• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Wii U Pro Controller replace a GameCube Controller?

minilabs

Smash Rookie
As the title already states I'm curious as to whether or not a Wii U Pro Controller is a good alternative to a GameCube controller for competitive or casual play? Also, how much better is one over the other and why?

I was hoping to get some pretty unbiased and objective information (I realize that's literally impossible) in regards to these particular questions. BTW I'm aware that you can map the buttons of any controller in the options menu.

I've seen this topic discussed at the other following links:

Here
http://tinyurl.com/mz8c8oa
Here
http://tinyurl.com/pfb26bw
And here
http://tinyurl.com/lrrjhsr

Khao

Smash Lord
There's only two "objective" advantages to the Gamecube controller, and I say "objective" in quotes because they still depend on the idividual.

It's wired.

And long-time fans are already used to it.

That's pretty much it.

The controller being wired is only really an advantage if you are a tournament player, as they probably wouldn't even let you use a wireless controller due to interference issues and ****. If you're not, then it really doesn't matter, the difference (if there's any in the first place) in imput lag between the gamecube controller and every other controller is completely unnoticeable. So for personal use, it's an advantage only if you miss the good old times when you accidentally tripped over your cables and pulled the console from your shelf into the floor.

The "already used to it" point, obviously only applies if you are used to it. If you're not, then they're the same ****ing thing if you're coming on to either controller with no experience.

As for advantages to the Pro Controller...

It's wireless (lolyes, it's both an advantage and a disadvantage and it completely depends on what kind of player you are)

And you get an extra button.

That's it.

So which one's a better choice? That's completely up to you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Neither is really better or worse than the other. In the end it boils down to how many shoulder buttons you want (3 or 4), and where you want the C-stick located (below or above ABXY buttons). I mean, both controllers control the game the same way, so it's not like one has some super secret properties that make it so much better than the other. Just play what suits you and your interests.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
I like the shoulder buttons alot more then triggers so thats me

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
The more ergonomic layout and better C stick placement and shoulder buttons rather than the triggers make the Pro controller stand out for me.
Also it means I don't wear down my gamepad in the process.
The L and R buttons are a liability for me because I'm used to setting L to jump. It's hard to get precise jumps with the L button on the GC controller. It's much easier on the pro controller.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
When I learned I would be unable to get an adapter Day 1, I just resulted to using the Pro Controller. After playing with the pro controller so long now I can't use the Gamecube controller because it isn't as comfortable In my opinion. I feel like the button layout is perfect although this is from a person that doesn't use a stick for aerials often.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Like has been said if you're already very well-versed in using GameCube controller then that may be an advantage in favor of the GC controller. If you're not going to tournaments a whole lot or you're like me and stopped using the GC controller as much once Brawl gave the option for Classic Controller support, then the Wii U Pro Controller is amazing, it's comfy and very well layed out.

Rauthian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rauthian
I changed from Gamecube to the Wii U Pro. Never looked back.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
The octagonal carving that houses the left analog stick on the GameCube is the one thing that could make the Pro Controller perfect. I find myself accidentally miss-inputting certain commands (teleports, shadow sneak instead of hydro-pump, wrong-direction D-special with Charizard), list goes on. I have been using the Pro since launch and it seems to be good for the most part. Those miss-inputs don't happen all the time and the C-Stick being on top of the ABXY buttons aren't too bad of a thing. Yes, you may touch the C-Stick while inputting the ABXY buttons accidentally but you start to not notice it there anymore after awhile. I largely prefer the C-Stick above the ABXY buttons since aerials feel more natural to me with it placed there than the bottom, like the GameCube. If you like wireless, go Pro.

m0ll0y

Smash Cadet
If you played gc controller for a while you probability should , unless money is an issue .currently im trying to save up for the adapter rn

minilabs

Smash Rookie
Input lag, cultural influence and tournament rules aside, with all else being equal, is there anything out there that the Wii U Pro Controller does better/worse in game play that the GameCube controller does/does not (and vice versa)?

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Input lag, cultural influence and tournament rules aside, with all else being equal, is there anything out there that the Wii U Pro Controller does better/worse in game play that the GameCube controller does/does not (and vice versa)?
Not really. I mean, the buttons are the same, other than there being a ZL.

That said, the Pro's d-pad is better quality, imo, making taunting a sleeker and more rewarding experience. Which is serious business, amirite? In seriousness, though, the difference in the layout of ABXY might sway some people. The A button is the rightmost button on the Pro, but it is surrounded on all sides by BXY on the GCN controller. Some folks like the central A button, since that's one of the buttons you'll be using most. Other people like the more traditional ABXY layout.

