• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U/Patch 1.0.4 Changes

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It's a subtle nerf that won't really change anything in the grand scheme of things. It's still an amazing move.

I hope someone else can find something else new... Hard to believe that's the only change.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
D Rush's damage output has been nerfed from 15% to 11% now. Knockback seems unchanged.
A sad but fair change to the move. At low to mid skill levels, dragon rush spamming is easier, more versatile, and safer then say... Yoshi egg roll spamming. While I haven't seen it personally, I can imagine how annoying it is in 4 player matches to have a Charizard dragon rushing back and forth across the stage constantly.

It is interesting that they're giving attention to the custom moves despite For Glory not allowing them. I wonder if they'll eventually allow customs (but no equipment) in anonymous online modes?

I compared 1.04 to 1.03 for Charizard and as far as I can tell Dragon Rush's small damage nerf was the only change. Same scenario KO% and damage was identical (except for Dragon Rush of course). I couldn't detect any changes to his wind up and lag, so if they did change animations the effect was so minor it probably won't even matter.

Last edited:

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Dragon Rush nerf is the only change to a character at the bottom of the tiers? I was hoping for some decent buffs, something to give him a stronger game in general. Ninty, you tryin' to make another Dee Jay?

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
Dragon Rush nerf is the only change to a character at the bottom of the tiers? I was hoping for some decent buffs, something to give him a stronger game in general. Ninty, you tryin' to make another Dee Jay?
I'd still maintain charizard is in the top 25 if not 20. Him and WFT were straight nerfed despite not being so good

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Damn, I would have liked the ability to tech after crashing into something with Flare Blitz :(

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
If you face a level 9 Zero Suit in training on Battlefield, the AI loves to sit under a platform and spam her stun shot and whip. I spent some time in 1.03 a little while ago specifically against this to see what I could get away with vs projectiles with dragon rush.

The most common results:
  • Started too late and got stunned
  • Rushing from a stand almost always clanked, even against the whip, once the spin was going
  • Short-hop Dragon Rush for some reason seemed more inclined to destroy the projectile without stopping or taking damage. Memory is fuzzy about the whip, but I want to say it would win if the tip got me before I hit Zero Suit.
I haven't noticed any difference in 1.04, but I'll definitely revise this if I can duplicate anything unusual.

This might be a good way to test Flare Blitz if someone can do 1.03 and 1.04 and has enough practice time with Blitz to know when something is different. I'm strictly dragon rush, so I wouldn't have a good eye for it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I have a hard time believing those numbers. Perhaps I accidentally stale everything or VI just makes things so much harder to kill, but good to have a list like that. I had no idea how powerful Usmash is. Does FD have a really low ceiling or what? I can't believe those vertical kill %.
Hard to believe but it is what I got :/

Unless you were me and always used Flare Blitz :)

Though I did consider using Dragon Rush.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Hard to believe but it is what I got :/
Did you use training mode? Doesn't that have a 1,05 multiplier on the moves?

Anyways after trying out these moves in some glory games I can pretty much believe anything except the uair. That thing barely killed at 80% when I was very near the top blastzone so I don't see how it can kill at like 90% on the ground.

Darthrai

Smash Cadet
Whoa, why is everyone complaining about the Dragon Rush nerf meaning a bottom-tier character is screwed over?

First of all, from what I can gather, Charizard was only classified as bottom tier previously due to his default moveset.

Secondly, Charizard is surprisingly decent, from what I've seen of high-level play of him. He probably wouldn't be near the bottom, he'd probably be closer to mid and better overall than low-tier characters in previous games.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
A fresh Flamethrower can reflect Dedede's Gordo back in the new update.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Just want to point out that it should be very obvious by now, to anyone who has used Charizard extensively, that the notion that Charizard is bottom or low tier, before or after the patch in question, is more than likely false.

Shog

Smash Ace
Just want to point out that it should be very obvious by now, to anyone who has used Charizard extensively, that the notion that Charizard is bottom or low tier, before or after the patch in question, is more than likely false.
I knew since Nair autocancel'd and Rock Smash had Super Armor that Charizard can't be that bad. Not that I care about tiers, just saying

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I really wish I agreed with you. Charizard will remain a lowtier in my opinion until I see an official tierlist.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
I really wish I agreed with you. Charizard will remain a lowtier in my opinion until I see an official tierlist.
Thankfully, even being low tier in smash 4 at this early in the metagame still means you can be a pretty solid character. Sheik's tilt combos were annoying at low %, but now that her F-air and Bouncing Fish got a nasty knockback nerf I feel like Charizard stands a good chance of taking back the fight thanks to rage and sheik having trouble getting a finishing blow.

Dragon Rush, even with less damage, is very comfortable for challenging characters like Zero Suit and Greninja. Diddy is also a problem, but Charizard at least has some good priority and spacing tools that can give Diddy a real headache. I need to see how Rock Smash holds up against the Diddy D-Throw -> U-Air combo since there is a window to act most of the time before the U-air can connect.

Honestly I'm more intimidated by the projectile heavy characters (particularly with charging projectiles being a big target) then most of the early opinion high tier characters. And most of them are considered mid-low along side zard. (Ness and Samus come to mind as being really obnoxious campers for zard to handle)

R!otStar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-2994-3529
The changes dont really bother me but a tough match up for me is a "good" megaman. His projectiles cant be fire blitzed past and metal blade keeps u stun long enough to get grabed :/

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Hard thing about Smash 4 is that everyone has something redeemable, except maybe Mii Swordsman and Olimar, though not as sure on Olimar.

Top Bottom