• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wierd spike thing with Up+B

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so maybe someone can tell me whether this is supposed to happen or not. I was off the ledge but almost there, all I had to do was move towards the ledge and I would land on it, so while I was doing that I hit Up B. My opponent was above me and I hit him with Up B, he then proceeded to spike downwards and I got a KO for it.

I know Up B pulls opponents down toward you, but it seemed like a spike. However, it may not have been because it was a CPU and it could have very much just been a meteor smash.
So is this a spike or not?

Thanks for the help, and hopefully this wasn't too much of a nooby question.

Oh and one more thing, I think I have discovered a use for the side smash. It may not be very useful but it seems get to mix it up a bit and mind games. If an opponent is behind you, the last frames of a side smash that attacks in the opposite direction of your opponent will hit them.

For example (A is Zamus, B is opponent, arrows is direction they are facing, underscore is range of side smash):

_B>__A>____________

Hope that helps.

Garde

Smash Ace
Everything you posted is really common knowledge. The tip of the whip in up+B spikes, it's been known since before the game was even released in the US.

I'm pretty sure the same thing can be said about f-smash as well. Even though it's last active hitbox (which is 2 frames) hits behind her, there are still approximately 40 frames after that hitbox is gone before you can do anything else. That makes this move fairly worthless, and it has less reach than side+B. The only time you'd throw this move out is when you know you can sweet spot it and it won't miss, and your side+B has decayed too much to get the KO at the same %.

ashes

Smash Apprentice
Ya I agree with Garde.
While off the stage I only use the up+B spike as a last ditch effort or if i really have no danger of dying, because it is hard to land and can be problematic if you miss. It is really cool though when it does land.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Everything you posted is really common knowledge. The tip of the whip in up+B spikes, it's been known since before the game was even released in the US.

I'm pretty sure the same thing can be said about f-smash as well. Even though it's last active hitbox (which is 2 frames) hits behind her, there are still approximately 40 frames after that hitbox is gone before you can do anything else. That makes this move fairly worthless, and it has less reach than side+B. The only time you'd throw this move out is when you know you can sweet spot it and it won't miss, and your side+B has decayed too much to get the KO at the same %.
Actually, I was asking if up B spikes, so I guess you answered that.

Edit: Looking back, I phrased my first post a little weird so it doesn't seem like a question, I'll go back and fix it. Thanks though.

Also, I knew it would be really inconvenient to land that, I just thought it might be interesting to someone who doesn't know.

Adapt

Smash Lord
the only thing i find forward smash good for is getting early kills after a d-smash stun. The f-smash send your opponent on a horizontal trajectory, so if he's a character with a bad recovery he wont be able to make it back, where if you use f-B he could due to the 45 deg trajectory

Top Bottom