• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WiFi question...

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. In a nutshell, what does this do?

http://www.wifi.com/p_products_p70_D-Link Compact Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter.html

Basically, I'm wondering if that's what I think it is. My friend has broadband internet, but does not have a wireless router. Is it possible to use that thing, plug into a computer that is connected to the internet, and set up a wireless network for other devices to connect to? Or is a router the only way to set up a wireless network?

And if a wireless router is the only way to go...then what does this do?

http://www.buy.com/prod/wi-fi-usb-connector/q/loc/108/204091156.html

It seems like it does create it's own wireless access point...but then there must be a way to do it with the usb rather then a router...

jgrant1100

Smash Apprentice
i'm here to help

a d link is a wireless router.
but do not buy a d link the suck had one sent wifi badly and died quick

the nintendo wifi you plug directly into your computer it sends your wireless conection out though your computer like a wireless router.

if your not tech savy i would go with the nintendo wifi ecspecially if your internet is closer to the wii.

if you no a little about setting a router up and you are willing to spend egnough on a good router like what i have a 2 antenea linksys router and if your wii is further away i would get the router

hope it helps
hope you can read it ;it's 2:50 in the morning and i'm typing on the wii

ps buy the internet channel

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
i'm here to help

a d link is a wireless router.
but do not buy a d link the suck had one sent wifi badly and died quick

the nintendo wifi you plug directly into your computer it sends your wireless conection out though your computer like a wireless router.

if your not tech savy i would go with the nintendo wifi ecspecially if your internet is closer to the wii.

if you no a little about setting a router up and you are willing to spend egnough on a good router like what i have a 2 antenea linksys router and if your wii is further away i would get the router

hope it helps
hope you can read it ;it's 2:50 in the morning and i'm typing on the wii

ps buy the internet channel
Haha..this isn't for me. I already have a router for my home...but my friend doesn't have a router. She has broadband, but she doesn't have a wireless signal so it's annoying whenever I bring over my DS to play with her and we can't connect to eachother... I want to get her a router but they're just too expensive (good ones, anyways), and I thought a cheap little USB thing would work fine.....

I don't know X_X

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, then the Nintendo Wifi USB Connector would be what you're looking for. Just plug it into one of your friends computers, and it will give you a wireless Access Point to connect to. It's not as fast as a full-fledged wifi router, but gets the job done for simple DS games at a very low cost.

Plus it's simple to just plug it in and go without complicated setups.

antimatter

Smash Lord
the wifi connectors arent sold on nintendo.com anymore. does anyone know where you can get one besides ebay?

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
Yes, then the Nintendo Wifi USB Connector would be what you're looking for. Just plug it into one of your friends computers, and it will give you a wireless Access Point to connect to. It's not as fast as a full-fledged wifi router, but gets the job done for simple DS games at a very low cost.

Plus it's simple to just plug it in and go without complicated setups.
Ok thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

On another note, yesterday I went to Gamestop and they had one of these. I was about to purchase one, however the guy informed me that there was a better solution... He said that this product will set up a wireless signal dedicated ONLY to a Nintendo DS or a Wii....however there was a different Wifi USB Connector that worked with anything...PSPs, laptops, Nintendo products...and the such. He told me that I could find this at Best Buy, however when I went to Best Buy, the people there informed me that the only way to get a wireless signal was to buy a router. That's what got me confused enough to start this thread. Does such a Wifi USB Connector exist? Because that would be very helpful... And is the one in my first post this very same thing?

Top Bottom