• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Brawl + Dorms = Good Idea?

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Title is rather self-explanatory. I just want some more opinion on his, preferablly from Melee players who took Melee with them to college, and about the circumstances of owning the latest gaming platform, in your dorm room, & Melee.

raxus

Smash Cadet
To be honest, this topic is exactly why I haven't bought the Wii yet, because I know I would have no discipline or self control to balance playing games with my school work and such

especially considering how much I already procrastinate

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
my freshman year in college i brought smash 64 and melee (most ppl like 64 better) and everyone was hooked on it.

1) If you bring it, expect every to ALWAYS be in your room playing or asking to play.
2) protect your stuff cuz it can and will get STOLEN

my roomate and I lost 4 controllers, and a friend of mine lost the a/v cords

i reccomend you just bring a controller and play in someone else's room. but if you have to then i guess you have to.......

Defiance

Smash Apprentice
my freshman year in college i brought smash 64 and melee (most ppl like 64 better) and everyone was hooked on it.

1) If you bring it, expect every to ALWAYS be in your room playing or asking to play.
2) protect your stuff cuz it can and will get STOLEN

my roomate and I lost 4 controllers, and a friend of mine lost the a/v cords

i reccomend you just bring a controller and play in someone else's room. but if you have to then i guess you have to.......
That's hillarious, you think you'd learn after you lost the first one. In my residence we had a PS2, xbox and N64 in the lounge, everyone got their stuff back at the end of the year, no problems, expect for that jerk who broke one of the controllers. Depends on the situation, just be vigilant.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
That's hillarious, you think you'd learn after you lost the first one. In my residence we had a PS2, xbox and N64 in the lounge, everyone got their stuff back at the end of the year, no problems, expect for that jerk who broke one of the controllers. Depends on the situation, just be vigilant.
no they were all stolen at once lol. we used to keep them in the lounge, but after that we kept in my room then they were safe. We suspect they were stolen because we were always playin late at night and we were really loud during "quiet" hours...

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
To be honest, this topic is exactly why I haven't bought the Wii yet, because I know I would have no discipline or self control to balance playing games with my school work and such

especially considering how much I already procrastinate
I was gonna reply to this, but I'm too busy playing Nintendo DS :)

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
Kinda reminds me of when I visited my cousin up at his dorm. All he did was play videogames(mostly halo 2) and one of his papers was like 2 days late when I was over. Lol, also that they had a fridge right next to the lounge that people would steal food from and someone put a piece of paper on theirs saying "[name](forgot whose), don't steal". Dam, that was fun though, we played a lot of halo 2 in the lounge over those three days I was over and I got to kick some *** at smash too.

Melo-tone

Smash Cadet
All I can say is that because of Smash this semester, probably,

GPA < Number of times I've Tauntspiked people with Luigi
Either you are the greatest taunt spiker this world will ever know. or you have a low GPA.
considering in real game I've only tauntspiked 2 times, you must have alot of failing grades :O

LOL!!!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Taking my Gamecube + Melee to college was the best choice I ever made. I gathered some friends together and formed a crew because they were dedicated to learning the tournament tactics! It was fun to watch our crew go from playing FFA to playing 1v1 as we discovered the harm in playing FFA. Then we learned that the tournament community plays with team attack ON, so we started playing 2v2 that way.

That crew has long since dispersed, and I'm like 200x better than I was, but it was awesome always having a crew member to practice with while others were in class. :)

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
So, suffice to say doing this would be a surefire method of making friends fast, while perhaps not the most study-savvy friends, friends none-the-less :-D

Addled_Leper

Smash Rookie
I have to say that it all depends on your level of self control. Sadly for me it is situational, where sometimes I can chill just pounding away at my many, many math problems while my friends are smashing it up just a few feet away. Other times, Im starting out on my homework and then I get sucked into watching them and soon enough Im playing too = (. Wait, I think in those cases it goes =D (while smashing) into = ( as you realize its 2am and you still have work to finish.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Yeah, I failed to mention all the skipped homework and whatnot.

