• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Lan Adapter questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kciD

Smash Journeyman
1) Does it matter that I actually use a Nintendo brand Wii lan adapter? There are all kinds of USB 2.0 to ethernet adapters, and some may be cheaper.

2) If I can use any brand, do you think it would make a difference if I were to get a gigabit lan adapter? The Wii lan adapters are only 10/100 mbps, but I e-bay searched and they make 10/100/1000 mbps adapters. If it's worth it, I'll buy one of those and a Cat6 cable.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Just for the future, there's a Q&A thread you can use for any questions you have about anything online-related, but I'll do my best to answer you now :)

1) Does it matter that I actually use a Nintendo brand Wii lan adapter? There are all kinds of USB 2.0 to ethernet adapters, and some may be cheaper.
No, it doesn't really matter, you'd just be paying for the brand name. I'd go with a non-Nintendo one and save the money.

2) If I can use any brand, do you think it would make a difference if I were to get a gigabit lan adapter? The Wii lan adapters are only 10/100 mbps, but I e-bay searched and they make 10/100/1000 mbps adapters. If it's worth it, I'll buy one of those and a Cat6 cable.
Well... I wouldn't spend too much extra money on it if I were you. WiFi will always have some input lag, no matter what high tech doohickey you buy. Plus it depends on a lot of things other than just your cable, so you'll still get bad lag with someone who's far away or has bad connection themselves, etc...

I wouldn't buy anything special myself, just any USB ethernet adapter is fine and will make a big difference from a wireless connection.

:034:

kciD

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. I'll keep my questions in the right spot next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom