• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will anyone be willing to play Special Brawl Fast mode for tourney's?

El_Komosutro

Smash Journeyman
Why was Lightning unplayable? It was the standard here, and we got away with playing the same as regular...
I asked, around and random tourney players just wouldn't give a straight answer. I remember one person gave the reason that the physics were actually different, that's when I stopped asking...

My question was, why don't you play on lightning mode, I mean, MVC2 is played on turbo...

Generic answers like: "this is mlg" or "lightning mode is for noobs" were given to me...

Anyways, would you play fast brawl in tourney's?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why was Lightning unplayable? It was the standard here, and we got away with playing the same as regular...
Because it makes everything faster. Startup frames, lag, everything. Suddenly, you have everyone having 1-frame attacks and overpowered smashes that come out in 2-3 frames (Marth's tipper after only 3 frames? Yes, please!).

The window for punishing is much smaller since everything is faster. You can just spam out another attack to make your first one safe. That or spotdodge, I guess. Shielding would also be much harder since everything has less startup now so you'll find yourself shieldcamping a lot anytime the opponent is around. Fast throws and moves will be overpowered since they won't be DI-able on pure reaction anymore.

A lot of things get screwed up by Lightning Mode.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
no way. setting a "special brawl" standard like lightning speed or heavy gravity for tournament matches would bring about the demise of the competitive scene, as it would alienate newcomers who want to step up from casual play

doubles tournaments, however are hot like fire

Tropical

Smash Rookie
God I loved Brawl fast mode. At Cal we had a group of about 12 of us that would only play fast-mode only. Very satisfying; you start thinking quicker because you have to react in half the time. Then when you play a slow-brawl round every once in a while you feel like a god just waiting for things to happen. Nostalgic as hell right now.

Top Bottom