• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U Set-up Help

Diltune

Smash Cadet
So, my Wii u is set to HDMI and my Gamepad isn't linked up with my Wii U and I need to change it to composite.
Only problem is I don't own a TV with an HDMI port and can't link my Gamepad if I can't see the code.
Is there anything I can do about this?

Last edited:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried plugging in the Wii U using an AV/Component Video Cable (from a Wii or elsewhere)? I haven't tried doing that myself, but the Wii U is compatible with those and based on what these instructions say, I think you may still be able to get audio and video on your TV even if it's set to HDMI mode. My impression is that an AV or Component Video Cable will allow you to see the code on your TV for the purposes of linking your GamePad and that you can later correct the resolution once you've synced things up.

I could be wrong about that though, so if the stuff mentioned above doesn't work, I think it's probably a good idea to take a closer look at Nintendo's instructions and see if they help solve your specific problem.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If a TV is in HDMI mode, it'll be stuck there permanently unless you have a synced Game Pad and go into the System Settings and configure it. (Dumb I know. They should allow you to do this without a Game Pad.)

If you have a friend with an HDMI TV, go to their place and do the setup there, if you don't, I have an unorthodox method that will work.

Go to Best Buy and find any HDMI floor model and just tell the people there you are testing the picture quality of the TV with your video game and they'll let you hook it up. Hook it up to the TV, configure your Game Pad, then go into the settings. Now you can leave and go home and just change your settings to Non-HDMI later.

Hope that helps! :039:

Top Bottom