• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Smash 4 reach Melee status?

Jdfskitz

Smash Rookie
imo, smash 4 definitely will.

Reason A) Constantly modified for balancing and changes occur, think of it like League of Legends. Very competitive, gonna be long lasting, ever changing, always something new to look for. The best player is the person who can play every character, pay attention to patch notes and know what changes make what people worse or more counter-able and why.

Reason B) DLC Is a continuous thing and the game will receive more than any other smash bros game prior

Reason C) They are purposely developing this game for the fans, not the money.

Reason D) The Game is being driven by the developers for tournament quality gameplay specifically.

Reason E) I think this is the last installment of smash, as the graphics don't need to be any better. and they can just keep on adding as they please and changing.

Reason F) The speed is efficient, yet. not irritating. Brawl was too slow, melee was about right, but in some cases too fast for specific characters, in other words.. There "were" just bad characters. This one is well balanced between every character.

Last edited:

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
Hyrule ,Skyloft, Akaneia, Tellius, Ylisse, Magvel
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
I don't know if Smash 4 will reach Melee level of longevity but I hope it does because of the DLC keeping things fresh while Melee is the same over the years for the most part. Smash 4 is its own game in its own right, so it won't be the next Melee but I think its exciting and competitive to be able to played for years to come. Especially considering this might be the last Smash Bros. game, at least made by Sakurai.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
It won't be Melee par for the same reason Marvel vs Capcom 3 was never Marvel vs Capcom 2 par. The gap between releases allowed people to get REALLY good at it, and the game that eventually came out was so mechanically different it didn't catch on.

With that said, it has a better shot that Brawl ever did. Sm4sh is much more balanced, and not as floaty as Brawl.

Edit: Omega Form stages also give it much more variety in competitive play.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I mean, from a literal perspective, absolutely not. Melee is Melee and only Melee will be on that level as certain circumstances pertinent to Melee could only happen to Melee given the time period and whatnot; however, I do believe that Smash 4 has the potential to get near that level. And perhaps it will surpass Melee in certain respects.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I honestly goddamn hope so. Smash 4 deserves every bit of competitive attention it gets. I honestly think it should sit right next to Melee for a good long-ass time.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I don't believe that Smash 4 has the depth of play possible that Melee does.
So, no, it won't, not as a competitive title.
Quality of a game causes community and longevity in rough proportion, far more than the other two by themselves.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

TheBesss

Smash Rookie
Reason E) I think this is the last installment of smash, as the graphics don't need to be any better. and they can just keep on adding as they please and changing.
What if NX has no Wii u BC? I'm sure they will continue the franchise.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Stackofbeef

Smash Rookie
I wish project M was more popular. It's the most balanced smash game and it's just like melee.

I don't like melee because i don't like the current meta, but i do like how fast it is and the extreme learning-curve.

Project M did everything right in the other hand. I play it with my friends all the time.

Smash 4 is a good competitive game, but it gets boring pretty fast when i play or when i watch tournament games. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of things to learn in smash 4 too, but still, even with all these tricks, a game seem pretty boring when you watch and not very impressive.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
imo, smash 4 definitely will.

Reason A) Constantly modified for balancing and changes occur, think of it like League of Legends. Very competitive, gonna be long lasting, ever changing, always something new to look for. The best player is the person who can play every character, pay attention to patch notes and know what changes make what people worse or more counter-able and why.

Reason B) DLC Is a continuous thing and the game will receive more than any other smash bros game prior

Reason C) They are purposely developing this game for the fans, not the money.

Reason D) The Game is being driven by the developers for tournament quality gameplay specifically.

Reason F) The speed is efficient, yet. not irritating. Brawl was too slow, melee was about right, but in some cases too fast for specific characters, in other words.. There "were" just bad characters. This one is well balanced between every character.
All of these factors are what will help develop Smash 4 to be just as popular as melee while it's the newest Smash game on the market. I do think that if and when Smash 5 is developed, Smash 4 will be forgotten and the player base will move onto the shinny new Super Smash Bros 5 game. It`s very rare that I hear any news about Brawl..

