• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii u has input lag that doesnt exist on 3ds

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
so i play on 3ds alot. and i mean, a LOT. So when i go to play on the wii u, i notice some input lag that is nonexistant on the 3ds. ive tried explaining this to my cousin but he's more of a casual, (one of those spammy campy annoying types that when you complain about their play-style they brush it off with being an asshole.) So all im asking is, does anyone else experience this? Is there a way to lessen this input lag? Its really not fun playing on the wii u when im so used to the 3ds (which is much more responsive.)

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Are you playing online? Do you use any wireless controllers?

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
I use the wirless controller yeah, but the lag is there even offline. and how could my tv be the problem? Its a pretty modern tv and its plugged into HDMI. its like a 50 inch flatscreen.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Wireless controllers do not have direct connection to the system like corded controllers and rely on a signal, which takes longer for the system to recieve, hence the slight lag.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Well yeah i can see that, but i remember watching a youtube video that addressed this issue as well. they said that wireless vs wired controllers had the same lag. Which is why i didn't think that to be a big deal. heres one. https://youtu.be/7DVyhLO146I

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Interesting. Well, hopefully the lag isn't bothering you TOO much.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
It is. which is why i made the post to see if there was anything i could try to lessen it.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Offline, you have some options:

1. Play on an old CRT (tube TV.) This will eliminate all offline lag. If you want proof, turn up the sound on your Gamepad. It will be perfectly in sync with the music coming out of a CRT.

2. If you absolutely cannot acquire the means to play on a CRT, then look for options on your TV to enable game mode. If you cannot find that option, there may be other effects you can disable to help reduce the lag. Just know that no modern TV will ever be as good as a CRT in terms of input lag; again, you can test the sound differences from your Gamepad for proof of this.

Online, your options are limited:

1. Only play in friend rooms. I refuse to play in random rooms because the input lag is unbearable, due to this game's insistence on pairing players internationally, which is absolutely not viable for a fighting game.

2. Acquire the means to wire your console online, instead of using wireless, though you are still at the mercy of your opponents' connections.

YMMV.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Looks like you're stuck with 3DS. Make sure your internet has been restarted just for good measures and try again.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
im only talking about offline. but seriously. i want to actually know if anyone else here experiences this. or am i just a ****** that blames lag?

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
im only talking about offline. but seriously. i want to actually know if anyone else here experiences this. or am i just a ****** that blames lag?
It's already been said already but it may also be your TV. Not all TV's are the same even ironically they may look like it. Some may have post processing effects which enhance the image on your screen which adds to the delay of frames and can severely effect gameplay (especially in these kind of fighting games.)

Hence why some TV's have a 'game' mode feature which intends to disable these extra effects so your inputs are not delayed.

Then again, not all TV's are the same.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Thanks for the input everyone. ill try these things and come back here later to give yall my feedback.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
Just here to say check the TV. There are some TV settings that can cause a lot of lag for a video game. If you want to double check to make sure it's not just in your head and you are imagining the lag try using the gamepad for a couple matches and see if there is a difference. Maybe go back and forth between gamepad and controller to compare. Even if the controller is wireless that's unlikely the issue and it is much more likely the TV settings.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
check to see if your tv is on the input lag database (http://www.displaylag.com)

They usually test with as favorable settings as possible, so games modes are on and any extra processing that can be disabled is off.

Most of the time, the larger the TV, the worse it will be. only a handful of 50 inch TVs have 2 or less frames of input delay.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Could be your TV.

While wireless on your controller should be close if not on par with wired is some cases, interference from other devices can actually ruin this. Do you have anything else running wirelessly?

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Other wireless devices, TV remote, thats it really. Oh and the router is also in the same room.

Last edited:

mousethephoenix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmmmouse
3DS FC
4184-2113-6491
I mainly go on the 3ds, too, and have recently been playing smash on my gf's wiiu. haven't noticed any lag, so either im dumb or it isnt a widely spread problem. good luck on that, tho, it sounds like a *****.

DarkKai

Smash Rookie
With a modern 50 inch monitor it is most likely display lag. Most 50 inch monitors have more than 2ms response time

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Thanks everyone it was display lag. Game mode seems to turn itself off whenever the tv turns off so thanks for the help everyone!

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
My Wii U also feels more delayed than my 3DS. But it is most likely due to my HDTV having display lag.

Top Bottom