• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will smash 4 have any future at all

fawful64

Smash Rookie
now that we have a bit more info on the new smash bros i think smash 4 is a bit different from ultimate and i am interested in hearing if smash 4 will live on like 64 and mele

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If Brawl can still keep a following going, I think Smash 4 can.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Brawl can still keep a following going, I think Smash 4 can.
It probably won't be easy if you can only buy used Wii U systems. The issue gets escalated even further when you realize that some of Nintendo's best Wii U titles received Nintendo Switch ports.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I don't think so. Based on what we know, Ultimate seems to be more similar to Smash 4 than Smash 4 was to Brawl, so there's much less reason to go back. Also, unlike Brawl, which had some characters Smash 4 doesn't have, Ultimate has every character and more. Smash 4 might end up being the least played of the older games once Ultimate has been out for some time.

Then again, Smash 4 has a much better online service then Brawl, so that's something. The 3DS version might live longer than the Wii U version, perhaps.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Unfortunately I personally doubt it, but I expect there to be a decent grace period before it's dead.

I will remember it fondly

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I don't think so. Based on what we know, Ultimate seems to be more similar to Smash 4 than Smash 4 was to Brawl, so there's much less reason to go back. Also, unlike Brawl, which had some characters Smash 4 doesn't have, Ultimate has every character and more. Smash 4 might end up being the least played of the older games once Ultimate has been out for some time.

Then again, Smash 4 has a much better online service then Brawl, so that's something. The 3DS version might live longer than the Wii U version, perhaps.
Alas, I think this pretty much sums it up. There were very few things from Smash 4 that didn't carry over to Ultimate, and everything that did was debatably improved (the "debatable" elements being stuff like streamlined Final Smashes and Dancing Blade). Perhaps there's a future for Smash 4's custom metagame since they didn't make the transition, but I don't see a whole lot happening other than significantly smaller tournaments at Smash Con a la Brawl.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
There were very few things from Smash 4 that didn't carry over to Ultimate, and everything that did was debatably improved (the "debatable" elements being stuff like streamlined Final Smashes and Dancing Blade). Perhaps there's a future for Smash 4's custom metagame since they didn't make the transition, but I don't see a whole lot happening other than significantly smaller tournaments at Smash Con a la Brawl.
There's also Smash Tour and some single player content ;). Oh, and coin battles! :seuss:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not too sure if Smash 3DS even has that big of a competitive scene. It's not easy setting up a tournament with a handheld system, seeing as every player would need his/her own 3DS system.

Anyway, with the way that some people have been reacting to how Smash Ultimate handled its game modes, I wouldn't exactly turn my back on Smash Wii U.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Smash 4 has a really extensive modding community, I feel like it'll be able to co-exist with Brawl's current scene

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think 4 was the base for Smash Ultimate and it is inside Smash Ultimate in some way. It's just like Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, where we have everything of L4D1 inside L4D2, making the original irrelevant and limited.

itsjustoskar

Smash Rookie
NNID
alexxblass
its gonna be like melee and the others where they reuse it for tournaments and stuff. I don't think it'll be thrown away in the garbage and forgotten. It's still gonna go on. :)

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
It has a fun stage builder mode and it's the easiest to setup at tournaments because characters are not as annoying to unlock. So it would still live.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
No. Mechanically speaking, Ultimate is better than Smash 4 in just about every way. And with proper single-player content this time, plus portability and no compromises, There's really no reason to go back to Smash 4 Unless you either want to mess around as Bayonetta, or really like Smash Tour for some reason.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice

So if Ultimate is really similar to Smash 4, does that mean one's skills in one game are transferable to another? If someone is a really good Pikachu main in Smash 4, does that mean they will be a good Pikachu main in Ultimate?

Speaking with regards to Smash 4's future, I've noticed that national tournaments featuring Smash 4 have suddenly stopped -- it seems that all upcoming 2019 smash tournaments are Ultimate tournaments.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
So if Ultimate is really similar to Smash 4, does that mean one's skills in one game are transferable to another? If someone is a really good Pikachu main in Smash 4, does that mean they will be a good Pikachu main in Ultimate?

Speaking with regards to Smash 4's future, I've noticed that national tournaments featuring Smash 4 have suddenly stopped -- it seems that all upcoming 2019 smash tournaments are Ultimate tournaments.
Definitely, Pikachu is regarded as one of the best characters in the game by a lot of people. If you want a different flavor of him, Pichu is looking really good.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759

Don’t listen to this guy. Your skill in Smash 4 cannot directly be applied to Ultimate. Ultimate rewards aggression and on the fly adaptation compared to Smash 4s slow defensive gameplay.

Litty

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7676 3996 5282
Smash 4 got boring to watch for me once ZeRo left, I wouldn’t be upset if it feel from relevancy like Brawl did. Very little good left there seeing as Ultimate expanded and enhanced off the gameplay.

LIL ELF

Best Smasher in North Pole
Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
I really doubt Smash 4 will have any future at all. I do think it will at least last 1 year but after that it will be time to say good bye.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
I really doubt Smash 4 will have any future at all. I do think it will at least last 1 year but after that it will be time to say good bye.
Agreed. From a tournament perspective, Smash 4 is effectively dead, other than maybe at Super Smash Con. Virtually every TO dropped Smash 4 the very day that Smash Ultimate released.

From a numbers perspective, I believe that Smash Ultimate player base already exceeds the Smash 4 player base in numbers (even when you combine Wii U and 3DS versions).

As far as online play goes, it will stick around as long as Nintendo is willing to allow it; hell we still see Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 online play, despite Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. But I would not be surprised if Nintendo decides to pull the plug on Wii U online multiplayer support in the very near future, perhaps even by the end of 2019 or midway through 2020.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I wager there are many questionable decisions with this game, such as how they handled online play
I have two major problems with the game:

1. Online play is terrible. Unless if you are luck of living in a region where it works properly, it's not working not even remotely decent in some regions (specially in not 1v1 matches), and it's not a problem with the internet of anyone, is the format of the online structure choosed for the game. If someone says P2P is a default scheme for fighting games, Smash proves this is wrong.

2. I really liked World of Light. But it has some problems and is not the campaign mode I always wanted. It works very well as a great evolution of Events, and..... [SPOILERS] ......the final battle, that has a plataforming section, is really something near what I expected a campaign mode to be, but it's just a single stage in the game.

The bad online and lack of campaign makes the game doesnt feel really Ultimate to me. Still an awesome game, and the best Smash game I ever played and will keep playing. I can even ignore the campaign, but what they did on the online experience of this game is unforgiven.

Top Bottom