• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will The Puppeteer Work?

How do you feel about this?

• Horrible, Rosalina should be alone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
Rosalina will be a playable character with Luma acting as her "puppet". She will have the ability to control Luma, and let Luma wonder off during combat. Seeing what people think, the majority say this is an issue, and very questionable. Although she will also be able to pull Luma back.

Questions include:

• Does Luma actually follow people?
  • Is Luma a good fighter?
  • Can Luma be easily defeated?
  • Is it worth letting Luma go?
  • How will you be able to control youself, AND Luma at the same time?
  • Do you HAVE to play with Luma?
Etc...

What do you all think? Of course, a lot of you probably haven't tried Rosalina out yet, but what do you think so far?
Do you have good feelings or bad feelings about Luma being her puppet?

I want all of your opinions
:p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I really like how she looks to play, and I think I'll be able to handle the two of them. Controlling Luma isn't completely direct, so that stream lines it a bit for me.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling sending Luma out isn't a great go-to strategy, but in return opens up a lot of possibilities, a few I can think of include:
  1. Rosalina's damage is high and you want to play it safe.
  2. You want to cover a bit more ground.
  3. Using Luma while Rosalina uses an item like the ray gun or super scope.
  4. You figure out some great combination of moves that requires Luma to be in a certain position.
From a few gameplay videos I have seen, I have only seen one instance where Luma so happened to be at the right spot at the right time, but this is also in the hands of players who picked up the game, and by extension the character, for the first time.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Bill Trinen just kicked *** with Rosalina & Luma in the Comic Con stream, on the Wii U version.

He didn't win but god it made me excited to play as her. So many options.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That recovery though.

Completely broken. She just goes pchOOOOOO.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Knowing when to utilize the Luma Shot will probably come down to Rosalina's adversary though. Of course, the Luma could also serve as a way for Rosalina to counter her opponent's approach options.

Either way you look at it though, Rosalina will probably be a very diverse fighter with the various ways that she could utilize her Luma partner.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Watching other people play Rosalina make me frustrated. It's because her metagame hasn't developed yet, but almost every match I see where she is a combatant, she loses. Even in 1v1s. I don't know how many times I've wanted to yell "Call back the damn Luma!" as I watch it fall to its death because the player didn't press B to call it back. My first instinct when Luma is knocked away or falling would be to get to a safe distance and call it back. I really want to see her potential, but it seems that no one can use her correctly at this point.

However, I did think that Bill played her decently in that match against Bowser. He also mentioned in that battle that Rosalina's attacks are more powerful when she has Luma at her side, so I think that I will only use Luma for spacing and to extend combos. I think the greatest challenge for us Rosalina mains will be figuring out exactly when to send Luma out into battle and when to keep it at Rosalina's side.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If I'm not mistaken, you can't call Luma back or interact with it at all when it's in a "tumbling" state.

However, Bill let the Luma slack off too much (he often left it hanging under the stage or near blast zones). And in his matches, he was kinda reluctant to use items when they were on, while the other player had no problems using them. However, maybe that was intentional.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Based on yesterday's stream she's kinda like Relius Clover from Blazblue, you can keep Luma close to you so that it can attack with you, or you can send it out, you control what the Luma does based on Rosalina's actions. The benefit to keeping Luma close is so that you have better close range options, the benefit to separating the two is that if you know what you're doing Luma can be used as a defense tool as you can have it fight your opponent while Rosalina is safe from harm's way until the opponent can find a way to her, or if you want to strike a balance between offensive and defensive, you can pull of some devastating combos where you knock the opponent for Luma to follow up with, or if you're crafty you can get the opponent stuck in between Rosalina and Luma for a bit.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
To be fair, puppeteer characters are a bit harder to learn. I think she has great potential for short combos, edgeguarding, and anti-grappling if people can learn to use her right.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I probably wont even use her puppet move that much just like I never used Zelda's Sheik transformation nor did I ever switch between Pokémon as Pokémon Trainer.

P.J.☆

Smash Rookie
I probably won't be sending Luma out too much. It offers too many benefits when they're together. Giving Rosalina more range and power on all her A attacks are too good to give up for a flashy combo. BUT Luma's attacks are always synchronized with Rosalina's. This combined with his decent knockback, sending him off stage with Luma Shot, and very very very slow falling speed means R&L has an amazing off-stage/edge guard potential.

Top Bottom