• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Wii U is hackable - Will there be mods again?

Do you want a new Project M-kinda thing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobojack

Smash Apprentice

Is this the beginning of a Project M 2.0 kinda thing? What are your thoughts on this?

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
YES! I WAS PLANNING ON MAKING MACHINIMA AND I REALLY NEED THOSE CAMERA HACKS AND EVERYTHING! OH MY GOSH THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If they make a Project M 2 I hope they wait a couple years before they do it.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I honestly don't want a hack for this game... people need to get over Melee and accept that it was the past.

D

Deleted member

It was bound to happen eventually, I saw it coming.

As for wanting another Project M...I couldn't care less.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Do not single out Project M!

Do you know that mods allowed for other total gameplay coversions, like the hilarious BRAWL MINUS and that one mod by amazing ampharos, or for new costumes or custom music or custom stages?
Project M is excellent but it's not the only thing that defines Brawl hacking!
In my opinion the question isn't "do you want another Project M", but rather "do you want mods for this game?" which should be a no-brainer, yes we do!

But but of course mods allowed those EVIL stuck-in-the-past tourneytards to create the abomination, the insult to Sakurai's vision that is Project M instead of moving forward and only play the newest game!! game mods are eeeeevil!

I hope nobody really thinks like that.

I am satisfied with the current Project M, but if the new game ends like the glitch fest that was Brawl with no hitstun, random input lag, the Recovery carryover lag glitch, grab release crap and characters flopping defenselessly like a fish (jab lock) I want that **** hacked away asap.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not really looking forward to Project M 2.0 as I'm plenty satisfied with the current one, but other hacks - like costumes, new characters and all that.

Do not single out Project M!

Do you know that mods allowed for other total gameplay coversions, like the hilarious BRAWL MINUS and that one mod by amazing ampharos, or for new costumes or custom music or custom stages?
Project M is excellent but it's not the only thing that defines Brawl hacking!
In my opinion the question isn't "do you want another Project M", but rather "do you want mods for this game?" which should be a no-brainer, yes we do!

But but of course mods allowed those EVIL stuck-in-the-past tourneytards to create the abomination, the insult to Sakurai's vision that is Project M instead of moving forward and only play the newest game!! game mods are eeeeevil!

I hope nobody really thinks like that.

I am satisfied with the current Project M, but if the new game ends like the glitch fest that was Brawl with no hitstun, random input lag, the Recovery carryover lag glitch, grab release crap and characters flopping defenselessly like a fish (jab lock) I want that **** hacked away asap.
Let's not steer the thread in that direction now.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, it's going to take a long time before we can begin getting quality hacks out of it. There are new file types to get familiar with, people need to make programs that support these file types from scratch again, and in turn people gotta get familiar with those programs, and then the program will also need to be consistently updated in order to allow for more customization. It took many years before Brawl hacking became of the quality it is today. I'm not going to bother too much with it this time.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Ew, no! Please, Nintendo, take all necessary measures to ensure Smash4 stays Smash4 forever! Make piracy blocks harder to bypass, brick the consoles of hackers, do anything to avoid repeating history!

PD: I LOVE Project M, I just don't think Smash4 needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of course the first thing that comes to people's minds is hacking a game that is currently unfinished to resemble Melee...

Project M =/= Brawl Hacks

There are other types of hacks people. I answered the above question based on mods as a whole.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Looking forward to see what come from this, but people should really take this with a grain of salt. I mean, you probably won't see anything substantial from Wii U hacking for at least another year or two. Smash 4 will get it's time to be a new game and develop a scene, and even if some PM type mod were made for it, people think Smash 4 is shaping up to be it's own thing anyway, and more satisfying than Brawl competitively.

And even if the Wii U gets hacked, making any serious modifications to Smash 4 will be a long time worth of research in it's own right. And making a complete overhaul of the game will take an even longer time (Project M has had like, over 4 years in development, and it still is incomplete, with not all of it's content in place, and it still has a fair share of bugs, like the Smash 4 demo at E3 did).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ew, no! Please, Nintendo, take all necessary measures to ensure Smash4 stays Smash4 forever! Make piracy blocks harder to bypass, brick the consoles of hackers, do anything to avoid repeating history!
Hacking the Wii pretty much voids the warranty, so the same can easily apply to the Wii U as well. And since the Wii U's game data can't be copied, you'd be screwed if the Wii U is beyond repair, all because you hacked it.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
I find the idea of a Project M for Wii U utterly detestable. The original already exists; to do the same for Smash 4 to get the same result with only a few new added things is no more than a display of 'you didn't do what we wanted again so we'll corrupt your new thing to suit us too! Hah!' There is no good reason for it.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
I find the idea of a Project M for Wii U utterly detestable. The original already exists; to do the same for Smash 4 to get the same result with only a few new added things is no more than a display of 'you didn't do what we wanted again so we'll corrupt your new thing to suit us too! Hah!' There is no good reason for it.
...except there IS good reason for it if Smash 4 ends up being too close to Brawl in terms of physics to the point where it isn't competitive anymore.,

Project M took the characters in Brawl and essentially made it what the entire competitive scene wanted Brawl to be. And guess what? It's still fun for casuals too! So yeah, if Smash 4 plays terribly (which I don't anticipate it being that way, but lots can happen between the demos and release), I would love to see a Project M 2.0.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...except there IS good reason for it if Smash 4 ends up being too close to Brawl in terms of physics to the point where it isn't competitive anymore.,

Project M took the characters in Brawl and essentially made it what the entire competitive scene wanted Brawl to be. And guess what? It's still fun for casuals too! So yeah, if Smash 4 plays terribly (which I don't anticipate it being that way, but lots can happen between the demos and release), I would love to see a Project M 2.0.
Have to disagree with that "still fun for casuals" part, to some extent. Not that it's terrible for that purpose, but it's not as good as vanilla Brawl. The stage list in Project M is a repetitive snoozefest for casual play (even going as far as making some really fun Brawl stages, like WarioWare, super boring), and for some strange reason, they don't let you pick up items while dashing, which feels really counter-intuitive for casuals (and keeping the feature would not have effected competitive play - it's literally only removed to make that aspect of the game more like Melee, for the sake of it, rather than being of benefit to anyone).

And while Turbo Mode is awesome, it comes across as more of a "fun for advanced players who want something crazier" kind of thing, rather than being fun for casuals, since you need to be very good at the game to really see the effect of Turbo Mode.

And in it's current state, PM removes some rather fun single-player modes like SSE, that also have co-op play.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I just want a mod for putting in music.
Even if it was feasible to make another project m at this early point, project m is still new and exciting.
No, the game doesn't deserved to be trashed like that!
I agree, project m shouldn't just be cast aside after all the work that went into it, especially with the new all star versus mode coming out, Its too soon to abandon it for another game. Especially when they seem to be able to keep adding stuff and tweaking things to keep it up to date.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Have to disagree with that "still fun for casuals" part, to some extent. Not that it's terrible for that purpose, but it's not as good as vanilla Brawl. The stage list in Project M is a repetitive snoozefest for casual play (even going as far as making some really fun Brawl stages, like WarioWare, super boring), and for some strange reason, they don't let you pick up items while dashing, which feels really counter-intuitive for casuals (and keeping the feature would not have effected competitive play - it's literally only removed to make that aspect of the game more like Melee, for the sake of it, rather than being of benefit to anyone).

And while Turbo Mode is awesome, it comes across as more of a "fun for advanced players who want something crazier" kind of thing, rather than being fun for casuals, since you need to be very good at the game to really see the effect of Turbo Mode.

And in it's current state, PM removes some rather fun single-player modes like SSE, that also have co-op play.
This. I never got why they made grabbing items on PM such a chore, it's extremely hard (Or not possible?) to grab items when they're flying through the air, and you can't dash-grab items, which honestly feels REALLY stupid, if you can grab PEOPLE while running, why not items? Also, bringing back Saffron City without anything of what made Saffron City...well...Saffron City, they should replace that crap with the balanced Spear Pillar mod, which actually has great aesthetics and it's actually a memorable location from the Pokemon series

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd settle for a hack that just balances the characters better than what we're inevitably going to get.

Doesn't have to be super competitive regarding stages, but I don't see what's evil about trying to make every character viable rather than just five of a roster of around fifty.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I just want music mods and costume mods.

And please don't turn this into singling out Project M or the possibility of another one. Besides, the PM people have been working on that for YEARS.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I'll gladly take a new project m i don't like the wiiu being hacked i don't wanna deal with cheaters in mk8. But I love project m brawl minus and even brawl+. I don't have any faith in sakurai.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pfh, no matter what they do people are going to find a way around it, any system is hackable and there are people persistent enough to find every single way to do it. Wii updates would often try and kill hacking by making certain IOS brick the console, and even going as far as killing the Twilight Hack, but people always found new ways around it.

