• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U Fight Pad Controller, or GC Controller w/ adaptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonkeyStrong

Smash Cadet
is there a lag difference between the Wii U fight pad & standard GC /w adaptor? what's the community preference?

=========================================================================================

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Fight Pad. Cooler design, less hassle, improved controls, backwards compatible for classic controller games.

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
Gamecube + Adapter... because it's annoying to have a Wiimote connected to your controller.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
That gamepad looks clunky as hell

D

Deleted member 245254

Gamecube + Adapter... because it's annoying to have a Wiimote connected to your controller.
I don't see the huge difference from having a wire, connected to a device that's like just as a big as a wii mote, that takes up both of your Wii U's USB slots.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I don't see the huge difference from having a wire, connected to a device that's like just as a big as a wii mote, that takes up both of your Wii U's USB slots.
There's not a big difference and it is workable, but I could never decide on the best place to put my Wiimote when using the classic controller and got irritated by it at times. Only having to deal with a cord, rather than a cord and Wiimote, is preferable for me. :p That said, I had a third party classic controller with a short cord (not sure if the official variety had longer cords or not). If the cord was as long as that of a GC controller it probably wouldn't have bothered me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

There's not a big difference and it is workable, but I could never decide on the best place to put my Wiimote when using the classic controller and got irritated by it at times. Only having to deal with a cord, rather than a cord and Wiimote, is preferable for me. :p That said, I had a third party classic controller with a short cord (not sure if the official variety had longer cords or not). If the cord was as long as that of a GC controller it probably wouldn't have bothered me.
It's a pretty easy choice for me. Regular GC controller if tournaments or "gettin' real", fight pad if playing friendlies or kickin' it at home, so both.

For the record, I just stick it between my legs or off to the side.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
GC Adapter because it works out cheaper for me and I prefer not having the Wii Remote being attached anyway.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Gamecube. Generic non-character-specific design. Of course, if they make a Fire Emblem based one, I'll no longer care about that.
More realistically, GCN because I'll only need one adapter and suddenly have access to all of mine (and my friends') controllers, we don't have to buy new ones. If the fight pad turns out to be an acceptable alternative, might get one when the Gamecube controller's finally run out of Nintendium and break.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Is the Fightpad even made by Nintendo? I'm pretty sure it isn't haha, and I'd rather get something with almost 14 years of acclaim after being skeptical about the other controller's origins

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
The adapter because
1.Wired > Wireless
2.1st party controller
3.1 = 4 ports
The adapter is wired, The fight pad is wireless.
There both first party right?
With the fight pad all you do is buy it and connect it to a wii-remote, So it's the same thing.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
The adapter is wired, The fight pad is wireless.
There both first party right?
With the fight pad all you do is buy it and connect it to a wii-remote, So it's the same thing.
Nintendo is endorsing the fight pad but a third party is making where with the adapter you can use official GCN controllers. And connecting anything to a wii mote is still wireless because last I checked the wii remote isn't wired to the console where the adapters are wired to the system.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Nintendo is endorsing the fight pad but a third party is making where with the adapter you can use official GCN controllers. And connecting anything to a wii mote is still wireless because last I checked the wii remote isn't wired to the console where the adapters are wired to the system.
Okay, So why do you prefer the adapter?

Khao

Smash Lord
One of them hooks up to a controller, leaving it useless. If you don't have many controllers, that's a big ****ing deal, as you'd be buying an extra controller without raising the number of players.

I don't really care about input lag, I don't play at tournaments and I've noticed absolutely no problems with my classic controller pro, so it's not about that. What I do care about is that a single player needs to be hogging two controlers at the same time for that thing to work.

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
You still have to worry about running low on batteries in a tournament w/ rechargables. Unless you can recharge it using a wire to the Wii U.

Last edited:

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
I'm going with the Nintendo Fight Pad because of the L,R. ZR, and ZL buttons. This gives me one more button to use when setting up my controller.

Plus, I love Yoshi, so Yoshi Fight Pad FTW.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Not for games that don't support or only have limited support for the CC.
Everything that supports the GCN also supports the CC Controller my friend. GCN offers nothing more over the Fight Pad.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I've never used a Game Cube controller (don't hate me please), but when I get my Wii U I'm going to get the GC controller/adapter & Wii U Pro controller to see which one I like more.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Everything that supports the GCN also supports the CC Controller my friend. GCN offers nothing more over the Fight Pad.
You'll be eating your words when GameCube games are released for the VC that require analog shoulder buttons. Like Melee.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
You'll be eating your words when GameCube games are released for the VC that require analog shoulder buttons. Like Melee.
Nintendo probably won't implement that feature for compatibility with other controllers.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Does the Gamecube Adapter even work in Wii Mode? Not sure why people assume it will.

At least we KNOW the Fight Pad does, since it is a Classic Controller.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Nintendo probably won't implement that feature for compatibility with other controllers.
Hoo boy, the fandom won't be happy with that...

Does the Gamecube Adapter even work in Wii Mode? Not sure why people assume it will.

At least we KNOW the Fight Pad does, since it is a Classic Controller.
I don't see why it wouldn't. I mean, a lot of Wii games used GC controllers.

There's also the fact that I don't want to buy and keep track of eight more expensive controllers for just four players.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The Fight Pad is rather fugly but I like that it's compatible with more stuff. But tbh I'm all about
that bass bout that bass no treble
the gamecube, probably. Which is odd since I spent years moaning about how humans need to move past it and that the classic controller was better etc. But it turns out it's totes not

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
Why can't Nintendo just make a simple controller that everyone likes for smash, that is cheap, effective, and is legal for tournament use? Wouldn't that make everything easier?

I don't have either, because I cannot figure out which is better when taking into mind how fast it reacts, the control scheme, and the price, so I am currently using the Wii U Pro controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom