• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will there be lag?

Viking Milo

Smash Rookie
The graphics on the 3ds version look pretty solid

But will the 3ds be able to handle it?

I notice that Pokemon X and Y have some lag while battling
but so much more goes on in a fight in smash bros than a pokemon battle.

Discuss.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I think there will be some lag if you had like so much stuff going on at once on the screen. But I believe it won't hinder gameplay too much. Who knows though. The devs might make a completely lagless game or vice versa or even in between. We'll just have to wait for more gameplay footage to tell.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Check my signature for the How "Limiting" Is The 3DS link, that should cover some things.

That article talks more about space for thing like characters then anything else. So it doesn't really answer this question.

It is true the Pokemon X&Y do lag at certain parts during battle. Other games that have more going on, like KIU, don't seem to have any lag. There are a multitude of possibilities as to why Pokemon XY lags. It will most fall onto the people making for whether it will lag or not. We really won't know till the game gets released.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Well I don't know honestly. KI:U never lags no matter how much chaos seems to be going on in the game now. Pokemon X and Y did lag a little bit, But my guess is since Sakurai made KI:U to seem to like never lag at all so I guess he'll be able to make this game no lag also but we'll have to see when it comes out.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I expect there to be little to no lag, KI:U was fine for the most even playing with Japanese players the connection was fine.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
The polygon count in the pokemon from x and y is kind of ridiculous, as in way more than what was actually needed. I feel that contributed to lag.

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
3ds might be able to handle to handle it, they might have to take out some items for the 3ds version because I'm mean imagine all the Pokeballs that might spawn and then it will really lag.

Thor

Smash Champion
I'm guessing competitive won't lag, because it will be neutral stages sans items with 2 characters (possible teams experiences mild lag). But 4 player FFAs w/ items on high and a big-blue-esque stage? Might lag.

Or else mild lag, but very low lag on 1v1. Sakurai will want to make it so it's not bad enough that n00bs notice it or else it will be seen as a poor game for that reason (because the smash games were always meant to be played with a friend or two).

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
3ds got this man cross ya fingers

LunethF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luneth
3DS FC
5327-1175-2830
The polygon count in the pokemon from x and y is kind of ridiculous, as in way more than what was actually needed. I feel that contributed to lag.
This.

The earlier parts of X and Y were very playable with the 3D effect on because smaller Pokemon have less polygons, but as you went on you started to notice pretty significant frame drops. The game looks great, but 3D is impossible to play with on all the time.
I think the characters in Smash 3DS are far less detailed than the Pokemon in X and Y (simply because it's not needed due to the camera distance), so I doubt there'll be many frame drops if any.

The only lag issues would be from online, as it can be a bit dodgy at times. Though that isn't what this thread is about.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
The only lag issues would be from online, as it can be a bit dodgy at times. Though that isn't what this thread is about.

If the online is anything like Mario Kart 7's online, we shouldn't be having much of an issue, it'll still be very playable with minimal to no control lag.
And it seems like, in order to combat any lagging issues, they made the 3DS stages more compact and stuck significantly less...stuff on the screen in comparison to the WiiU version, seems Nintendo already had this talk.

CrimsonDivine

Smash Journeyman
I suppose that the amount of lag differs depending on the 3D setting you have your 3DS on. Personally, I almost never use the 3D affect anymore because I feel it to be a little intrusive, especially when playing X and Y. Is it really worth it to play 3D and drop 20 FPS?

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
I suppose that the amount of lag differs depending on the 3D setting you have your 3DS on. Personally, I almost never use the 3D affect anymore because I feel it to be a little intrusive, especially when playing X and Y. Is it really worth it to play 3D and drop 20 FPS?
I never thought about that.

Does playing in 3D really drop the frame rate?

CrimsonDivine

Smash Journeyman

Whenever I play X, turning the 3D on makes the game run a whole lot slower than it does when it's off. Maybe it's just X, as I never had the problem with any other games, but it seems like Smash 3DS will be just as resource intensive, so I'm guessing that the frame-rate drop will work the same as it does in X and Y.

