• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Wii U OST is kinda blasé

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
Am I the only one who feels this way? Every good new song except for a few (Dedede v2, Ballad of the Goddess, and most of Megaman) was on the 3ds, and music was being ported from Brawl for the sake of being ported from Brawl. Why would anybody think that Porky' Theme suited Onett at all? There are seven versions of the jungle level from Donkey Kong Country, another seven terrible non-Pacman Namco remixes, and too many remixes of Wii Sports themes. IMO the music of Smash is just as important as the stages, so this really rustles my jimmies.

(That being said, when Nintendo hit gold, they hit gold. Lumoise City, the Megaman 2 Medley, D3 V2, and Full Steam Ahead were great.)

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
The OST is weird, it has a lot of great songs, but some franchises has really gotten the short end of the stick. Kind of strange that Sega didn't get any of their composers on board to give Sonic some fresh remixes.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
The OST is weird, it has a lot of great songs, but some franchises has really gotten the short end of the stick. Kind of strange that Sega didn't get any of their composers on board to give Sonic some fresh remixes.
City Escape is in, that's all I need from Sega ;P

Vash_VisionZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vash_VisionZ
3DS FC
4596-9838-7829
I would have like to see Sonic get some remix love after the great Angel Island mix from Brawl (which fortunately made its way in this game too). But given the fact they gave me Knight of the Wind, the Rooftop Run remix, and City FREAKING Escape, I can forgive them partially.

Mega Man got some the best remixes in the game hands down. Air Man Stage, the 3 medleys, Cut Man Stage, are all godlike.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I was kind of dissapointed with this game's soundtrack too, a lot of the song choices were pretty underwhelming and some of the remixes just didn't work very well, for some reason almost all of the Pokémon remixes flopped. There are also too many of the same tracks, besides the travesty that is the amount of Jungle Level remixes there are also three versions of Mute City and VS Ridley for example, couldn't we just do with one for each and then keep some space for other songs?

There are a few great remixes though, The Great Cave Offensive and all of the Mega Man tracks are probably my favorites, but as a whole it's a lot less memorable than the Brawl soundtrack.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Nope, the Wii U version has a lot (A. LOT.) of great tracks that weren't present on Smash 3DS.

From memory only, some great remixes and medleys not preset in the 3DS:

Champion Cynthia / Battle! Champion Cynthia
Chill. Ver 2
Duck Hunt Medley
Super Mario World Medley
Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels Medley
Super Mario Bros. Medley
Xenoblade Medley
Fortress Boss Remix
Light Plane (Vocal Mix)
King Dedede's Theme Ver 2
Mega Man Retro Medley
Mega Man 3 Retro Medley
Mega Man 4~6 Retro Medley
Quick Man Stage
Cut Man Stage
Shadow Man Stage
Onett / Winters
On the Hunt (Luigi's Mansion)
Luigi's Mansion Series Medley
Minor Circuit
Metroid Title Remix
Outdoors at 7 P.M. / Main Street
Saria's Song / Boss Theme Medley
Style Savvy Trendsetters
The Valedictory Elegy
The Great Cafe Offensive
Rosalina's Comet Observatory / Luma's Theme
Two new Fire Emblem Medley/Remixes I forgot the titles
Yoshi's Island Remix

Non-remixes:

Bandit Valley
Battle! Champion Diantha
Floral Fields (Kirby Triple Deluxe)
Fated Battle (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Escape from the City
Garden of Hope
Rainbow Road (Mario Kart 8)
Stonecarving City (aka Ruins)
Reach for the Stars
Rooftop Run
Super Bell Hill
The Adventure Begins (Kirby Return to Dream Land)
The Devoted
The Grand Finale (aka In The Final)
Thunder Cloud Temple
Tons of amazing Xenoblade music
Though Enemy Alert!
Yuga Battle

That + various tracks I am forgetting + the whole 3DS soundtrack + returning Brawl tracks + returning Melee tracks = Outstanding soundtrack. Smash 4's soundtrack is not disappointing. It is fantastic and much better than any soundtrack in the series so far, but alas, this fandom will choose to complain about it. After all, that is what the Smash fandom does best: Complain!

