• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Bomb Jumping and/or Good Hookshot return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
So, I am wondering if two of Link's bst recovery tricks from Melee will return in SSB4- the Hookshot and the Bomb-jump. By the Hookshot I mean being able to grab onto any part of the stage for recovery, and by the bomb jump I mean being able to hit Link's own bomb to gain another spin attack. I sorely missed both of these in Brawl, and the nerfed Clawshot is still conspicuous in Project M. Do you think Sakurai will bring Link's recovery options back?

I hope so, but Link has a history of being given the shaft in the Smash series and I'm not sure if Sakurai wants Link to have a decent recovery- his view of balancing the character may be different than that of the competitive community. So, what do you think? And while we are at it, do you see the Clawshot returning or Link trading it in for the old Hookshot?

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
What I never understood was how the hookshot enabled Smash Link to grab onto any surface though it only allowed LoZ Link to hook to tiny targets, while the clawshot only allows Smash Link to grab ledges while it allowed LoZ link to grab onto entire walls, ceilings, and towers. I'd like them to keep the clawshot but bring back the functionality of the hookshot.

As for the bomb-jump... well of course!

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Oh please, please, please give Link back his awesome multiple recovery options!
Having only one straight trajectory recovery that was based on his forward momentum is what really crippled him because he was just too predictable when ever he tried to recover. It is always a plus when you have good multiple recovery options with a character.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I imagine they'd bring back bomb jumping, it only seems natural. As for the Clawshot, it sounds a bit too good to be true to bring back the Hookshot's mechanics from Melee, but I hope they do bring those mechanics back. Link needs upgrades =/ .

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
The Clawshot doesn't actually make as much sense grabbing anywhere as the Hookshot did. But, there's confirmed buffs to normal tether recovery, so that's something. Also, confrimed buff to Link's recovery move. So this stuff might not even be necessary.

(Was the bomb jump really not possible in Brawl?)

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Damn, that clawshot range! Link isn't going to have as much trouble recovering as he did in Brawl but if his spin attack is still pathetic than people will just expect Link players to use the clawshot as a default recovery...

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
As long as tether grabs aren't forced by recovery placement I think a good Link will still be able to mix it up. The tether might even serve to build mind games as long as one is able to maximize what few other options he has open to him. I'm hoping for a buffed horizontal movement speed that will help this out.

I'm more excited about what this says for possible edge-guarding options.

@ ToothiestAura ToothiestAura (The bomb jump was impossible in brawl, unless in a double Link 2v2, as friendly fire means the Links can hit each other's bombs and use their 'rangs to help with recovery, though coordinating these would take lots of practice. There was always the whole "holding a bomb while at high percentage to try and get a second up-b by allowing the bomb to explode after the first up-b," but I don't think that counts.)

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Ah, I don't think I had tried to do the bomb jump in brawl. So I wasn't sure. Good to know.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I love the bomb jump in PM, I haven't done it in melee, but that'd be awesome in smash 4.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
If they add the clawshot grab cancel so one can use the spin attack, that would be a good diversity! And of course the bomb jump may help a lot, and was so satisfying when you pull it out. xD

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
His grab is confirmed to be the Clawshot from Brawl, but it has much more range, so I don't think it is a bad thing.
Hm, Clawshot mechanics huh? I'll admit that slightly disappoints me as I loved the Hookshot's mechanics. But I guess the longer range may help, I guess we'll just have to find out how useful it'll really be.

The_Sheik

Smash Apprentice
Hm, Clawshot mechanics huh? I'll admit that slightly disappoints me as I loved the Hookshot's mechanics. But I guess the longer range may help, I guess we'll just have to find out how useful it'll really be.
Well, it has the DESIGN of the Clawshot, but maybe it works like the Hookshot from Melee.
...Nah it's gonna work like in Brawl. I can see it.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Is not that bad, if they give him more range im ok with that. What i desperately need is the bombed spin attack. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom