• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Little Mac be a good teams character?

toadee

Smash Cadet
I've seen a lot of threads about whether or not Little Mac will be OP or top tier, etc. IMO, it's kinda early to even make those claims. Sure he looks good, but the trailers for newcomers are supposed to show how good the character will be.

BUT, there is one thing that I think we can tell from the trailer; he will be good on teams.

Feel free to have a different opinion, but I think it's all down to his KO move.

In Melee, Jigglypuff is generally considered a good teams character. Why? His rest. It's also because of his insane aerials, but I think a large part of it is his rest. Puff can get a rest, and then Puff's teamate can hit him to get him awake again.

Now, obviously Little Mac's KO move doesn't work in the same way. However, then ending result is the same; The opponent gets knocked out.

I'm not even sure how Little Mac's KO is charged, but there is a few ways it could work well in teams.

__1. Little Mac & Mega Man__
I think this would be a good team. As Little Mac charges his KO move, Mega Man could fire projectiles at the opponent(s), to keep them away. Now, this is based on the fact that Little Mac charges his KO like Donkey Kong's B move, which, I do not think is the case.

__2. Little Mac & Rosalina & Luma__
I think this might be the best one. This is , almost, like having 3 characters on your team. Luma, by the looks of it, can do some serious work. She can setup combos, get people off the stage and more. Rosalina & Luma have so much potential as a character. I'm going to be honest, Rosalina & Luma could be good with anyone on teams. Combine this with Little Mac's insane ground game and his KO move, and this could be one hell of a good team.

I know we still don't know a lot about Little Mac, but I do think Little Mac will be a promising character, in both teams and singles.

If you have any more suggestions for good partners for Little Mac in teams, or to criticize (constructively) this post, then please, go ahead.

Thanks for reading :)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Interesting ideas. Teams don't get a ton of thought.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
If Little Mac absolutely dominates the ground, pairing him with someone who dominates the air would lead to a team that could manage all approaches, and that could counterbalance the other's weaknesses.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Little Mac and Ridley Jigglypuff could be a good team.
One is good on the ground, and one is good in the air.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Reviving this thread because I feel this could really use some more discussion. It sadly didn't see a lot of activity when it was first brought up, but hopefully now that the speculation period is behind us, we can start having discussions like these more often here.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I thought the intensions were purer. XD like how Little Mac dominates on ground while megaman can make sure he pins his oponents to the floor for him. But Yeah, KO punch all the way!
I plan on mastering both. Just a reminder, I Don't think Mac can willingly charge the KO meter on his own. He charges it by taking and dealing damage.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Having a teammate grab while Little Mac KOs the victim will be sooo good! I never really play teams but as someone looking to main Little Mac, I could see it being tons of fun

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
One thing to consider is proper spacing of the KO punch. Otherwise, couldn't you very well KO punch the person being grabbed and your teammate?

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I think the KO range is fairly short anyway so unless you're overlapping the grabbed character I don't think you can hit your teammate

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I'd really like to see what Mac's team options are. If it's true that pairs well with Rosalina & Luma, they could be a deadly combo.

Does Rosalina have good grabs and throws that would give Little Mac a chance to beat up thrown opponents?

BSP

Smash Legend
Unless I'm mistaken, Little Mac's KO punch doesn't just charge by itself. You have to either give and/or receive damage.

Following from that, I would think Lucario/Mac would be a good team. Mac could intentionally hit Lucario to buff him and charge his punch at the same time.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Little Mac is teams is going to be devastating especially if doubles takes off. He's really versatile in that regard as he provides incredibly amazing ground coverage while another character can not only augment his flaws, but accentuate them. it's scary to think of something like Sheik and Little Mac where you're never going to be safe

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Game & Watch immediately comes to mind as a partner for Little Mac because of the windbox on his Uair. I guess Megaman could also save him with Rush. Aside from characters who can help Mac recover, good juggling/gimp characters also work as teammates, as do stock tanks. Mac's armor is nice to have in a crowd, and there's lots of ways to compensate for his weaknesses, so he should be a decent choice in teams, though he also comes with plenty of risk.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Maybe, maybe not. But he does allow for amazing moments like this. Really I think he has potential depending on the synergy he has with others, in particular I think Wario may be a good doubles partner for him, but with Team Attack on he could be a danger.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I would have to agree with Rosalina & Luma being an excellent doubles partner for Little Mac. A combination of his terrorizing and frightening ground game level and their awesome air game would definitely make them a dangerous pair especially with Luma being a huge threat and Rosalina grabbing an opponent allowing for Mac to easily execute the K.O. Uppercut on him/her. I even thought up of a name for them: the Grand Star Champions.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Metaknight and Mac could be a lot fun. Mac is offensive, and so is Meta, and they're both pretty hard to defend against. I can see the two coordinating their attacks and rushing the opponent at the same time.

Falchy

Smash Rookie
as long as friendly fire is off, mac is top tier in 2v2's
when its on(which is the case lately, because without friendly fire 2v2's are more character decided) mac has trouble not hitting his teammate or accidentally hitting both the opponent and his teammate due to his massive hitboxes
without ff tho, i see strong synergy (like you stated earlier) say like zs samus' stun gun -> ko, falcon punch -> ko (lol), etc.

Top Bottom