• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Ness fall off the wagon eventually?

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
I know hes top/high tier atm, but I've been hearing speculation that hey may drop to mid-tier due to his recovery and zoning style. Is this true? I hope not, because I've recently decided to main him. (I'm new to smash). I really enjoy playing him. Also, is eventhubs accurate at all? It rates fox as number 17 and link is way above him and luigi. I just find it a bit strange.

D

Deleted member

I can't speak on Ness' status, but Eventhubs is terrible when it comes to tier lists, so don't take them as reliable.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
There isn't a trustworthy tier list just yet, and with the DLC characters still coming in there probably won't be for quite a while.

The closest thing you could find to accurate right now would probably be a tier list created by a top smasher. I'm pretty sure Abadango has put together a tier list of his own.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
So do you guys think Ness will drop off the rankings to mid tier though? Just a speculation. I know all this time hes been at least top 10, but I just hope he doesn't fall too low. And I'll check out Abadango's list.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
According to Abadango's list Ness and Luigi are very low on it. Pac-man, duck hunt and toon link are all above. and meta-knight being well above luigi blows my mind. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Like I said, tier lists aren't exactly trustworthy. I suppose that a top smasher's list is likely to influenced by their personal thoughts.

So do you guys think Ness will drop off the rankings to mid tier though? Just a speculation. I know all this time hes been at least top 10, but I just hope he doesn't fall too low. And I'll check out Abadango's list.
We're still only a year in, so it's hard to say for sure. I think the meta is developing towards characters that have easy, repeatable setups into kill moves, and Ness certainly has those.

There's a lot of speculation going around about who's the best and who's not, but for now I'd say don't worry about it. We're still in the golden era of this game, where not everything has been figured out. Plus with the patches rolling in still, and even more new characters on the way, the meta won't truly develop for quite a while.

Long story short; Ness is pretty good, I would personally put him in top 10. I don't think he'll fall too much, but Sakurai has been known to nerf characters for no good reason (Greninja).

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Metaknight (top 11ish) is definitely better than Luigi (18-25ish), I promise you this much.

I think perception of Ness will go down once people play to abuse his comparatively weak options in neutral and poor recovery. He'll always be a relevant tournament threat (ESPECIALLY at non-top levels) but I can see him falling out of the top ten eventually not due to any buffs/nerfs but just because the way people play against Ness will develop faster than Ness mains can develop.

Last edited:

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
So I really enjoy ness and is my current main but I don't think I'm gonna main him if he's going to be utter trash eventually. Im new to smash and wan't to play a character that I enjoy and is overall strong (don't wanna play sheik/rosalina) The only other ones that appeal to me are meta knight and Fox. Do those 2 look promising?

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
I don't see Ness falling out of usage anytime soon, if at all. He has far too many things going for him to have people suddenly just learn how to play against him. This is mainly due to the fact that he can not only beat shields, but discourages people from so much as using them past kill percent, he has amazing priority on his moves, reliable kills through a good amount of means, and the best throws in the game--all of which are the makings of a top-tier character.

I'm curious as to why people think he's going to progressively get worse.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
So I really enjoy ness and is my current main but I don't think I'm gonna main him if he's going to be utter trash eventually. Im new to smash and wan't to play a character that I enjoy and is overall strong (don't wanna play sheik/rosalina) The only other ones that appeal to me are meta knight and Fox. Do those 2 look promising?
Ness will never be utter trash lol, when people talk about him falling off a little bit they mean having him fall from being a top 8 character in the game to being around 10-15th place (out of like 50something characters). IMO Ness right now is probably better than MK but worse than Fox, although both of those characters have a lot more room to grow than Ness does. Ness is probably also the easiest of those three characters to get results with, if you're not going to be super dedicated and practice a lot then Ness will always be a better choice than Meta Knight. I advise you to play whichever characters you enjoy, just don't get it into your head that Ness is a bad character.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I don't see Ness falling out of usage anytime soon, if at all. He has far too many things going for him to have people suddenly just learn how to play against him. This is mainly due to the fact that he can not only beat shields, but discourages people from so much as using them past kill percent, he has amazing priority on his moves, reliable kills through a good amount of means, and the best throws in the game--all of which are the makings of a top-tier character.

