• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will our bird "drop off"

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
after mango said that he will rely on flaco less, and the rise of Marth is rapidly gaining momentum. I love this character but I fear that he may be outclassed by Marth, shiek, and potentially puff in the future. What are your thoughts on this? I still think flaco is top 3.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
The top 3 characters are all roughly even. Its just a phase where nobody wants to play anything but fox vs puff. PP has basically been retired for a year too. He was pretty much the only tournament threat that even tried to do falco puff, and he did it very well.

KGill

Smash Rookie
NNID
SplatoonMan89
The top 3 characters are all roughly even. Its just a phase where nobody wants to play anything but fox vs puff. PP has basically been retired for a year too. He was pretty much the only tournament threat that even tried to do falco puff, and he did it very well.
I agree Falco can still be in top 3 but its just a matter of the number of people who will play him more than his actual ability as a character.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I'm certainly no expert, but I feel that if he loses popularity, it'll come back with time. For a while there, Sheik was becoming less popular, but she's making a comeback. Falco is good, and there will always be a place for good characters in the game.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
Falco is the best character in super smash brothers melee for the Nintendo gamecube

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
This should not be a legit question lol. As soon as people see PPMDs return and witness the beautiful Falco play, they'll once again see the truth that is the bird. Not to mention he's flashy af. IMO, the biggest barrier to him right now is that we don't have any kind of flowcharted 20XX-esque combos OR really good tutorial videos, so most Falco mains are left to forge our own path like it's 2004 again lol. The other 20YY guys and I are gonna start working eventually on tutorials and stuff to remove at least a part of that barrier. In-depth combo research is gonna be further down the line. Biggest thing for us ATM is actually to wait a few years for us to have more like 3/4 pretty good players so we can do legit testing on theoretical stuff. Just wait, we'll get there.

Hedgehog_

Smash Cadet
Yes Falco has dropped hard because it is hard playing a character that dies every time he is touched.

As much as I would like PPMD to play Falco again I think he should drop Falco. He is obviously more comfortable with Marth and it suits his playstyle more.

Last edited:

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Yes Falco has dropped hard because it is hard playing a character that dies every time he is touched.
Falco honestly has higher survivability than Fox when not next to the ledge considering he has more room to DI to the sides in any combo, a better CC, longer tech rolls, longer regular rolls to reposition, a higher weight (which also means the opponent has to wait longer before they can act after throwing him), etc. But Falco players don't put a lot of emphasis on not getting hit, and tend to go into flowcharts and autopilot, even if only momentarily, at exactly the wrong moments.

You're right though. Falco players always play by the ledge and die for it.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord

As much as I would like PPMD to play Falco again I think he should drop Falco. He is obviously more comfortable with Marth and it suits his playstyle more.
He has said he appreciates Marth for a few MUs, mostly Peach and Sheik. The fact that we haven't seen him anywhere near full capacity in well over a year is also probably clouding judgment heavily. And "dropped hard" is stupid. He's unerrepresented, not dropping off.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
First off, Falco's not "top 3", he's still #2.
Marth's popularity =/= Marth rising over Falco.
What's Marth's lastest big tournament win ? Apex PPMD : he's the best Marth in the world, and everything he accomplished with him he's shown Falco could do just as good, if not better (save vs Armada's Peach I'll give the Marth this much).
-When is the last time Marth beat a top Falco ? idk probably ppu over Wballz genesis
Then West beat ppu AND PP at Five Gods, and that was before the death pool breakdown for PP.

Mango does much better vs m2k with Falco, that is fact.
Both Mango and PP have shown how far the bird could get them, them choosing to play Marth wasn't motivated by the statement that Falco sucks, he's gonna drop etc.

I litterally never heard anyone revelant say shiek > Falco.
Sure all this shiek revolt is no fun for Falco, but have the Marths and Foxes been handling it any better ? I think not.

Puff/Falco looks rough, but it's Hbox ffs, noone gets good practice, Hbox/anyone looks rough, save the 3 best foxes in the world.

The only one who's telling everybody "I could see Falco being as low as #4" is The Crimson Buster. M2K disagrees, I disagree.

I'm actually getting mad not seing any Falco anymore beside Westballz, and man it must be tough to be in his spot, fighting alone for the Falco pride. These top8s filled with fox shiek ICs Samus Armada Hbox (and no Marth either actually, I really like Marth too tbh) are starting to make me angry.

So sure, Falco's tournament results blows now, and it'll get worse before it gets better. Why ? Because 2 out of the 3 best Falcos are not representing him anymore, that's why.
And this has NOTHING to do with him "not being able to keep with the meta", or "relying on gimmicks" (thanks hax... lol).

So plz stop this whining already, I swear, Falco's actually better than people thought he was before this whole thing.
Falco beats Fox, Falco beats Marth, Fox vs Marth is even, Falco beats everyone below aswell. Falco's hardest MU is Falco, therefore he's #1. As a famous Frenchman said "Them being so many doesn't mean they're right" (It sounds better in french, trust me).

If this goes on, I swear I'm gonna drop everything I'm doing (which isn't much anyway). Then I'll proceed to Falcomaster my way to the top, just to show 'em punks who's as low as #4 then.

K so this may sound like a rage post... which it is, actually. So yeah. #FalcoRage.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
and that was before the death pool breakdown for PP
Honestly, PPMD was never playing well, but you're still right.
Puff/Falco looks rough
But HBox and PPMD agree Falco should win

If you're not in the Falco discord, please join. Once we're streaming, I'll make sure there's a FalcoRage emote.

I'm planning on going Falcomaster anyways once my wrist is better. I have locals now, so there's nothing holding me back.

Top Bottom