In my opinion, what separates Melee and Smash 4 is Melee's unique gameplay and exploits like Wave dashing. Factors such as those two really adds flavour to the game where Smash 4 just seems, sort of bland when compared to melee.

What separates Smash 4 from the other smash games are the constant balance patches. These patches really help develop and evolve the meta in this version of Smash Bros. This lead's to players researching and discovering new combos for newly buffed\nerfed characters which is neat because you won't be seeing the same combos over and over again after characters go through changes VIA patches. I.e Luigi.

Green L

Smash Apprentice
This lead's to players researching and discovering new combos for newly buffed\nerfed characters which is neat because you won't be seeing the same combos over and over again after characters go through changes VIA patches. I.e Luigi.
The one thing melee does right is a much greater variety of combos. Smash 4 meta is mostly about grabs. You see the same grab followups from most characters in this game not just luigi. Mario, ness, sheik, diddy, Donkey Kong, game and watch, lucas, and several more characters. All these characters follow the same strategy everytime which is "grab, aerial, repeat"

Stairs

Smash Rookie
Melee's skill cap is definitely higher than Smash 4's, and even after a decade nobody's come near reaching it, so I doubt it. Eventually people will near the Sm4sh skill ceiling and hype will die down a lot, that won't happen with melee.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
IMO Melee needs to go... So many people blinded by the nostalgia. Smash 4 is an impeccable game and probably one of the best games ever made.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
IMO Melee needs to go... So many people blinded by the nostalgia. Smash 4 is an impeccable game and probably one of the best games ever made.
People think that about Melee too, though. It has noting to do with nostalgia. Fans admire the technical depth and fast-paced gameplay and that has helped it grow and thrive.

Not to diminish your opinion or anything, I just don't think you're being fair to Melee or its players. There's more to it than just "I loved this game in 2001, why should I play another game in 2015?"

DialNouns

Smash Cadet
NNID
NiallDownes95
People think that about Melee too, though. It has noting to do with nostalgia. Fans admire the technical depth and fast-paced gameplay and that has helped it grow and thrive.

Not to diminish your opinion or anything, I just don't think you're being fair to Melee or its players. There's more to it than just "I loved this game in 2001, why should I play another game in 2015?"
This is completely true, I only started playing Melee competitively a few months ago, having never owned a Gamecube as a kid. The game is extremely rewarding to those who put in the time, and meta continues to be pushed forwards to this day. It has survived for many years and will continue to be played for years to come.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Not to bash 4, I really do enjoy the game a lot, but if a smash 5 comes out then you're going to see the 4 players jump ship and start playing 5, just like what's been happening with Brawl. There are still a few holdouts, but for the most part the game will die off.

Melee really is in its own category in this aspect. Its the only game that's played on the scale it is that has survived sequels coming out, and even pulled in the same amount of numbers as the sequels. Like I said before, I have no problem with 4, I just don't think that it can be a contender in the same way for "best game ever made" when it doesn't have that survival (which Melee has thanks to its technical depth).

So no, it's not nostalgia. Melee is just one of the most unique games out there to play competitively, and that's why people continue to play it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I hate to be THAT guy, but no, I don't think Sm4sh will reach melee status. Now there are several reasons I believe this, but after taking the time to really understand melee, to the point where I can watch it, play it in tournaments, and talk about it as I do with Sm4sh, I just can't see Sm4sh making it that far. Here's a few reasons...

1) Type of popularity - Both are very popular, but for different reasons. Melee is popular because it's competitive. People still talk about melee because of it's competitive scene. Sm4sh is popular for it's competitive scene, but also because it's a new game which many casuals are attracted to. There are NO casual melee players, only competitive players at this point. Sm4sh still has TONS of casual fans which is one of the reasons it's so popular. It's competitive scene helps, but it's not on the same level.

2) Gamplay - Melee has more depth. Hate to say it, but that's the case. With L cancelling, dash dancing, DI, SDI, hitstun, wavedashing, faster gampleay in general, and the TONS of other character specific tech, there's just more depth. Sm4sh is essentially easy-mode to melee. All of the spacing and fundamentals that apply in Sm4sh also apply in melee. The big things that sm4sh have that melee doesn't are pretty insignificant at the end of the day.