LunethF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luneth
3DS FC
5327-1175-2830

Yep, most times. It's because the Pokemon have a ridiculous amount of polygons.
The game runs smooth without 3D, but rendering all that detail twice for the 3D effect causes major frame drops with larger Pokemon (and by "larger", I mean anything bigger than a Pikachu).
Game Freak didn't even give you the option for 3D in the overworld since it would have been even worse than the framerate in battles. I hope they resolve that issue for the inevitable Ruby and Sapphire remakes.

I doubt Smash will have the same issue though due to a smaller number of polygons and the camera distance. At least I hope so, I like the 3D slightly on for faux-anti-aliasing.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
We might get a little lag, but it'll hopefully be at a minimum.
The only one I'm worried about is lag when there's four Ice Climbers on the same stage.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Discuss.
Tons & tons... tons & tons.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I was expecting online lag in this thread, but I'll explain both terms.

One is frame rate drop. Only a few 3DS titles like Mario Kart 7 and A Link Between Worlds are able to maintain 60 FPS with 3D on. Considering how chaotic Smash can be, we can only hope it'll be 30 FPS with 3D on and 60 FPS with 3D off, which should be the ideal performance. The reason why the 3D effect causes drops is because it has to render twice the image, and so the 3DS has to do more work. Optimisation also comes to play here, so Sakurai will need more time in development in order for that to happen. Also, Pokémon X and Y is a different story because it was rushed and wasn't optimised well given the amount of bugs it had during its release. But yeah, the amount of polygon and animation effects contribute to slowdowns during battles.

The other is online lag. The 3DS, as well as Wii U, utilise the Nintendo Network. It's obviously better than Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, so we should expect better performance on this as well.

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
I'm guessing competitive won't lag, because it will be neutral stages sans items with 2 characters (possible teams experiences mild lag). But 4 player FFAs w/ items on high and a big-blue-esque stage? Might lag.

Or else mild lag, but very low lag on 1v1. Sakurai will want to make it so it's not bad enough that n00bs notice it or else it will be seen as a poor game for that reason (because the smash games were always meant to be played with a friend or two).
Yea totally, well it won't matter unless Sakurai PUTS online in SSB4

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It may all depend on the amount of information that the 3DS can load up in one sitting. The horde battles in X/Y often result in lag, but you don't really see much lag for the triple and rotation battles, despite having the same number of Pokemon on the field.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
I have faith in Sakurai, there won't be lag in SP. MP it just depends on the other player.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Pokemon never lagged for me unless I had the 3D on. If the same is true for Smash, then I just won't have the 3D on. Even with 3D, Sonic Lost World never lagged. I think it just depends on the game. I've played KI:U before, but that was too long to remember whether it lagged or not.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Pokemon never lagged for me unless I had the 3D on. If the same is true for Smash, then I just won't have the 3D on. Even with 3D, Sonic Lost World never lagged. I think it just depends on the game. I've played KI:U before, but that was too long to remember whether it lagged or not.
KI:U never lagged. Because the game doesn't care how much chaos is happening on FFA it just never lags!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't remember it lagging that much. Though while it could just be me, I only remember two matches out of the over few hundred I had containing any significant lag...

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
There will always be lag for every console and game. Even if you don't notice it, there is lag. Lag will haunt us until the day people decide it's time to use their own wifi instead of the local Starbucks/McDonalds wifi.

Justin Bailey

Smash Cadet
I assume it would be like Kid Icarus: Uprising, and that game had barely any lag when playing online.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There's two kinds of lag, online lag, where info can't get sent fast enough, and framerate lag. And there's two structures for online play, filling in the blanks, causing warping and such nonsense, and one where every action is sent. Shooters and Racers use warping because it's faster. Fighters use frame by frame because it's more precise. Frame by frame can be incredibly laggy, just look at Brawl.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
So now two games, Pokemon X/Y dictate how the 3D Framerate will be for every other 3DS game? thats flipping ridiculous. How many other 3DS games are there with bad frame rate? Very little . You cant base every other game off of ONE game, especially not SAKURAI's GAME

Super Fox

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeldafanboy8

Discuss.
If a link between worlds can run at 60 fps, I think smash bros should be fine considering the type of game it is.

Top Bottom