Lolofora

Smash Rookie
I started playing smash again. I do like that new controller as I never liked the GC one.

Now for tournement this thing is wireless and I don't even know how to turn it off. This is a bit of a mess, what happened at Apex if one player had a Wii Pro Controller?

Pikachu24Fan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pikachu24Fan
3DS FC
4725-8122-1698
Since I can never seem to find a gcn adapter, I have to use the pro controller as an alternative and it works just fine to me lol though I do admit took me a bit to actually get used to it.

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
It pretty much comes down to preference for the player. Most people only try using the gamecube controller over the pro controller because they have more experience with it (melee, brawl), and it's a wired controller (decreases chances of lag). I've been using the gamepad since the game released and I honestly have learned to adapt to the controller (though, that's mostly due to the fact I can't get my hands on a gamecube adapter).

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
While at APEX15 every other opponent a different controller, some cube, some pro, some classic pro and yes wiimote and chuck users were there, its all down to what feels good to you, I use cube only cause IV been using it for smash since 01

shapular

Smash Ace
It makes it easier to jump cancel up B with tap jump off since you can just roll your thumb from Y to B, and the digital triggers make shield timing more precise. You also have an extra trigger to work with if you need it. Lack of an octagonal gate can be annoying, but it can also make it easier to get precise angles with moves like Zelda or Fox's up B.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
The problem with the pro controller is the input lag and that the C-stick is upwards. (The gamepad has a similar button layout without the input lag)

The problem with the GC is that the adapter is so hard to find.

IntriguedGamer

Smash Cadet
I prefer the Pro to the GC since it fits my hands alot better. It would be nice if the Pro had the second analog stick moved to the bottom for a cleaner feel. Also I find very little lag on the Pro except when I am playing online.

RorschachDM

Smash Rookie
As everyone else here has pointed out, it's personal preference. SOME tournaments might not allow the wireless controllers, but it seems that a lot of the larger ones are allowing it, so I'm not sure that smaller locals have much of an excuse not to allow it.

I have not seen any noticeable input lag with my Pro controller, but I'm curious what more advanced players feel, I doubt they'll notice anything. Wireless is pretty good nowadays.

Go with what you want, **** the haters and smack them around a little bit maybe to show them that the Pro controller is fine. :p

I prefer the Pro to the GC since it fits my hands alot better. It would be nice if the Pro had the second analog stick moved to the bottom for a cleaner feel. Also I find very little lag on the Pro except when I am playing online.
I think they went with the location that it's at to differentiate it from the 360 controllers. It did take me a bit to get used to. I still sometimes hit it when pressing jump, but I haven't spent as much time with it as I wish I have.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Yo, I got the power A wii u controller which has Xbox 360 layout but its smaller than the PS3. It's pretty good after u get used to it.

KyokiShinsa

Smash Rookie
NNID
KyokiShinsa
The real question is, what do people think about the HORI Battle Pad and the PDP Fight Pad?

The HORI looks like a traditional GameCube Controller and even goes as far as copying the color scheme for the buttons as well as placement for the AXBY buttons.

The PDP on the other hand looks like a newer more shiny-er/sleek and slimmer model of the "out-dated yet still one of the best controllers ever made -popular opinion-" GameCube Controller.

Personally, I love how the PDP controller looks like and I'm probably going to end up investing in a Samus PDP because I sure love that bounty hunter.

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
As someone who played the 3ds very heavily, i just got my wiiU last week and got a GC controller for melee nostalgia (havent had one since 2005). Though, now that i kinda like the layout, ive noticed the Pro controller has the same layout as the 3ds and im thinking of getting one because of it.

danzibr

Smash Cadet
I played on GCC from Melee to recently. I didn't get an adapter and so switched to Pro controller, and it was alright. Then I just got an adapter and, back on my GCC, I can say I much prefer the GCC, but I actually think the Pro controller is more optimal. I prefer GCC because, well, preference.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The shoulders on the Wii U Pro are objectively better for both responsive and timing.

The fact that the GCC is wired might at some arbitrary point give you a one frame advantage over a Wii U Pro (around 1/20 of your inputs if I remember correctly).

Apart from those 2 facts the only difference is the button layout. Which one do you prefer? I really like the Wii U Pro sticks, their height, placement , etc all seem better for Smash play compared to the GCC for me.

Top Bottom