surprised to hear that. I thought that Young Link was better. Well, I guess my argument could still apply for Toon Link in Brawl.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I hope not. While I main him and don't care if normal Link is good or bad, I think no character should be clearly superior. I will probably main Toon Link in Smash 4 unless he is nerfed to Brawl Ganondorf level, and there is nothing wrong with both Links being equally good.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I wish not, Link was one of my mains in SSB64 and Melee, while in Brawl i had such a hard time playing as him even in "casual" matches, i had o main someone else.
He doesn't need to be the best but at least not one of the worst neither, i'm hoping for the game balance to play on his favor.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Hey guys, I never use Link or Toon Link, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about Toon Link.

I can't say the same for regular Link, I hated him since Melee, I actually used Young Link instead of regular Link, and Link got even worse in Brawl.

First off let's look at how they look compared to each other.

My reaction to this is ew, I don't think I plan on using this abomination for a Link, he looks worse than he did in Brawl, and I thought Link couldn't look any worse than Brawl.

Now let's look at Toon Link

I think actually Toon Link looks better in this game, better than he did in Brawl, in fact I'm considering actually maybe trying Toon Link for the first time in this game, this Toon Link looks promising and hopefully he can fill in that empty void that has been missing since Young Link has been removed.

With that said, in the looks department, Toon Link looks better.

As for playing better, if Toon Link is as good as everybody is saying he is, r perhaps maybe he is identical to Young Link, but I just don't know it because I never used him, then I'll have to say Toon Link will be better than regular Link, I never like playing as Link in Super Smash Bros games, he's so clumsy and stupid, I always use Zelda and Ganondorf, I'd like to maybe try Toon Link sometime because I give up on regular Link.

I'm also waiting to see if Toon Link gets some cool stuff such as if he'd get like a ALBW costume or his how his Dark Link looks in this game.

Does anybody here recommend me trying Toon Link?

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
toon link will be way better because he's kawaii

(but seriously, I think Toon Link will always be better, but if they made each characters strengths more emphasized, I think both characters would be viable)

CarterParrish

Smash Cadet
NNID
smellybutthole7
3DS FC
0404-7411-8213
In the recent e3 demos, Link has had a significant buff in his dash attack and overall power. So far, Link has looked better, But we still need to see gameplay of Toon Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In the recent e3 demos, Link has had a significant buff in his dash attack and overall power. So far, Link has looked better, But we still need to see gameplay of Toon Link.
There actually has been shown quite a bit of gameplay of Toon Link as well. Some Toon Link players even gave their opinion of how Toon Link has been getting on gameplay wise compared to Brawl.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Link is bit is more buffed but seems to still play alot like his brawl counter part
so if Toon Link comes out playing like his brawl counter part too then he will still prolly be better

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Link got better, but Toon Link still isn't a whole lot weaker with KO power, and conversely has incredible combos.

Literally he stole Smash 64 Link's boomerang, and possibly gave it more hitstun, lol!

Then there's that Z-Air that comes out fast, does a good amount of damage, has lagless landing, setups forward smash KO's, and leads to and continues combos. It isn't a jack-of-all-trades move. No, it's a Royal Flush-of-all-trades move, and if you don't plan on abusing it, you're doing it wrong.

Then there's the nAir which comes out insanely fast and with stale move negation combos into ground move or itself or even a forward air (KO move).

Oh and there's the up tilt that combos into itself, the up smash, and loads of aerials.

Man, I can't tell you how much combo potential Toon Link has. It will feel like Smash 64 Link, but with Toon Link's unique style and approach to things. All the combos for Toon Link feel SO FREE and SO LEGENDARY!!!

Link, meanwhile, is stuck without a lot of this offense, so it isn't even comparable between the two.

tetraforce

Smash Rookie
honestly Toon link did not look that good to me the game doesn't rely on brawl physics any more which Toon Link relied heavily on he might be worst this time around because the game has melee type fast falling not brawls floatyness a similar thing happen in his transition to Project M but who knows time will tell I don't want any of the links to be clearly better than the other but so far regular link actually looks better

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Link can charge his Spin Attack now. Can Toon Link do the same?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
We'll see, I've always preferred the Adult Link myself so it would be nice to see them ranged around the same spot but who knows how this game will unfold.

Top Bottom