There's nothing Nintendo can do to keep people away from it, it's a waste of time doing so. Even then it's nothing terrible for such a thing to exist anyways, you can just ignore it like I intend to do, at least until it becomes of acceptable quality.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'd settle for a hack that just balances the characters better than what we're inevitably going to get.

Doesn't have to be super competitive regarding stages, but I don't see what's evil about trying to make every character viable rather than just five of a roster of around fifty.
Eh, since the focus on this game has been around balance from the start and Namco Bandai's working on it...I don't see where everyone's getting this thought that we're not going to get a balanced game.
Pfh, no matter what they do people are going to find a way around it, any system is hackable and there are people persistent enough to find every single way to do it. Wii updates would often try and kill hacking by making certain IOS brick the console, and even going as far as killing the Twilight Hack, but people always found new ways around it.

There's nothing Nintendo can do to keep people away from it, it's a waste of time doing so. Even then it's nothing terrible for such a thing to exist anyways, you can just ignore it like I intend to do, at least until it becomes of acceptable quality.
I don't want Smash4 to be desecrated, that's all.

D

Deleted member

I just want music mods and costume mods.

And please don't turn this into singling out Project M or the possibility of another one. Besides, the PM people have been working on that for YEARS.
To add to this, didn't the PMBR say that they had no interest in making another one for Smash 4?

But yeah, texture hacks and music mods. If Ness's victory theme sucks again, I can just use the 8 Melodies one.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eh, since the focus on this game has been around balance from the start and Namco Bandai's working on it...I don't see where everyone's getting this thought that we're not going to get a balanced game.

I don't want Smash4 to be desecrated, that's all.
Sakurai's balancing philosophy, aka trying to balance both between FFA and 1v1, means that the game will inevitably have balance issues, it's just a flat out flawed way of doing it and explains the terrible balance of the series (Ganondorf and Meta Knight in Brawl being prime examples.) They should simply focus on 1v1s, there are too many things that factor into FFAs to balance anything around it, and even then it's never played seriously, it's just for fun. That and he has said that a perfectly balanced game isn't fun (how it isn't I dunno), so expect Sakurai to inject his bias into the game in that way too (Kirby and Pit were both two of the best characters in the demo too.)

And I wouldn't really consider Smash 4 to be some kind of holy deity, it's not going to be perfect at all anyways.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
???
What is wrong with people working to make the game more pleasing to themselves? Sakurai can't please everyone, why not let people customize their experience to suit their needs?
Also, I thought you like Project M?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Music and costume hacks just makes things even more enjoyable than they already are for me. Don't really care for gameplay mods because well...I wouldn't be playing Smash 4 anymore and if I'm just dying to play something specifically made for competition, Project M is still around soooo...Every little thing gonna be alright :shades:

For the sake of the community have less things to argue about, I'd rather not see another Project M 2.0 and just settle with what the PMBR is currently giving to us. That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sakurai's balancing philosophy, aka trying to balance both between FFA and 1v1, means that the game will inevitably have balance issues, it's just a flat out flawed way of doing it and explains the terrible balance of the series (Ganondorf and Meta Knight in Brawl being prime examples.) They should simply focus on 1v1s, there are too many things that factor into FFAs to balance anything around it, and even then it's never played seriously, it's just for fun. That and he has said that a perfectly balanced game isn't fun (how it isn't I dunno), so expect Sakurai to inject his bias into the game in that way too (Kirby and Pit were both two of the best characters in the demo too.)

And I wouldn't really consider Smash 4 to be some kind of holy deity, it's not going to be perfect at all anyways.
Never mind that Sakurai has done most of the balancing himself in the past games instead of a dedicated team for it.

A perfectly balanced game would indeed be boring. That would mean that everyone plays the same with the same exact stats.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Because this is what the Wii U really needs during it's time of financial struggle[/sarcasm]
Actually, if all that's possible for a while is modding legal copies of games, rather than pirating them altogether...it'd actually be a selling point for the system.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think I speak for most when I say this. We don't hate Project M. We would just not want to see retreading on old territory when the game is still in its infancy.

Mr_Anderson

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't really want a new Project M, as the original will serve itself just fine. However, there will definitely be mods for Smash 4, and I'm perfectly OK with that. Costumes etc. is fine by me.

However, one thing that I would enjoy is not a total overhaul of the game, but rather just adding back in some cut characters from Brawl, like Snake and Ivysaur. I'd maybe be OK with fixing some minor gameplay issues like the aerial landing lag, but that's about as far as I'd want the mod to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom