• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii sound problem

Fawriel

Smash Master
I didn't search too extensively, but this problem is so obscure I doubt it would come up in the first place.

The issue is this:
My Wii's sound is distorted. Think of what sound tends to be like if you turn it up all the way until the high tones get all scratchy. Except this doesn't just sound like the volume is too high, it apparently is. I don't quite understand how that works, but that's what evidence suggests.

Here's the background:
I've been running my Wii on my computer ever since I got it, since I don't own a TV. I did this by plugging the Video cable into a TV card inserted into the PC. The two sound cables were plugged into a cable that combines both into one cable, which is then plugged into the sound card. (Sorry, I'm not well-versed in the proper terminology.)
That had been working perfectly fine for me until I returned from my vacations.
When I went to visit the rest of the family in the city I used to live in, I took my Wii with me so I could play with my father. I realized later that I had borrowed my Scart-adapter to someone, so it seemed like we wouldn't be able to play, but then we bought a new adapter and managed to do so after all.
Once I came back home and plugged it into my computer again, it started sounding like this. I can say pretty certainly that it's related to the Wii's own volume - the sound coming from it is considerably louder than anything else my computer produces, and when I regulate the volume on my speakers, there's a thin line between deafeningly loud and no sound whatsoever.

I have no idea if this is plausible, but apparently the Wii adapted to the TV I attached it to, and because it doesn't "recognize" the sound card, it fails to tone back down? ... well, SOMETHING happened, that's for sure.

So, what do I do now?

Gryphon

Smash Journeyman
I didn't search too extensively, but this problem is so obscure I doubt it would come up in the first place.

The issue is this:
My Wii's sound is distorted. Think of what sound tends to be like if you turn it up all the way until the high tones get all scratchy. Except this doesn't just sound like the volume is too high, it apparently is. I don't quite understand how that works, but that's what evidence suggests.

Here's the background:
I've been running my Wii on my computer ever since I got it, since I don't own a TV. I did this by plugging the Video cable into a TV card inserted into the PC. The two sound cables were plugged into a cable that combines both into one cable, which is then plugged into the sound card. (Sorry, I'm not well-versed in the proper terminology.)
That had been working perfectly fine for me until I returned from my vacations.
When I went to visit the rest of the family in the city I used to live in, I took my Wii with me so I could play with my father. I realized later that I had borrowed my Scart-adapter to someone, so it seemed like we wouldn't be able to play, but then we bought a new adapter and managed to do so after all.
Once I came back home and plugged it into my computer again, it started sounding like this. I can say pretty certainly that it's related to the Wii's own volume - the sound coming from it is considerably louder than anything else my computer produces, and when I regulate the volume on my speakers, there's a thin line between deafeningly loud and no sound whatsoever.

I have no idea if this is plausible, but apparently the Wii adapted to the TV I attached it to, and because it doesn't "recognize" the sound card, it fails to tone back down? ... well, SOMETHING happened, that's for sure.

So, what do I do now?
Zut, mon ami. Tres mal. Desole

Sensai

Smash Master
Hahaha.

I dunno, honestly. What I would try to do is to put all my save data on an SD card and simply reformat the machine. I know this is a pretty serious answer and I suggest you only do it if you're absolutely sure it should be done (or stumped about any other possible solution).

GL, mate.

Top Bottom