3) Combos - In sm4sh a lot of combos are the same thing over and over again. There's not a lot of variety when it comes to combos, that's unfortunate. Shiek is gonna Fair > Fair > Fair etc. ZSS is gonna Uair > Uair > Up B. In Melee, yes there are a lot of repeated combos, but there is a ton of new stuff STILL emerging, and more often than not, the combos change from player to player. In melee falco has shine > Dair, or shine > Bair, or shine > Nair, or shine > shine, or shine > up B...and you can usually combo out of whatever option you choose. And that's just one character. That variation is AMAZING to watch, in sm4sh it starts to get stale after a while.

4) Community - Unfortunately this is the hardest hitting point. I feel as though the melee community will never really let melee die. It's a cult for lack of a better term. Not in a bad way, but that's really how I see it. There are very few people who are "kinda into melee", but there are a ton who are "kinda into sm4sh". We've all seen the melee elitists who love nothing but melee, those people will keep the series alive. Sm4sh doesn't have that. It's bound to change, but I have a hard time seeing people obsess over this game the way they do over melee.

I mean no offense to anyone with this post, I'm also willing to hear other points. I'm not claiming to be right, this is just how I feel as of now. Please keep any and all replies civilized.

Mediocre Dunce

Smash Rookie
I don't think so. The DLC is going to stop. So are the balance changes. Smash 4 has had those things supporting competitive interest in the game. Once that's over you'll see how things really are. If people get tired of Melee because of the lack of character diversity well, there's PM.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Having played both, I honestly can't tell. Melee will always be regarded highly due to technical skill and being a flashy game.

Smash 4 on the other hand is more varied (in terms of character choice and balance)

As for playstyles, Melee has more options for the styles that can survive... but smash 4 allows more varied styles of play other than being an overwhelming ultra offensive, option covering beast.

Both games are just so beautiful imho. I can never get tired of watching any of the two and I hope both stay high and in charge.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I don't think it'll quite reach Melee level. However, I do think it'll last for a long time.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
Smash 64 evolved into Melee. Melee did not evolve into Brawl, it branched off. Brawl evolved into Smash4. As long as these games intentionally evade the style of melee, you will always replace the next Smash game with the newer one. Smash 4 was waaaaay better than Brawl though, I feel like they will eventually get the formula down and make a great new style Smash game. 4 is fun, but not fun enough.

Unless Smash5 branches off again, Smash 4 is going to be forgotten like Brawl. Honestly if it did, I doubt Smash4 will hold itself up on its own. It just won't gain the competitive following. It's just the new thing for now, and it's not even doing that well as it is. People would still move to the newer one.

Basically what I'm saying is, even though Smash games share a similar theme, every single game is different. The difference between Melee and the newer titles is just so vast that you cannot compare them as the same type of game. It's like comparing Street Fighter to MvC, except in this case both games are actually good ;D.

Poopysandwich

Smash Rookie
Reach Melee Status as in replacing it? Most likely not. Reach its success? Definitely yes.The only way Smash 4 can replace melee is if they make the neutral much faster and how Melee achieved that was l-cancelling and wavedashing as well as having very strong top tier characters that made for a really fast paced game. Smash 4 has already became much more faster as good players become better. I mean look at Dabuz one of the most defensive Rosalina's in the world is now finding ways to make his playstyle faster. Smash 4 currently has really fast paced characters being Sheik, Ryu, and Pikachu that allow for the game to be move fast, now all that is needed is either A. find ways to make the characters themselves play to make the neutral even faster or B. somehow some tech at the same magnitude and importance as wavedashing and l-cancelling is found or added in and doesn't get patched out. When the game isn't in the neutral it already moves at an incredibly fast pace when the game is tipped in someone's favor, it's just the neutral really. As long as people keep improving characters, advancing the meta, and if Sakurai and his team keeps doing justice with awesome fixes like shieldstun updates then you can sure bet this game will reach melee status popularity wise.
The neutral will be faster becuase of the use of perfect pivoting combined with dance trotting/extended dash dancing but the problem is in this game your character survives for much longer than in melee.

Top Bottom