I'm curious as to why people think he's going to progressively get worse.
People get paranoid about where Ness stands in the metagame because has has a history of "becoming worse" in the metagame in previous games. The best example of this is in Smash 64 where he goes from third best character to bottom five. The reason this kept on happening was because the design for Ness was polarizing in his weaknesses and strengths. This question has been asked so many times that it's not funny now. This version of Ness is the most well-designed and balanced, especially in relation to the rest of the cast. He has weaknesses, but he's not going to become significantly worse because the design of his character is not that poor.

So no, he won't become "utter trash." He's in an okay position.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Ness will never be utter trash lol, when people talk about him falling off a little bit they mean having him fall from being a top 8 character in the game to being around 10-15th place (out of like 50something characters). IMO Ness right now is probably better than MK but worse than Fox, although both of those characters have a lot more room to grow than Ness does. Ness is probably also the easiest of those three characters to get results with, if you're not going to be super dedicated and practice a lot then Ness will always be a better choice than Meta Knight. I advise you to play whichever characters you enjoy, just don't get it into your head that Ness is a bad character.
I do know what you mean when you say Ness will offer the best results. I seem to understand the character the most out of the others I play (Just Fox really). I'm just more comfortable with him, landing his combos, all his aerials and just overall moveset. Not to say it's astronomical, I do well with Fox sometimes. But yeah this raises the question..I know there's a high skill cap behind every character, but Is Ness the most noob friendly character then? I mean the fact that he can be picked up and have results so quickly. Kind of is a bummer if he's considered that.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I do know what you mean when you say Ness will offer the best results. I seem to understand the character the most out of the others I play (Just Fox really). I'm just more comfortable with him, landing his combos, all his aerials and just overall moveset. Not to say it's astronomical, I do well with Fox sometimes. But yeah this raises the question..I know there's a high skill cap behind every character, but Is Ness the most noob friendly character then? I mean the fact that he can be picked up and have results so quickly. Kind of is a bummer if he's considered that.
He's one of them for sure. Mario, diddy, pre patch luigi, sonic kinda are "nooby" characters. But that's not a bad thing. There's a reason you don't see a lot of ness' at a high level: cause he's hard to use at that level, where Mario becomes a little easier relatively.

PSI_Powerhouse

Smash Rookie
I fell that ness will always be tournament viable, just maybe he'll drop out of top 10, but he will still always be in the top 15, or atleast that's what I think, but I'm fairly new to smash, so my predictions aren't worth much.

VRun0

Smash Rookie
I rarely every post but I just wanted to comment that people shouldn't be writing off Ness at all. People love to say that Ness has been figured out and has an extremely basic gameplan, which has been true for the most part (so far). I think it's up to Ness mains to start innovating and exploring new ways to use him.

NOTHING irritates me more than when people say "DAE think Ness has a bad recovery and is basic af, our char goes 55-45 w/ him?" Just because Shaky/FOW haven't been to a huge tourney in a while doesn't mean he suddenly isn't top 10 and now every other character beats him.

His air game is his most broken quality, and it's hilariously easy to spam safe aerials (landing u-air is straight up ridiculous honestly). That's what makes him easy to pick up; for people who just like to press buttons, Ness is perfect because you just jump around everywhere, throw out aerials, and tomahawk grab to mix it up sometimes. However, IMO, his ground game is EXTREMELY underdeveloped. Ness' only ground approach is his dash attack, which, surprise, is used to capitalize on his aerial strings because it launches opponents into the air. Just because his ground options are worse than his aerial options most of the time doesn't mean they shouldn't be used; Ness players who just spam aerials tend to get read and predicted very hard; it's good to mix it up on the ground and explore those options.

Have Ness players experimented with PP tilts at all? Have they mastered Extended Dash Dancing (a critical tech IMO, in spite of Ness' below average mobility) with him? Have they mastered the PK Jump? Have they practiced perfecting PKT2 frame traps? How about underutilized moves, like PSI Magnet (are there any unique applications)? It's this kind of stuff that goes to show that Ness can be way further optimized, which is why it irritates me so much when people call him easy and basic. His punish game is theoretically amazing when perfected. Sure, he has a ridiculous amount of reward at a low level, but to be successful at a high level with Ness you have to start labbing hard. It's been a year people, it's time to get serious.

Some of you Ness mains need to step it up. DON'T just call the Rosa match up "90-10, not using ness here." Why don't you try labbing it? EXPLORE Ness' options in the MU, figure out how to not get exploited off stage, work on killing Luma in an efficient way. Practice with Rosa players, see how you can work this matchup out. Don't be lazy and write it off as imposible. Is it uphill? Certainly. But it is defo not imopssible. It's true that certain things hold Ness back, mostly his mobility. But work on getting past that, not dwelling on it and forever accepting it as an impassable weakness.

Also this paragraph I want to talk about Ness' recovery. I think it's stupid people think his recovery is on the level of characters like Doc/Ganon when he has WAY more options than either of them. I find Ness' recovery to be decent. Probably bottom half of the cast, but I think it's workable for a large number of reasons. PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU THINK NESS HAS A TERRIBLE RECOVERY:
1. His double jump his massive which can snap to the ledge with PKT1. MOST OF THE TIME YOU SHOULD NOT EVEN NEED TO USE PKT2, HIS DOULBE JUMP WILL BE ENOUGH
2. He has huge aerials to cover himself
3. He has a stall option with PSI Magnet
4. His aerial acceleration/deceleration is excellent, allowing him to drift to the edge
5. He has a good airdodge w/ fast options out of it, like u-air
6. There is a ton of risk to challenge his recovery when he starts PKT2, and sometimes running into it to shorten its distance is not feasible
7. Rising f-air flat out beats a ton of character's edgeguard attempts
8. He can interrupt his double jump to unexpectedly PKT2, which is difficult to react to
9. NESS MAINS WORK ON THE FOLLOWING: Ness has a ton of angles from PKT2 that people need to practice. Recovering high to the ledge w/ PKT2 is something people often can't do, for example, so they drift downwards and end up getting spiked. Just go to training mode and practice! Ness players ALWAYS RECOVER at a 45 degree, diagonal angle from below the stage (I see you). It gets predictable, so STOP please
10. PK High-Jump exists. I can't find the link to the video, but try this in training mode. Airdodge and double jump at the exact same time w/ Ness, and he goes noticeably higher than normal. Most people don't know about this!
11. If Ness has room, he can PKT1 to hit himself on either side of himself. For example, say Ness is off stage on the right side, and he is about to launch his PKT1. You would expect Ness to hit himself with PKT1 in a clockwise direction, but he can also launch PKT1 in a counterclockwise direction, which is very rarely done (BUT SHOULD BE DONE MORE). If no one understands what I mean by this, you can ask me to clarify. Doing this throws off people's attempts to destroy the PK Thunder a lot of times.
12. Ness doesn't have to use PKT1 in a perfect circle. If you try to airdodge through Ness to absorb the PKT1 and make him fall helplessly, he can send it down further than you are expecting, and because PKT2 has such a large distance and can also wallbounce, STILL make it back.
13. Ness can PK Jump off stage, which is adouble jump and PK Fire in the same frame. You will get a very large horizontal boost from this.
14. This is a Rosa specific one: If you start your PK Thunder right next to her when she uses Gravitational Pull, you will get hit by her absorption hitbox so you won't fall helplessly! THIS IS BIG: Against Rosa, sometimes you should let her GP your PK Thunder (when you are right next to her so you get hit by the absorption hitbox) without using your double jump. This way, you can safely jump away while she is in the endlag of her laggy GP, and you won't be falling to your death. You need to have courage when offstage against Rosa; be brave and utilize every option you can. (on another note this matchup is a 40:60 Ness disadvantage IMO. back throw kills Rosa absurdly early, it's pretty much volatile in either direction)

And that's all I can think of right now, though I'm sure there's more (actually, I kind of referenced this but didn't have a point for it: Ness can use PKT2 into the wall, and if he inputs PKT again within 20 frames, he can use it a second time.) All of these reasons is why Ness' recovery IS NOT AWFUL. Yeah, it's not the best. Even with this list, of course it's still exploitable. But it's really not that bad, because he just has so many options.

In case you forgot, or needed a morale boost for using Ness, Ness has some extremely special qualities. His air game is in contention for being the best in the entire game. His grab and throw game is excellent (kill throw, combo throw, 2 excellent positional throws). His edgeguarding is excellent (enormous and long lasting aerials, PKT gimps with the tail, d-smash at the ledge). And his combo/string potential is excellent. Of course there's all the f-air ridiculousness, but there is much more. Seriously, falling u-air is great, and you can often get 30-40% off of one up air.

/rant. I tend to post enormous walls of text, probably because I never post but I have a lot to say, so I apologize. I hope this motivated you. Don't give up on Ness! You probably didn't read through this, so tl;dr Ness is still great (I would put him at #8-9 in the game) IMO and needs to be optimized in terms of his playstyle. A lot. Let's get to work people! Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Junji

Smash Rookie
Ness has a very bad reputation because of for glory. A lot of people think he's bad because of the bad players who play him on there. Ness is very good but I think he's one of the hardest characters to play efficiently without giving in to overused gimmicks.
Mostly replying to add my two cents: I think ness is okay at the rosa matchup. Not as bad as people think. don't waste your two jumps off stage and be careful when you are. Rosa might be great when it comes to exploiting his recovery but almost every character can. Olimar with his pikmin, Pit can use his reflectors, rob can just use his spike. it's not new.
ive always felt ness was high mid and i feel he's slightly over rated but I think he's never gonna really fall in the tier lists, he's very popular and even though he's been figured out and has some obvious flaws, a good Ness is nothing to sleep on.

MARTH_IS_BAE

Smash Cadet
Please. Ness has a horrible recovery. Say what you want, the farther this game goes the more this will be proven at a competitive level. These 17 PKT2 mixups listed per post don't mean anything because when a player sees Ness use PKT2, buys coffee, and then hits him with an aerial, they aren't honestly gonna care which clock direction you send the thunder, or where in your jump you start the move.

And also don't pretend Ness isn't ridiculously easy to use. The only characters who come close to being as easy are Wario and Mario.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Please. Ness has a horrible recovery. Say what you want, the farther this game goes the more this will be proven at a competitive level. These 17 PKT2 mixups listed per post don't mean anything because when a player sees Ness use PKT2, buys coffee, and then hits him with an aerial, they aren't honestly gonna care which clock direction you send the thunder, or where in your jump you start the move.

And also don't pretend Ness isn't ridiculously easy to use. The only characters who come close to being as easy are Wario and Mario.
So Ness is the easiest character to play in the game then? How? And yea his recovery is bad but isn't he much better in this game in a lot of aspects than the past ones? He has some of the best kill moves out of any character and racks up damage ridiculously fast. I don't understand why you're bashing the character so much with little evidence. You can't compare to last games, he was weaker in every aspect. Recovery is also more forgiving in smash 4 not to mention. And no, a good ness won't get hit while PKT2, I've barely seen that in a tourney. He's definitely gimpable off stage but he is a monster in other respects.

MARTH_IS_BAE

Smash Cadet
So Ness is the easiest character to play in the game then? How? And yea his recovery is bad but isn't he much better in this game in a lot of aspects than the past ones? He has some of the best kill moves out of any character and racks up damage ridiculously fast. I don't understand why you're bashing the character so much with little evidence. You can't compare to last games, he was weaker in every aspect. Recovery is also more forgiving in smash 4 not to mention. And no, a good ness won't get hit while PKT2, I've barely seen that in a tourney. He's definitely gimpable off stage but he is a monster in other respects.
Yes. Ness is certainly one of the five easiest characters in the game. There's nothing remotely challenging or in depth about him. I actually thought most Ness mains agreed with that. Can anyone pick up Ness and win competitively? No... But for a competitive player who has all the aspects of a competitive player, this character is so dang easy, by which I mean he has no depth, has nothing he has to compensate for with a heightened play level, and has a general game plan that does not resemble intense high skill when compared to what 95% of the cast does. Even Sheik.

Smash 4 is forgiving to recoveries in general across the cast, but in no way is this true for Ness. His recovery just stands out as noticeably crappier compared to the rest of the cast now. He gets gimped out of PKT2 all the time. So easy to react to. Thank you for at least admitting his recovery is bad unlike some others here.