Naoshi

Smash 4's soundtrack is not disappointing. It is fantastic and much better than any soundtrack in the series so far, but alas, this fandom will choose to complain about it. After all, that is what the Smash fandom does best: Complain!
There are plenty of legit complaints people have with the OST. People have the right to express their disappointments as much as people have the right to express their praise.

I find it kind of insulting you brush off pretty much any complaints with "fandom amirite folks?"

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
They cut Mona Pizza's Song.
I wanted Mona Pizza's Song as much as a wanted Takamaru.
All they needed was to port the Brawl versions. Why did they cut Mona Pizza's Song? D:

Loken

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6858-0816-0777
A lot of the new songs are just lifted straight from the original games too. Not interesting remakes that fit the pace of Smash Bros.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Even though I do love they remixed the Rogueport theme....Paper Mario music is far more potential (I'm trying to get why m&l got more songs actually because the final battle of m&l is decent...but Paper Mario kinda deserved its own too...)

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I will say that the soundtrack is fantastic (still haven't unlocked all of it even), but like everything else in life, there are nitpicks.

It's the same problem with the stages I feel. The new stuff is great, but when there's so much being ported from previous titles it becomes rather distracting. Plus, as a couple of you have already pointed out, some franchises didn't get as much love as others.

Like, why are there half a dozen versions of DKC's Jungle Hijinx? Did Mario really need both the original and remixed versions of multiple Galaxy songs? And why does Pikmin still has mostly map/title themes?

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I'm not terribly disappointed with it because I was kinda skeptical through the whole pre-release period. I mean yeah, 437 songs but how many of those are from Brawl and the 3DS version?

That being said, the new remixes we actually got were very good, even if a lot of them were remixed in previous games. Hopefully we get some music DLC some time, but at the very least we could probably get some new tracks with DLC stages (even if they're returning too, because stages like Yoshi's Island got brand new tracks in this game).

Naoshi

I think the fact there's less new stages in SSB4 than there is for Brawl is part of what kind of hurts it. New stages typically has a lot of newer songs than returning stages do (in fact most returning stages don't). There's less opportunity for new songs. Mother and F-Zero especially suffers this since their only stages are returning ones, so they have very few new remixes (of which mostly came from the 3DS version anyways). In contrast to Brawl, both franchises had plentiful amounts of new remixes.

I just wish Wario, Pikmin, Sonic and a few other franchises didn't get the short end of the stick. Not to mention Pokemon's new remixes (outside of a few like N's Castle) were pretty disappointing. Can't say I was a huge fan of Cynthia's battle remix, something about it feels very off.

With that said, I'm glad a good chunk of the new songs are still great. I'm currently listening to the SMW Fortress Boss remix, it's so brilliant. Light Plane is a very great remix too, I love the Vocal Mix a lot, and some parts of the song gave me some Sega Dreamcast era vibes!

Raijinken

Smash Master
My only real issue with it is that most past stages didn't get any new remixes attached to them. I loved all the Brawl music, too, but I kinda wish, say, Castle Siege had been given a few of the new FE songs.

the8thark

Smash Lord
A lot of the new songs are just lifted straight from the original games too. Not interesting remakes that fit the pace of Smash Bros.
For me the tracks straight lifted from the original games are so much better than most of the remixes. It's these original tracks that make Smash 4 bearable for me. Without them I'd be forced to have the remixes on all of the stages. And I personally think most of the remixes are terrible.

Folt

Smash Ace
I must admit: The Wii U soundtrack would probably be worse than the 3DS one if most of the most 3DS songs + a good deal of the other Brawl/Melee songs + songs ripped from the other games wasn't in the Wii U version.

There's also some original songs on the 3DS that appear on Wii U where I prefer listening to them on the 3DS, even if the quality is supposed to be worse(?).

KatKit

Smash Lord
The game has Style Savvy songs, for goodness sake. I'm more than satisfied.

But yeah, I think there are a lot of great tracks overall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom