• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Widescreen or 4:3?

Sebovich

Smash Apprentice
Which is recommended that you play on?
Melee of course uses 4:3, but since Brawl came with Widescreen support, you should be able to play with that right?
All the streams I´m seeing are usually 4:3 (or att least look like it) and I´m wondering if there is any reason for that?
Like the gameplay is smoother or if the P:M team made any special adjustments to the engine to benefit 4:3 over 16:9?

K.Louis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0421-0500
People are experimenting with widescreen Melee streaming via Devolution, but people without widescreen TV's stream in 4:3 because widescreen mode would look normal on the stream but squished on their TV

Doq

Smash Lord
Which is recommended that you play on?
Melee of course uses 4:3, but since Brawl came with Widescreen support, you should be able to play with that right?
All the streams I´m seeing are usually 4:3 (or att least look like it) and I´m wondering if there is any reason for that?
Like the gameplay is smoother or if the P:M team made any special adjustments to the engine to benefit 4:3 over 16:9?
It's because even though the display looks like 16/9, the actual display is still 640x480, so streams/recordings would be off aspect as elements would be squished in. Even then it depends on your TV.

Sebovich

Smash Apprentice
It's because even though the display looks like 16/9, the actual display is still 640x480, so streams/recordings would be off aspect as elements would be squished in. Even then it depends on your TV.
So, If it´s still 640x480, wouldnt that mean that the picture would be distorted? So, If Im playing a match on a 16:9 screen I might get a different feeling when playing 4:3?
Im mainly interested in what effect the Widescreen vs 4:3 has on the game.

Doq

Smash Lord
So, If it´s still 640x480, wouldnt that mean that the picture would be distorted? So, If Im playing a match on a 16:9 screen I might get a different feeling when playing 4:3?
Im mainly interested in what effect the Widescreen vs 4:3 has on the game.
[ripped straight from the old Brawl dojo]
16/9:

4/3:

Pick the one the size of your TV.

Sebovich

Smash Apprentice
Looks to me like the only thing changed was the hud?
So, in any way, Im better off at setting my TV to 4:3, rather than widescreen mode to get optimal gameplay (in smash) since the game was designed in 4:3?
Sorry but this is all confusing, since I have my Wii set to widescreen mode but according to those pics, there are no differences other than the hud?

Doq

Smash Lord
Looks to me like the only thing changed was the hud?
So, in any way, Im better off at setting my TV to 4:3, rather than widescreen mode to get optimal gameplay (in smash) since the game was designed in 4:3?
Sorry but this is all confusing, since I have my Wii set to widescreen mode but according to those pics, there are no differences other than the hud?
One's shorter than the other, that's why. There is a screen size difference between the two, one being a visual 640x480 and another being a visual 848x480 but both share the same input. There's a circle in the background of the screen ratio selector. Use that to figure out which screen ratio is best.

Sebovich

Smash Apprentice
One's shorter than the other, that's why. There is a screen size difference between the two, one being a visual 640x480 and another being a visual 848x480 but both share the same input. There's a circle in the background of the screen ratio selector. Use that to figure out which screen ratio is best.
Thanks for pointing that out! I totally missed that the screen was cut at the end of the stage at one pic, I focused mostly on the obvious hud-change. Yeah, I´ve done that, thanks for the explanations!

Top Bottom