• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Wii U Pro Controller or Gamecube Controller?

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
I'm torn between which one to use. Wii U pro controller is looking the most likely just now as I already have everything I need, If I wanted to use a gamecube controller i'd have to buy a usb extention for it plus i'm not even sure my gamecube controller still works!

I also have to consider which one would give me a competitive edge? That is probably the defining factor for me.

Farorae

Smash Ace
I'd think that the GameCube controller would give competitive edge, but honestly if I were you I would use whatever feels more comfortable for you. You are going to be playing the game for hours so comfort is very important.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Oh there is even the option of buying a fight pad which is like a gamecube controller but plugs into a wii remote, I remember that having a wii remote stuck to a classic controller was incredibly annoying as I often knocked the wii remote down onto the floor. So not much chance me opting for that one lol

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Just a reminder but lots of competitive Smashers do remove the springs from their GC controller. If you aren't trying to fiddle with that I personally think you should just go for Wii U Pro

Last edited:

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Personally I'm going for the Wii U Pro. I mean I like the GC controller, but I don't use it for Brawl, I use the Nunchuck (edited to be closer to the 3DS controls), and since I have gotten so used to the controls on the 3DS, it would be an easier and cheaper option to go for the Pro / Gamepad. Obviously it's up to you, but that's my reasoning :3

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I'm using the Wii U Pro because I'm so used to the 3ds now and the Pro is an amazing controller

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
The analogue stick on my GC controller sticks slightly to the right and I have no way of fixing it.
So I'm just gonna buy the Adapter Bundle along with the new Smash controller.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If the shields don't have pressure-sensitivity, then the GameCube Controller might not be the best option to use without altering its controls.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
No Wii U games will have pressure sensitive controls. The Wii U pro and wiimote accessories have digital triggers so the game only knows you pressed something, never how hard you pressed it. IIRC in Brawl, the first 3/4 of L/R presses were not recognized by the game.

Unless the Adapter induces some sort of lag, wired will give you the best competitive chance. There is also the possibility of wireless interference with wiimotes and maybe wii u pro as well.

Edit: Smash 4 has more control options than all the other Smash games combined. Perhaps a mod should create a thread dedicated solely to controller options and setups.

Last edited:

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Wiiu pro, i just bought mine,

+its wireless with 80 hrs of battery life
+to charge it you plug it into your pc using usb it comes with
+you can use the wiiupro on other games unlike gcc.
+i opened it up and held it in my big hands (im 6'5") the controller felt good.

Last edited:

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
The best controller is:
*url not allowed because I don't have 10 posts*
Go to Amazon and search for
HORI Battle Pad for Wii U

Use it with this adapter to make it wired:
Go to PlayAsia and search for
Classic Linker Plus

The shoulder buttons on normal Gamecube controllers are really deep and will take you longer to press. They also have one less button than the Hori controller, for what it's worth.

Vanusk

Smash Rookie
The best controller is:
Go to Amazon and search for
HORI Battle Pad for Wii U

Use it with this adapter to make it wired:
Go to PlayAsia and search for
Classic Linker Plus

The shoulder buttons on normal Gamecube controllers are really deep and will take you longer to press. They also have one less button than the Hori controller, for what it's worth.
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/1x4oo6/so_i_bought_a_classic_linker_plus/

According to this guy, "it has significant lag"

the8thark

Smash Lord
Edit: Smash 4 has more control options than all the other Smash games combined. Perhaps a mod should create a thread dedicated solely to controller options and setups.
A mod needs to do this. Explain each controller setup in detail (even the DK bongo drums rumoured to also work and the wavebird). As in how they are set up and what the pros and cons of each are.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I don't think you really need to detail how every gamecube accessory works.

We all know dance pads, microphones and guitars/drums etc. lack most of the buttons or even control sticks.

Vinzan

Smash Cadet
Barranquilla, Colombia (Now living in Bucaramanga)
NNID
Reztrepo
I`ve been wondering for a while about what controller should I use for Smash Brothers on the Wii U. I`m thinking about bought casual and competitive. I`ve never played with a Gamecube Controller in my life but everybody says that is the best way or the ultimate controller form (get it?), also because it is connected by a wire (That is supposed to make it more responsable, so with that the WaveBird is out).

On the other Hand :4miibrawl:, I have not played with a Wii U Pro Controller so I`m blind in both spots. I am buying one for having an extra controller and for other games, and for me it seems (or looks) more comfortable than the Cube one. Also, as a +1 for the Wii U Pro, it has the same button layout as the 3DS excepting for the R-Stick for Smash Attacks, and people say that the 3DS button layout plays perfect for smash, so being the Wii U Pro way more comfortable than a 3DS it should be the perfect controller Right? Another +1 for the Pro is that the Sticks are inside a perfect-circle rather than an octagon, which gives it more freedom when moving it in certain directions.

Either way, I`m still buying bought controllers + the adapters, for some friends of mine who would prefer the Gamecube Controller, but I would like you to give me some advice. Specially for competitive Smash. And PLEASE, no fanboy or nostalfag oppinions, just obtective and constructive.

Vinzan out

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I wanna try all controllers when the game comes out and make my decision then. But I do use the Classic Controller Pro for Project M and still wreck souls.

Also, Hori Pad or Wii Fight Pad? I'm wanting to get one.

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
Yeah, though Inazuma did mention a solution for that, and I'm pretty sure the Wii U Pro controller can plug into a system arbitrarily, though I have no idea if it will be like a PS3 pad and autosync upon doing so.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Yeah, though Inazuma did mention a solution for that, and I'm pretty sure the Wii U Pro controller can plug into a system arbitrarily, though I have no idea if it will be like a PS3 pad and autosync upon doing so.
I don't think so. The most you can do is hook it up via USB on the WiiU to charge it. it's still a purely wireless device in respect to using it as a controller.

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
I don't think so. The most you can do is hook it up via USB on the WiiU to charge it. it's still a purely wireless device in respect to using it as a controller.
Really? That sucks. On the bright side they are completely standardized, so each WiiU setup could just have a couple on hand for players who use them.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
Are Pro Controllers completely indestructible like GCN controllers are? I've had mine for around a decade and they still work just fine.

Top Bottom