• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the PMBR borrow ideas from the Smash direct?

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
I know that Project M Samus' current F-Smash was influenced by Smash 4, and today there were some interesting ideas done to current characters such as Zelda/Sheik and Olimar.

I just wanted to know if this is a discussion we can have in terms of what could be implemented into Project M from the feed.

splat

Smash Lord
The PMBR has stated before they're not going to add stuff from Smash 4. I believe they discussed it when they were asked about adding the new characters, but I assume the same thing goes for moves.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I was thinking the same thing when the direct was showing Zelda/Sheik and Olimar. I really hope the PMBR takes a few ideas from Smash 4, like animations, moves, playstlyes, etc.
I don't expect/want them to add the same characters though.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
The PMBR has stated before they're not going to add stuff from Smash 4. I believe they discussed it when they were asked about adding the new characters, but I assume the same thing goes for moves.
They really only meant characters. As I mentioned, PM Samus' current Forward Smash = influenced by Smash 4 Samus.

Yea I really never liked Zelda/Sheik being together (this has been an on going debate I know) and it was never significant competitively. I think they deserve new Down B moves like the 3 pokemon did as separate characters, much like how Smash 4 is treating Charizard.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
According to some guy (I think Dantarion) on the SoCal scene facebook page, the PMBR already thought of Pikmin copter. Whether it'll actually show up in 20XX is a mystery.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
To be honest I feel it should really be the reverse. There's stuff in Project M that Smash 4 should totally be ripping off, like all of the changes to Lucario and Charizard.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
I cried with joy when I saw Olimar's new recovery and Pikmin management system, it just makes so much sense.

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
we're ripping off everything, we're gonna release smash 4 before sakurai does

D

Deleted member

"borrowing ideas" is theft of intellectual property*

* - this can only be said by people with lawyers. no lay person actually gives a shit.

since smash is full of broke kids i think we're cool.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Thank you Sakurai for getting rid of Sheik's useless chain... hated that move. Grenades are a welcome replacement.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
While splitting up Zelda/Shiek makes a lot of sense, good god I don't want to see Zelda with even more options.

Though there's that potential redesign floating around in the rumour mill, so it might be alright if the split ends up working it's way into that should it come to pass.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Smash 4 is secretly taking ideas from Project M.

Look at Wii Fit Trainer's Breathe In move. I immediately thought of Lucas' Offense Up.

Also, limiting the amount of Pikmin Olimar can have out and having them always being plucked in a specific order is something Project M did. Literally the only differences seem to be that it's one Pikmin less and that he uses Winged Pikmin for his Up-B now.

But even THAT'S suspicious because its effectiveness is determined by how many Pikmin you currently have out, just like in Project M...

Last edited:

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Smash 4 is secretly taking ideas from Project M.

Look at Wii Fit Trainer's Breathe In move. I immediately thought of Lucas' Offense Up.

Also, limiting the amount of Pikmin Olimar can have out and having them always being plucked in a specific order is something Project M did. Literally the only differences seem to be that it's one Pikmin less and that he uses Winged Pikmin for his Up-B now.

But even THAT'S suspicious because its effectiveness is determined by how many Pikmin you currently have out, just like in Project M...
Don't forget:
- DK's new dash attack is the roll, just like in Project M
- Charizard is a stand-alone character and his new fair is a claw slash just like in Project M
- Gliding cut
- Link finally has his jump slash

and the moveset customization is 100% Brawl minus.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
implying sakurai isn't just making games and taking inspiration.

Not gonna lie. I think Sakurai's only short coming was brawl and thats only because of the overall speed of the game.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
The way I see it, it can be good inspiration. If anything, whether you agree with his design sensibilities or not, Mr. Sakurai is creative. Many have come to me asking if SSB4 is actively borrowing ideas from Project M, and my answer can only be "possibly". I am not Mr. Sakurai, none of us are (in before Standardtoaster reveals himself to be Masahiro Sakurai in a dramatic manner), so we can't know for sure what he is thinking.

If Mr. Sakurai took ideas from Project M, then I'm not complaining. It is their intellectual property, and they hold the rights to it.

As far as us taking ideas from SSB4; I like to think that we can help each other improve our projects respectively. I think taking inspiration from Smash 4 is a possibility, but I wouldn't count on porting entire movesets.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I don't do stage work. There are many people more talented than me who would be able to answer such questions better than I.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
I don't do stage work. There are many people more talented than me who would be able to answer such questions better than I.
just kidding man, i just keep saying this bc i was very impressed with the design (even if its very soul caliber like) i know it must take weeks/months to be able to do something on that scale.

btw, what happened to Jcaeser? I miss the guy playing

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
i'd personally love to see shiek with another friggin move, nothing drastic of course just a move that doesn't give you different size, weight, and 10 more moves plus 4 different throws for Christ's sake
I'd rather they fix what's wrong with zelda and shiek individually before separating the two.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Do they even have enough articles for the grenades?
May as well give the dolphin kick thingy to her side B and just keep the transformation.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't support any idea that takes away a kindabad move from an already amazing moveset. But I do like the idea of splitting them so she gets a new down-B. Just, leave the sortabad chain.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
I can't say for the team of Project M - but I think the assumption, "Probably" would be accurate. Almost every game borrows from another game, unless they truly were the first one to create the genre, or just the first game in general.

Top Bottom