• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will For Glory worsen you before a tournament?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
In For Glory, the average skill of the players on there is just that - average. You get the liberty of trying out secondaries, experimenting with hits, and training yourself to learn new attacks and adjustments against actual players.

But due to lag as well as their lower level of competition, will that make you worse? Will your bad habits transition to an actual competitive scene where you will use your For Glory tactics (purely subconscious) against a higher-level opponent, when you wouldn't have done those otherwise?

What's your method of training when you can't go to a tournament? If you don't have an active scene or many people to play offline with, do you recommend CPUs (Level 3-5) or Training mode?

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
With Cpus you don't have to worry about lag, but you could get muscle memory you don't want to get into your system. For Glory may have lag and possibly bad opponents, but you'll have (potentially) more variables to deal with and can keep your muscle memory more varied and fresh.

They both have their plus and cons. No matter which route you choose, if you make it to the tournament early you can play some casuals to get your muscle memory and game play "straight" for tournament play.

Do whatever you believe is better for you and then play some casuals. You should be fine.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
With Cpus you don't have to worry about lag, but you could get muscle memory you don't want to get into your system. For Glory may have lag and possibly bad opponents, but you'll have (potentially) more variables to deal with and can keep your muscle memory more varied and fresh.

They both have their plus and cons. No matter which route you choose, if you make it to the tournament early you can play some casuals to get your muscle memory and game play "straight" for tournament play.

Do whatever you believe is better for you and then play some casuals. You should be fine.
I took my For Glory habits onto someone on Smashladder once. Big mistake. He really outplayed me.

Casuals before the tournament do help me adjust, though. I didn't play for over a week and a half before MomoCon, and a few friendlies prior to the tournament helped me tremendously.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I refuse to play on For Glory. Period.

I usually just play Lvl9s, and if I absolutely need to play with someone else and I have no friends around, Smashladder is pretty nice.

I feel like I do fine the way I do. My reaction time is spectacular from the 9's, I can tell you that much.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Whether it's For Glory or level 9s, as long as you're consciously aware "this wouldn't work on a good opponent in tournament" during your playtime, it shouldn't make you worse as a player. It should help you learn tidbits of information about matchups (on For Glory) or improve your reaction time (level 9s)
If you're not able to know what would or wouldn't work against a good opponent in tournament, then there's a good chance you're just inexperienced and likely won't place highly at the tournament if there's real competition there. That's fine though, the tournaments are there to learn from and improve :)

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
It really depends on your personal skill level. As long as in FG you are playing correctly with the right mindset and understand certain things that wouldn't happen against smarter players (for instance you recognize that the attack you did would have gotten you killed by someone who knew what they were doing) then I would say FG would not worsen you. If however, you are adjusting your play to compensate for less viable opponents like throwing out attacks only because you know your opponent will fall for it, then yes, you will worsen yourself. But hey, if you really wanna play online AND get good practice, why not use the various online tools we have anyways?

As far as lag goes, it really isn't that bad. I have had majority great connections and anytime I did lose (with a good connection) it was not because of tiny lag, it was my poor decision making or just being outplayed.

Playing CPU's only really teaches me to exploit their behavior, but that's just me. Personally I love playing a new human opponent and downloading/reading them.

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
I use a combination on CPU 9, FG and friends to practice. Mosty CPU and FG though. I fell like a lot of the CPU characters don't have realistic strategies and it's obviously impossible to practice baits and reads. I think a combination of the two is pretty good though. You get to practice cleaning up tech and mixups against the CPU and work on your baits and reads against real people on FG.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
i don't know what's with all this CPU 9 stuff i'm hearing, but here's how i practice my technical skill and mental.

Technical:
  • I go to smash and put the CPU on 3 with timer on 10 mins.
  • i proceed to beat the crap out of that CPU until i feel one with my character and absolutely know what's going to happen to that CPU after every hit confirm i achieve on them.
  • after i'm warmed up, i hit the training mode and practice movement options, char-specific tech, and other stuff.
  • i then work on different setups and combos at low %, mid %, and high % into kill confirms and that's really it.
Mental:
  • I play people.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I just practice things like smooth movement with my character, jab lock setups, footstool setups and more in Training mode. On a technical level of figuring things out after referring to in-depth analysis on your specific character on the sub character forums, it really helps serve as a reminder of the things I need to work on and try to reduce as many mistakes as possible. It's tricky in your case because it doesn't seem as though you have many people close by in which you can play friendlies with in preparation. For me personally, I think being able to take frame data and such from Smashboards (hittin' up the books!) and applying it in something like Training mode can really help with fundamentals and tech.

sofaturtles

Smash Rookie
I personally just jump onto training mode and practice movement (perfect pivotting, foxtrotting etc.) for about 10 minutes to warm up, then I jump on For Glory for actual practice. In my head I always try to take note of how I could have been punished by my opponent.

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
If you're playing at a tournament, you should be able to meet some people who can serve as practice partners for you, or will at least play you some friendlies from time to time.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
It's not bad to practice on For Glory. I get nervous before a tournament, and so I just try not to play before one. Naturally I get better the more friendliest I do, and I expect that should be the same for For Glory. It might worsen you, but you can just get back on your feet!

Top Bottom