• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Disk Drive Won't Spin

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
As the title says, for every game, my Wii Disk Drive won't spin. The Wii says that the Game Disc could not be read whenever I insert any Wii or Gamecube Disk.

I currently don't have an extra 80$ to get my Wii fixed. Is there anything I can do to try to fix my Wii before I send it in? (Disk Clensers, Give the Wii rest, etc.)

[DETAILS]
I first experienced this problem when I was logged online on Animal Crossing: City Folk for the first time. The Wii Disk Drive tried to make my disk spin, but it made a strange noise. I gave it a days rest and now the Wii won't even attempt to spin any of my disks. I have also tried blowing into the Wii's disk drive because I heard that the problem may be that the inside is dirty.

I HAVE called Nintendo Support, but they didn't help me the way I wanted. (They want me to send in my Wii for 80$ in repairs.) Right now, my Wii is currently "Off", not "Standby Mode." All the other functions including Internet, Channels, and Virtual Console games also work fine.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yup, sounds broken, lol.

Not much you can do when the hardware is broken. It's not like I can tell you to run down to RadioShack and pick up a new Wii Opical Drive. And even if you could, you wouldn't be able to install it!

So, if whapping doesn't work, then you're stuck with sending it in.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Seriously. Beat it up. If that doesn't work, and you end up breakin' it more-- you were gonna send it away anyway, amirite?

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Well I waited like another day and my Wii is trying to spin the disc now. But its still making noise, a bad noise. It trys a bit then stops spinning.

Also, has anyone had a similar problem???

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Kind of, but it only happened with Brawl and kind of affected other games as well, for example in GH the notes would be off, but all you would have to do is pause and un-pause.

I sent it in and they apparently replaced the disk drive. However, your problem sounds different then mine in the fact that it doesn't read any disk at all. I'd say send it in or try finding an excuse to send it in for free, since Ninty fixes it for free if Brawl isn't able to be read.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
My Wii reads Brawl like every other 4 times. But it reads other disks fine.

And my copy of Brawl works on other people's Wiis. Just not mine, for some reason. So I'm not quite sure what the problem is with mine either.

saggy_brown

Smash Cadet
This actually happened with my Gamecube. Making the noises and everything. Wouldn't work for a month. The I opened up one day and noticed under the disck spinner there were these little fibers tangled underneath, and after a couple hours a picked them out and it worked. Don't really know how you would check that on a wii though =(

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Exact thing happen to me ... four months ago ... You have to send it in man ...

That or buying a whole 'nother Wii for $250

but I dont think you wanna do that...

dont you have a warranty?

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
this happens to alot of wii's,every wii has a disc that it dose'nt like,and cant load it,makes a sound like it is chewing the dsic etc. my wii has this it plays all games perfect except brawl.

Ange

Smash Lord
Seems like Brawl and Wii is a ****ed up combo. :/

This has aswell happened to me before. I cant remember how it sounded, but when I put in my Brawl disc and turned the Wii on, it.. apparently tried to spin the disc, made a strange noice, repeated about 5-9 times before saying "Disc couldnt be read etc, etc..." on the TV.

Im actually afraid you have to hand it in anyway. Seems like a problem we cant fix for the moment.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I have the same problem as Stroupes and sometimes when Brawl does work, it takes longer then usual to load and randomly pops up with error screens.

Handing it in seems the only solution.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Seems like Brawl and Wii is a ****ed up combo. :/

This has aswell happened to me before. I cant remember how it sounded, but when I put in my Brawl disc and turned the Wii on, it.. apparently tried to spin the disc, made a strange noice, repeated about 5-9 times before saying "Disc couldnt be read etc, etc..." on the TV.

Im actually afraid you have to hand it in anyway. Seems like a problem we cant fix for the moment.
Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

My Wii began doing this last week, and I searched Google and found this topic among others.

Infract me if you must, but I want an answer.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why would I infract you? This is the right place to ask this question!

The original problem was quite likely from the disk falling out of place while spinning inside of the Wii. This could have been caused by you turning it on its side, a strong bump, or just bad luck. :( Check the disk for scratches.

In any case, it's a hardware problem. Which means that there's nothing I can tell you to do that will really fix it.

Though if I were you I'd try playing the console on itsside, upside down, etc... and see if any of those help.

D4RK M4$T3R

Smash Rookie
Mine does not work either. I was playing Black Ops Zombies for the billionth time then it said error. Tried again and error. Tried again, won't spin. Beat it up, won't spin. It made loud noises for a year too. Won't work for any other game either. No warranty left what do I do? It did this before and I beat it up and it made loud noises but worked fine.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
My Wii reads Brawl past the Strap and Loading screens, then the disc stops and i get "Disc could not be read." My copy of Brawl i've had for a year, and it has NO visible flaw on it besides a very very (near unnoticable) slight scratch near its rim. Okay, now that that's understood: My sisters have a deplorable copy of Wii Sports. It's copletely MUTILATED with scratches and fingerprints. It literally looks like they attempted to engrave their names. It loads without flaw, in the slightest. What is the cause of this issue? I'm going to try again tomorrow, then i'll go and buy a new copy if need be.

This is one "happy" new year.

Was this the wrong place to ask?

dnjjkelly

Smash Rookie
Hi, had the same problem with my wii. went on to you tube and looked at zombie consoles .com or something similar. great videos to help you open your wii. I had to order some tri wing screwdrivers first. My wii was full of fluff and dust so I cleaned it all out. I was getting the same error messages as you and my wii would take a disc and eject but would not recognise the game disc. The wii will not spin because the laser optic has failed. It may look like it's working but it won't be. You may be able to see the red light from the laser but trust me, it will be the laser not sending a strong enough signal to the optic, back to the disc. I took it to a local console fixing shop and he fitted a new laser assembly. (£40.00GBP) Seeing it done has made me confident to replace mine again if needed. Hope this helps you and everybody else struggling for an answer.

Top Bottom