• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WiFi Lag; Does the Host have more lag?

Mizar

Smash Ace
It seemed to me that the host was having more trouble with lag than the one that joined the game. I just feel a really slow reaction (like 300 to 500ms) when I'm hosting. My opponent says he doesnt have any lag at all. On the opposite, when I join the other players' room, it plays alot better and I have the feeling theres almost no lag at all.

Do you guys have the answer for me? Who lags worse, host or joiner?

Mizar

Smash Ace
I think it just depends on how good someone's wi-fi is.
Have you even read the whole thing?

Maybe this is more clear?

2 people. Person A and B

SITUATION 1
A (host) B (joined)

Person A feels more lag in the match. Person B says he doesnt lag at all.

SITUATION 2
B (host) A (joined)

Person A now feels alot more free in movement and lags less.

SAME CONNECTIONS WERE USED FOR BOTH SITUATIONS.

It could be a matter of interpretation, although I doubt that since the host is (in my experience) playing a lot worse than when the same person joins the hosted game.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I really don't think so.
I usually the hoster of games, but I get likfe no lag. And the people I paly say the same thing.

But I can't really be 100% sure since I'm not there to see.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
I didn't make Brawl, so these are only educated guesses:

The "host" of the match (the player who started the room) is not necessarily the host of the game, in online multiplayer terms. The host is the system that is in charge of things like time remaining, items appearing, things like that. Usually, the host player will experience no lag because the system doesn't have to report its movements to a remote system. The host of the game may change from round to round.
It's more likely that Brawl disallows the host from moving until the movement has been reported to the other system, thus keeping sync. In this case, the lag for the players would theoretically be the same.

Top Bottom