• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Converting RCA to VGA Have Less Lag Than to HDMI?

esmb17

Smash Rookie
So I found a massive ~32inch CRT tv in my basement that I've been using to play melee (NTSC gamecube version) on, but It's too big to have upstairs in my house. I'm an avid pc gamer and I have a monitor at my desk that has HDMI DVI and VGA ports that each aren't in use, I looked it up and there exist $15-30 adapters for HDMI and VGA (Couldn't find DVI for some reason). My monitor has a ~1ms response time so this wont be the the cause of much lag (More than a CRT though of course), what adapter will have the least lag and be relatively inexpensive? I was thinking that the RCA to VGA would have the least lag as converting an analogue signal to another analogue one might be faster than converting an analogue one to a digital signal, but I don't know anything about signal conversion so that is all speculation from me.

So TL;DR, which converter will have the least lag: RCA to VGA or RCA to HDMI? Also, any links to good inexpensive converters?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Without actually testing, I don't think this is going to help you much. You might get a small improvement since you're converting an Analog signal to analog, but if the monitor you're using is of the LCD type it will be slightly laggier by default than a CRT monitor would be. The display is still digital in that case, to my knowledge.

esmb17

Smash Rookie
I'll probably just test the adapters to see if it works well as they are very cheap. Thank you!

Top Bottom