Biosage X

Smash Apprentice
this is actully an interesting subject to me, being a high school senior and have just sent my freshman dues to the university i am going to be attending. I have not seen my housing plans yet, but from what it seems, most of the dorms are 2people - bathroom - 2 more people, so, my question is...

would you all consider it wise to bring my nintendo wii, melee, and brawl whenever it drops, or just bring a controller, and leech off everyone elses stuff?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
this is actully an interesting subject to me, being a high school senior and have just sent my freshman dues to the university i am going to be attending. I have not seen my housing plans yet, but from what it seems, most of the dorms are 2people - bathroom - 2 more people, so, my question is...

would you all consider it wise to bring my nintendo wii, melee, and brawl whenever it drops, or just bring a controller, and leech off everyone elses stuff?
I'll just say this: a couple of my crew members decided not to bring their Gamecubes to school, but they regretted it heavily once they discovered how fun it is with other competitive players. So, maybe bring it and keep it in hiding if you don't want to be distracted at first (or don't want to tempt anyone with stealing it). But I think you'd be glad you had it. What else is it gonna do? :p

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Considering how avid a student I am, I'm more worried that my Wii will feel nelected when I got to college. I probably won't bring my whole game library, anyway, Just my favorite games. But I'll probably only play once a week or so...

Wardub

Smash Cadet
yea i have been thinking about this as well, im a senior now and planning on bringing my wii. I need to figure a way to keep it secure, any ideas?

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
yea i have been thinking about this as well, im a senior now and planning on bringing my wii. I need to figure a way to keep it secure, any ideas?
in my dorms they had a secure locker inside each room.....if they don't have that then i don't know unless you trust your roomate. my roomate and I never let anyone in our room while we were gone and nothing ever got stolen from our room, but things were stolen form our hall lounge

Addled_Leper

Smash Rookie
I keep my Wii in my room. My door is locked whenever the room is empty. I've never had anything stolen... though, my laptop is my main concern, 1500$ vs 250$ for a wii just doesnt compare.

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
As long as you trust your roommate, and to a lower extent those you play with, as long as you keep your door locked when you're not there it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd never leave anything I didn't mind losing in a lounge though.

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
lol, this is has stirred quite the mix of replies! I am curious about this whole securing the wii/gamecube though.. I'm thinking.. a 3,000$ vault in the corner, right next to the fridge, would do the trick!

Any other ideas on how to secure something like that? (aside from obv. locking your door when you're not there.) hiding it maybe?

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
In my room is a Wii, Xbox 360, and PS2. I have plenty of games, and my DS is usually sitting around. I also have 5 guitars/basses, a nice amp, and a nice laptop.

Lock your door. Lock lock lock lock lock your door. If its suites, make your suitemates lock their door.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I'm planning on hiding mine in my room somewhere and making sure that the dorm room is locked. I'll probably take my 360 as well but leave that in my room since I won't be buying Halo 3. Well, I don't have a 360 yet, but I'm getting one before I go to college.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
My roommate and I have a Wii (and a PS2) and Melee in our room, and the result isn't quite as disasterous as you might think. We both play a lot, but generally we've got enough self-control to stop when we really need to. Plus, video games tend to come in cycles for us. I recently came out of a Kingdom Hearts phase, and my roommate's in the middle of a NCAA March Madness phase. A month ago, we were playing Madden for the Wii constantly. The point is that you're eventually going to be able to pull yourself away from the Wii long enough to eat, poop, and shower. I can't say anything for your GPA, but I'll tell you this: Everyone will love you if you bring a Wii. Maybe not for the right reasons though...

Oh well...

beebee

Smash Apprentice
Im bringing my gamecube to college and hopefully i can save enought money so i can buy a wii. If i can get my hands on brawl when it comes out that would be so awesome. I know wats going to happen though cuz im rooming with my best friend and hes a game freak like me. Im probably going to fail my first year of college. :D

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Heyyyy, I used to live in Riverside, California! :D (right next to some train tracks at one point, and before that, next to some golf course)

Yeah, I'm a lot more concerned about a computer addiction than I am about being addicted to Melee. My feeling is that I'll play Smash when friends wanna come over & play smash, and just rely on them to go back to their own dorms when they need to study and then follow suit then!

Top Bottom