Last edited:

VRun0

Smash Rookie

1. I mentioned that I don't think Ness has a good recovery. In fact, I would say he has a okay recovery in general, probably bottom half of the cast. But it definitely isn't as simple to gimp a Ness as you mention. All those mixups help his recovery significantly; no Ness players have completely optimized them all yet. Therefore, as the meta develops, and as people get better at gimping Ness, Ness players will also get better at avoiding gimps. You can't just disregard all of those recovery options with one dismissive sentence. Also, not all of them are with PKT2. If you ACTUALLY READ THE POST, you would know I said Ness will be able to make it back to the stage the majority of the time with his double jump alone. There is a lot of risk and precision involved with gimping Ness. Why do you think players like ZeRo would rather wait on stage than go out and risk a gimp? How much experience do you actually have fighting Ness players that actually know how to recover effectively (cough not on for glory cough)? If you are able to just swat Ness away with one aerial and guarantee the stock every time, the Ness player is putting himself in a bad position, and you deserve the stock if they do that. No Ness player worth their salt will EVER make it that easy for you.

2. How in the world am I pretending that Ness isn't easy? Multiple times, I state that Ness has a basic gameplan and is easy to use ON A LOW LEVEL. In higher levels of play Ness has to work hard to get those wins, because he does indeed have abusable aspects. The whole point of my post was to talk about how Ness mains need to develop their gameplans to not be as predictable.

edit: Sorry, rereading this, I don't mean to come off as hostile. You are 100% entitled to your opinion; you can go to every thread and talk about how overrated Ness is. Honestly, I couldn't care less if he's top tier; as far as I'm concerned, he is a viable character and a threat in the metagame.

Last edited:

MARTH_IS_BAE

Smash Cadet
Oh my god, if you don't think I know that Ness's double jump is his recovery get out... Everyone knows this. If he had a bad double jump or a bad aerial game he would have the fourth or fifth worst recovery in the game easily. I hate how when people criticize Ness's recovery a Ness main jumps in, "lol don't you even know he has a good double jump and fair??" Yes, for heaven's sake, we all do.

My perspective is that Ness's up b is the second worst up b recovery in the entire game. Do I think his recovery is the second worst in the game? No. I just think it's bottom ten. If you look at the fact that his up b will be punished off stage every time by 90% of the cast it becomes pretty obvious that his double jump is his recovery... Compare this to Yoshi. Yoshi's primary recovery is a heavy armor DJ with great height... Yoshi has the same options out of DJ as Ness (another way of putting this is that Ness has the same options out of DJ as everyone else, stop exaggerating). Yoshi also has way better aerial speed and a pretty decent up b... Is Yoshi's recovery good? Not really...

I can see you typing, "You can't compare our recovery to Yoshi," "I already said our recovery isn't great," etc. the end of the day, Ness' recovery can't be compared to Yoshi's because it sucks by comparison, despite Yoshi having a slightly above average recovery.

Ness's recovery is BAD. His DJ and options out of DJ do not save him. Do you actually think fair beats that many characters edge guard attempts? You really think air dodge will save you, or PKT at the ledge will save you? These are pretty much his three recoveries and they're all pretty trash tbh. Many, many characters have disjointed aerials and specials that will trade with fair 9/10 times and if they do then lol. Time to use up b, and good luck with "a good Ness won't get hit while in PKT2," as someone above said.

For example, if I am playing Marth and I have Ness off stage, there really should not be an excuse for Ness to make it back. It IS as simple as fair beating his DJ options. It really is that simple. His only worthwhile mixup in that situation is DJ-->AD and that is punishable as everyone knows.

VRun0

Smash Rookie
Oh my god, if you don't think I know that Ness's double jump is his recovery get out... Everyone knows this. If he had a bad double jump or a bad aerial game he would have the fourth or fifth worst recovery in the game easily. I hate how when people criticize Ness's recovery a Ness main jumps in, "lol don't you even know he has a good double jump and fair??" Yes, for heaven's sake, we all do.

My perspective is that Ness's up b is the second worst up b recovery in the entire game. Do I think his recovery is the second worst in the game? No. I just think it's bottom ten. If you look at the fact that his up b will be punished off stage every time by 90% of the cast it becomes pretty obvious that his double jump is his recovery... Compare this to Yoshi. Yoshi's primary recovery is a heavy armor DJ with great height... Yoshi has the same options out of DJ as Ness (another way of putting this is that Ness has the same options out of DJ as everyone else, stop exaggerating). Yoshi also has way better aerial speed and a pretty decent up b... Is Yoshi's recovery good? Not really...

I can see you typing, "You can't compare our recovery to Yoshi," "I already said our recovery isn't great," etc. the end of the day, Ness' recovery can't be compared to Yoshi's because it sucks by comparison, despite Yoshi having a slightly above average recovery.

Ness's recovery is BAD. His DJ and options out of DJ do not save him. Do you actually think fair beats that many characters edge guard attempts? You really think air dodge will save you, or PKT at the ledge will save you? These are pretty much his three recoveries and they're all pretty trash tbh. Many, many characters have disjointed aerials and specials that will trade with fair 9/10 times and if they do then lol. Time to use up b, and good luck with "a good Ness won't get hit while in PKT2," as someone above said.

For example, if I am playing Marth and I have Ness off stage, there really should not be an excuse for Ness to make it back. It IS as simple as fair beating his DJ options. It really is that simple. His only worthwhile mixup in that situation is DJ-->AD and that is punishable as everyone knows.
Okay, well the fact is that in this meta (so far) people let Ness come back to the stage a lot. Maybe they are afraid of the risk, but the fact is that easy peasy gimps on Ness don't happen that much. Sure, maybe people will start being more proactive, but as for now it just doesn't happen. And honestly I agree that it's possible that his recovery is bottom 10, but in my opinion Ness still has a workable recovery. Why are you getting so worked up? Fine, call it bad, go ahead and gimp every Ness you meet. I really don't appreciate your condescension. Also I feel like you are misinterpreting the intention of my original post; I was just trying to get other Ness mains to experiment with his options.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Just one thing : M MARTH_IS_BAE forgot to mention something... A simple counter can be enough to gimp Ness if he tries to cover himself with an attack, which creates a 50-50 situation (FSmash > Airdoge to the stage; Counter > attacks & PKT2). Most of us know it, but that's an important point. And remember, you aren't looking at things from a Ness perspective, so you can be a bit biased... When we try to find ideas, we just lab them and see if they are good or not. You know it I guess, but being aggro doesn't help. (I just hope this isn't agressive tho...)

I must admit that VRun0 VRun0 has made a good wall. It is impressive, but it has a good amount of interesting ideas. I have doubts about off-stage PK Jump because of PK Fire's endlag, but it could work as a mixup I guess. Going for a PKT in the middle of a DJ can still help grab the ledge, since Ness can't grab it during his DJ. I think I'll try some of your ideas, they should be explored a bit. (I'm bad, but who cares)

Last edited:

VRun0

Smash Rookie
Just one thing : M MARTH_IS_BAE forgot to mention something... A simple counter can be enough to gimp Ness if he tries to cover himself with an attack, which creates a 50-50 situation (FSmash > Airdoge to the stage; Counter > attacks & PKT2). Most of us know it, but that's an important point. And remember, you aren't looking at things from a Ness perspective, so you can be a bit biased... When we try to find ideas, we just lab them and see if they are good or not. You know it I guess, but being aggro doesn't help. (I just hope this isn't agressive tho...)

I must admit that VRun0 VRun0 has made a good wall. It is impressive, but it has a good amount of interesting ideas. I have doubts about off-stage PK Jump because of PK Fire's endlag, but it could work as a mixup I guess. Going for a PKT in the middle of a DJ can still help grab the ledge, since Ness can't grab it during his DJ. I think I'll try some of your ideas, they should be explored a bit. (I'm bad, but who cares)
Sometimes I like to offstage PK Jump when I'm recovering high, but I agree that it is pretty situational. Also, it's worth noting that PKT2 is invincible for the first half of the attack, so if you are close to Marth when he counters you actually go straight through him.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Yes. Ness is certainly one of the five easiest characters in the game. There's nothing remotely challenging or in depth about him. I actually thought most Ness mains agreed with that. Can anyone pick up Ness and win competitively? No... But for a competitive player who has all the aspects of a competitive player, this character is so dang easy, by which I mean he has no depth, has nothing he has to compensate for with a heightened play level, and has a general game plan that does not resemble intense high skill when compared to what 95% of the cast does. Even Sheik.

Smash 4 is forgiving to recoveries in general across the cast, but in no way is this true for Ness. His recovery just stands out as noticeably crappier compared to the rest of the cast now. He gets gimped out of PKT2 all the time. So easy to react to. Thank you for at least admitting his recovery is bad unlike some others here.
How does Ness have no depth and have nothing to compensate for a higher play level? Why are there so many people who main Ness in tournaments even top level. I don't see what you mean where you say he has no depth. He's a smash character just like the rest. There's nothing I see which could mean he has way less depth than the others. He has a move set and it's not like he has some spammable moob you can win with. Yes, I see how he's definitely one of the easier characters to pick up but the way you're making him sound out to be is just a bad character all around, as if someone like little mac is a more respectable character.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
He's one of them for sure. Mario, diddy, pre patch luigi, sonic kinda are "nooby" characters. But that's not a bad thing. There's a reason you don't see a lot of ness' at a high level: cause he's hard to use at that level, where Mario becomes a little easier relatively.
And what is so hard about Ness?

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
And what is so hard about Ness?
I think it's been mentioned above, but, imo, he has a lot of tools that need to be used perfectly against any of the high tiers. The "hardness" of Ness at a high level isn't about his combo game, just that a lot of the top tiers simply outspace/outpace him. But a Ness like Shaky or FOW is not an easy Ness to play and if you think so you're deluded. If it was we'd be seeing a lot more of him.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
There are actually people who think Ness is hard to use? I thought you all were joking.
Who ever said that he was hard to use ?..
The only thing that was said is that people are learning how to space themselves (let's be real, nobody would not want to learn how to space themselves), and that it could end up causing trouble to Ness mains. That's all.
If you want, pick Ness and try to get as good as FOW or Shaky. I mean, it might take less time than being as good as Nairo or Ally (lol comparisons), but it won't be easy either.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Well, if you have an opinion you'd like to share on the topic of the thred (y'know, that one in the title I didn't even take part in for some reason), feel free to stay and chill around. The board is actually fuzzy enough for all of us . *nods*

But back to the topic, Ness has just too good options to be left behind. Yes, people will start adapting someday, but now Ness hasn't got to be scared of chaingrabs and can deal insane amount of damage more safely (PKF & DThrow being better now helps a lot). There's just no way the PK Salt is going to end any time soon.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Well the fact that Ness is going to drop in the tier lists, will he drop as low as he did in Melee and other smash games?

High Entia

Smash Rookie
This is my opinion. Ness is likely going to drop as time goes on. I feel he's sort of like how Mr. Game and Watch and R. O. B. were in Brawl, Mario was in Melee, and, well, Ness was in 64. His recovery is so easy to mess with and his mobility is poor. People are only going to get better at exploiting those things over time. His matchup against Rosalina is already pretty poor, too. I think he's not going to be a contender for top tier after awhile. However, due to the sheer amount of positives he still has, he'll always be a high tier character and relevant to the metagame.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
This is my opinion. Ness is likely going to drop as time goes on. I feel he's sort of like how Mr. Game and Watch and R. O. B. were in Brawl, Mario was in Melee, and, well, Ness was in 64. His recovery is so easy to mess with and his mobility is poor. People are only going to get better at exploiting those things over time. His matchup against Rosalina is already pretty poor, too. I think he's not going to be a contender for top tier after awhile. However, due to the sheer amount of positives he still has, he'll always be a high tier character and relevant to the metagame.
You really think Ness will drop as low as ROB is in brawl or as low as mario in melee? Keep in mind the predecessors have a smaller roster. So Mario being 15 in melee means hes in low tier, in regards to melee. If a character was 15 in smash 4, then he'd be relatively high on the tier list. So in which context are you referring too? If you mean Ness will always be at least top 20 in smash 4 (which means he'll always be in at least the high-mid tier area) that makes sense, but if you're suggesting his placement to drop to those similar to smash 64 or Mario in Melee, that means hes going to be pretty garbage. From what I'm to understand, Ness is way stronger in sm4sh than he was in any other smash game. I played as ness in melee the other day and he was so weak compared to what I play in smash 4. His attacks are lack-luster in melee. In smash 4 I can say he's super powerful outside his recovery. He racks up damage incredibly fast, not to mention all the options he has. FOW on stream was mentioning something technical about smash 4 that makes Ness that much better... I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something about the mechanics of the game with get-up or grab release. Anyways, I hope he doesn't drop THAT low- as your examples were with ROB and Mario.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Ness is hard to use at a high level. Easy to pick up of course, but whwn you have no cheese to win with, you're going to have to rely on fundamentals, and that's very hard to perform.

Top Bottom